Looking into a 1-4 scope for flat top AR

I've read the reviews and they seem to be broken up into 3 price points and seems you pay for what you get (for the most part):
Budget: Up to $100 (BSA, UTG...)
Economy: $100-200 (Nikonm, Bushnell, Mueller...)
Expensive $200 and Up (Vortex, Leupod...)

Are there any out there that fit into the Economy budget yet offer stellar value? Likewise, are there any that are over hyped and aren't worth it?

Form what I can tell, the Bushnell AR offers good value at an attractive price point: http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

I ran the Bushnell Throwdown PCL, and I thought it was garbage. I'm currently running the Vortex Crossfire ii, and absolutely love it. The V-Brite model will push it over $200, but the V-plex (non illuminated) will probably hit the Economy ticket. The V-Brite isn't bright enough for daytime use, but it definitely works indoors, and from dusk forward.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Cross...786150&sr=8-1&keywords=crossfire+ii+1-4+vplex

Stick with vortex or millet in the $250 range.

Normally I would consider over $1000 expensive for optics and 500-$1000 as midrange.

I have a millet DMS that is on a toy gun. Illuminated donut/dot reticle. Decent ~$230

I've read the reviews and they seem to be broken up into 3 price points and seems you pay for what you get (for the most part):

Are there any out there that fit into the Economy budget yet offer stellar value? Likewise, are there any that are over hyped and aren't worth it?

Form what I can tell, the Bushnell AR offers good value at an attractive price point: http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

For ultra budgeting, you can get one of these Nikon scopes. It isn't a variable, but I threw one on my wife's Windham and it works really well for the price.

I really see $300-600 to be the low end of what I would trust my life to.

Right around $400 you can get Vortex and Leupold low power variables. Most of my Leupolds were bought when marked down a good bit for sales. Same with my Aimpoints. Keep your eyes open for sales etc and you can easily save yourself $100.

If it is just for fun, or an emergency spare there are somethings under that range that do not totally blow.

I really see $300-600 to be the low end of what I would trust my life to.

Right around $400 you can get Vortex and Leupold low power variables. Most of my Leupolds were bought when marked down a good bit for sales. Same with my Aimpoints. Keep your eyes open for sales etc and you can easily save yourself $100.

If it is just for fun, or an emergency spare there are somethings under that range that do not totally blow.

Range toy, nothing more. I don't need anything battle proven with flawless glass, just something that is reliable.

I have a millet dms on one of my ARs and it's been great. I got it off midway on sale for $130

I ran the Bushnell Throwdown PCL, and I thought it was garbage. I'm currently running the Vortex Crossfire ii, and absolutely love it. The V-Brite model will push it over $200, but the V-plex (non illuminated) will probably hit the Economy ticket. The V-Brite isn't bright enough for daytime use, but it definitely works indoors, and from dusk forward.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Cross...786150&sr=8-1&keywords=crossfire+ii+1-4+vplex

Thoughts on the Crossfire II? I'm thinking about putting one on my 20in AR

How is eye relief and glass clarity? Is the reticle usable for speed?

At this point I plan to buy just about any optic from Votex. Their warranty/guaranty is tough to beat.
Vortex .....broken or defective send it in fixed or replaced ...simple.
Few shooting friends have crossfire II 1x4
I like the leupold Mark AR with fire dot. Friends kids has one. Clean glass but 500$

I own a,bunch of cheap scopes, dots and such. For what they are on and what I expect they are fine.
I will say once you actually start using better optics you slowly stop using cheap optics.
Although not "expensive" I recently purchased a scope for 900$......love it.
Up until then my best scope was a first generation Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x32 was a,big deal way back then! Still a great scope and holds zero after all these years.

One final note on cheap scopes. They are fine for zero and forget BUT if your constantly playing with the windage and elevation the cheapness will show.
I have a 20$ Chincom scope on one of my 22s it's held zero for 20 plus years. But if you mess with the windage or elevation knobs you will go nuts. Back lash false clicks will drive you nuts.
4 clicks can be 1" , 1/2" or nothing at all... it's clear enough for 25 yard plinking but resolution and clarity fall off quickly beyond that

Last edited:

Dude that is all one price range: Cheap chicom crap.

To get a decent 1-4x you need to be $600+ (SWFA) and to get a good one you are in the $1,000+ range (Vortex Razor HD).

Save your money unless your rifle lives in a closet and never goes to the range or stick with the $300 Burris.

vortex strike eagle, period.

I was able to get one slightly used on ebay for 280. Great glass at that price. Wouldn't take it to war, but I would feel comfortable competing with it.

Last edited:
I guess for me it comes down to weight of having a 1-4 scope and mount as opposed to a red dot with a 3X multiplier. I have seen many 3 gun setups run both, but is there really a preference? Mainly I'm looking for a range toy with something that works out to 100 yards.

Better sit down for this one. .................

My buddy just ordered the new Nightforce 1-4 with mount and rings, purpose built for CMP Service Rifle. ........................
.....he paid......
$1900.

And that's with a Active Miltary discount.

EDIT, it's a fixed 4.5x

Last edited:
I've decided on the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. Not too hideous, but the mount prices (as I'm learning) don't come cheap. The Larue is almost ($200) 50% of the optic.

A good scope in a crap mount is no better than a crap scope in a good mount.
I have Vortex cantilever (3" offset) Burris PEPR, and Warne mounts on various AR's. All are under the price of a LaRue. Do you need a quick detachable mount?

Back
Top Bottom