Looks Like Savage Buckled To PC

Savages decision is an insult to native Americans. Clearly the logo was to honor the chief, and it was gifted to Arthur Savage.
I would love to see the descendants of Chief Lame Deer, or his tribe, protest this decision and demand a return to the original logo and to the honor it represented.

While that story sounds nice, and is on their website, it doesn't really make sense to me. They say Chief Lame Deer came to work with Savage in 1919. I had a Savage 1907 pistol, made in 1911 IIRC, with the same logo.

khakihat.jpg

I have 3-4 of these hats, thinking I may be rich in a 100 years.

In 100 years you will be charged with a hate crime for displaying one in public.

While that story sounds nice, and is on their website, it doesn't really make sense to me. They say Chief Lame Deer came to work with Savage in 1919. I had a Savage 1907 pistol, made in 1911 IIRC, with the same logo.

Yeah, they started using the Indian logo before Chief Lame Deer.

I have a whole collection of early Savage pistol ads on one of my websites:

http://vintagepistols.com/1907/ad25.html?adid=25

There's also an early color version of their logo (that I "restored") at the top of the page.

On the plus side.... Ive got a relative who works for Savage who texted me last week that this happened and they were getting rid of all their "Indian head" appeal and gear.

Got me a couple shirts for cheap.

any way to maybe get a few more? that'd be great. paid for obv. I'm local in western ma if it'd help

I wonder what will become of Indian Motorcycles???

2181785918_a1301b68b0_b.jpg

So the same lame ass people that don't want to see the indian head are the same people that are also telling them to stop making guns as well. Let me know how that works out for you.
Nope. Savage is owned by Vista Outdoor, which was spun off by Alliant TechSystems. And if Vista thinks they'll make more money by ditching the old graphics, boom.

Honestly, that logo was always the turn off for me. It was so very big on the stock. And red. Do we have a particular article yet confirming it was because of PC or is this just conveniently tweaking things to fit a narrative here?

Their online store still has these and other variations in stock for only $9 bucks.
I just placed an order for a few different items with the retired logo.

https://store.savagearms.com/apparel/capsandhats.html

Update:

My order came in today, I got one of each different hat style featuring the Chief Lame Deer logo, a keychain with a metal indian head logo medallion and a few of the discontinued indian head decals.
When the supply is gone they likely won't have them anymore.

And Roach Brothers renames their "Redskin Potato Salad" to "Red Potato Salad".

Seriously.

Funny how the PC crowd had been pressuring the Washington Redskins for years to change their name and logo, but I haven't heard squat about them doing the same to the KC Chiefs, Atlanta Braves or Cleveland Indians.
If any of the team logos are perceived as being insulting to native Americans, the worst offender has to be Clevelands Chief Wahoo:

Chief-Wahoo.jpg

Here are some alternatives:

Caucasians.jpg

cover-8.jpg

I want the name of crackers to be changed, very offending. It is a bit funny to name your company Savage then put an Indian picture on it

I want the name of crackers to be changed, very offending. It is a bit funny to name your company Savage then put an Indian picture on it

I'm 100% sure it was funny and intentional, since that's the owners name and given the time period of its founding. But that doesn't mean that 100 years later people can't just get over the fact that its not still 100 years ago and people just need to move the **** on.

There is no reason to alter 100 years of brand recognition. It's a stupid move.

Honestly, that logo was always the turn off for me. It was so very big on the stock. And red. Do we have a particular article yet confirming it was because of PC or is this just conveniently tweaking things to fit a narrative here?

you know those were just stickers right?

Update:

My order came in today, I got one of each different hat style featuring the Chief Lame Deer logo, a keychain with a metal indian head logo medallion and a few of the discontinued indian head decals.
When the supply is gone they likely won't have them anymore.

I grabbed a hat, too. Honestly, IDC what they do in the name of political correctness or whatever....I like their products a lot.

Funny how the PC crowd had been pressuring the Washington Redskins for years to change their name and logo, but I haven't heard squat about them doing the same to the KC Chiefs, Atlanta Braves or Cleveland Indians.
If any of the team logos are perceived as being insulting to native Americans, the worst offender has to be Clevelands Chief Wahoo:

Chief-Wahoo.jpg

Caucasians.jpg

cover-8.jpg

That has been an issue for a while with the Indians.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11574381/cleveland-indians-say-goodbye-chief-wahoo

How do we know why they got rid of it? They never changed it before and the particular native they used gave his permission to use his likeness. I'm willing to bet this was just corporate boardroom shenanigans and nothing to do with PC.

I think you may be right. This probably has more to do with "tacticool" than PC. Savage has traditionally made pretty conservative hunting rifles. They probably just want to appeal to the current fad of modern black "combat" rifles, which is a growing and lucrative market. The old logo was just really old feeling.

Honestly, that logo was always the turn off for me. It was so very big on the stock. And red.

Those stickers on the stock come off pretty easily. Unless you are one of those types who like to leave stickers on everything because reasons, like the yoots do with their ball caps.

Your link is broken.

Sorry, that link is nearly three years old too.
The new PC overlords erased it because it contained information about the companies history and relationship with Chief Lame Deer. Just as they have done with the logo of his likeness, it has been deleted.

Chief-Wahoo.jpg

Caucasians.jpg

cover-8.jpg

I guess I should be offended as well.

CelticsLogo_History.gif

5446b189e5949.image.gif

And Chief Wahoo is now gone. No more on the outfits. After this (next?) year, you can't get the gear. I grabbed me a shirt last Summer.

Back
Top Bottom