Looking for some high velocity 9mm

Agnotology

NES Member
So, tomorrow I head out to get my Canik. I have been digging around looking at different ammo and would prefer to shoot something close to the speed/weight to what I intend to carry, which is 90GR 9MM Interceptor - Detroit Ammo Co.
So I was thinking something in the 70 grain 1600 fps/ 90 grain 1400 fps range.

I know people tend to gravitate to towards weight over velocity, but I am not in that camp.

I think you ought to reconsider and stick within the established norms of 115-147gr.

115gr. Winchester Silvertip is rated at 1225 fps.
8b90a4b1-f647-4ef5-af5e-6213b811021f_text.gif

Last edited:
I think you ought to reconsider and stick within the established norms of 115-147gr.

Any particular reason? I plan on buying some CCI Blazer Brass as a point of comparison, because it is a known quantity that feeds and shoots in just about anything you put it in. But as far as those heavier loads, I would have started with a .40 or a 10mm if I was going in that direction.

what he said.

you're looking at unicorn ammo that claims no more than 3/4 of the recommended (12" to 18") gel penetration. Even without worshipping at the altar of jello tests, that sounds underwhelming at $2/round.

HST, silvertip, etc. are all known quantities.

Last edited:
Any particular reason? I plan on buying some CCI Blazer Brass as a point of comparison, because it is a known quantity that feeds and shoots in just about anything you put it in. But as far as those heavier loads, if I wanted something with 500+ lbs of energy, I would have started with a .40 or a 10mm.
The heavier loads actually have less energy. The 147gr. Silvertip at 1010 fps has 333 ft. lbs. where as the 115 at 1225 fps is 383 ft. lbs.

I carry the 147gr. Softer shooting.

Any particular reason? I plan on buying some CCI Blazer Brass as a point of comparison, because it is a known quantity that feeds and shoots in just about anything you put it in. But as far as those heavier loads, I would have started with a .40 or a 10mm if I was going in that direction.
1676493562069.png

It's literally the same muzzle energy. But with a known quantity that hits standards. Better still, at closer to 50-75c/round, you can actually afford to shoot enough to know how it behaves in your firearm.

View attachment 721587

It's literally the same muzzle energy. But with a known quantity that hits standards. Better still, at closer to 50-75c/round, you can actually afford to shoot enough to know how it behaves in your firearm.

The lead-free rounds I was looking at were 40 cents a round, although now I cannot find them.

what he said.

you're looking at unicorn ammo that claims no more than 3/4 of the recommended (12" to 18") gel penetration. Even without worshipping at the altar of jello tests, that sounds underwhelming at $2/round.

HST, silvertip, etc. are all known quantities.

I looked at those, most of them develop 1100-1200 fps out of PCC barrels. in the case of the 147 grain, sub 1000 fps. Which isn't fast enough to cause a HP to expand. Even more so out of a 5" or shorter barrel.
What problem are you solving by going lead-free in your (defensive) ammo?

My wife will be willing to handle it. She has a strong aversion to lead after the lead poisoning she suffered at a young age. It's not a logical aversion, but I accept it and work around it.

The heavier loads actually have less energy. The 147gr. Silvertip at 1010 fps has 333 ft. lbs. where as the 115 at 1225 fps is 383 ft. lbs.

I carry the 147gr. Softer shooting.

Apologies, you find 147 grain softer shooting? as in, less felt recoil?

I looked at those, most of them develop 1100-1200 fps out of PCC barrels. in the case of the 147 grain, sub 1000 fps. Which isn't fast enough to cause a HP to expand. Even more so out of a 5" or shorter barrel.
Testing of the products in question tends to disagree with your assessment.

My wife will be willing to handle it. She has a strong aversion to lead after the lead poisoning she suffered at a young age. It's not a logical aversion, but I accept it and work around it.
Does she wear lipstick? Does she touch brass doorknobs?

There are very good reasons to avoid lead. Hobbling your defensive weapon is not a good one.

So, tomorrow I head out to get my Canik. I have been digging around looking at different ammo and would prefer to shoot something close to the speed/weight to what I intend to carry, which is 90GR 9MM Interceptor - Detroit Ammo Co.
So I was thinking something in the 70 grain 1600 fps/ 90 grain 1400 fps range.

I know people tend to gravitate to towards weight over velocity, but I am not in that camp.

There are many experts that recommend carrying the same ammunition as law enforcement departments.

For one they are often tested and proven to function well in self defense. While gimmicky rounds with higher speed

or unusual tips like the R.I.P. ammo, would be a wet dream for a liberal prosecutor. I am not telling you what to

do, it's your choice.

isn't practically all defense ammo JHP. Not a major exposure to lead there, at least until it's shot...

162% expansion out of a HK VP9 (4.1 inch barrel). 12 inch penetration.

Does the 162% mean the projectile was 162% of original size? I.E. - 14.5mm ? When does he show himself measuring this? 5 rounds to test FPS? That sample size is a touch low. How does a 20% NATO block that has been recast poorly at least once with dirt and detritus in it and has been shot prior compare with the actual FBI gel block test at 10% gelatin. Those gel blocks are extremely consistent. That 14" of penetration only means something when compared to shooting a similar block.

Apologies, I was off-base on the FPS for those rounds though. What makes you pick this design over the more modern Ranger T series?
There are many experts that recommend carrying the same ammunition as law enforcement departments.

For one they are often tested and proven to function well in self defense. While gimmicky rounds with higher speed

or unusual tips like the R.I.P. ammo, would be a wet dream for a liberal prosecutor. I am not telling you what to

do, it's your choice.

If I have to deal with a left leaning ( I don't call them liberal because they do not follow any of the classic tenets of liberalism) prosecutor, they are going to try to turn me into a launch pad for their career even if I shot them with an airsoft gun. I do understand the point you are making though, and will consider it.

Last edited:
FMJ ammo.

There is more lead in the primer than what she would get touching the FMJ when loading the mag.

Her bigger worry should be all the lead dust all over the ground at the range. So a second pair of shoes and change of clothes and same for you so you don't bring it in the house.

Besides that, wash your hands after shooting.

I have a box or two of this just because (non blemished, the the first link that came up).

Novelty for me. But seems like what you want

Attachments

• 79AD1C30-94ED-464D-ABDF-0ED2E98A5198.png
    79AD1C30-94ED-464D-ABDF-0ED2E98A5198.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 1
I have a box or two of this just because (non blemished, the the first link that came up).

Novelty for me. But seems like what you want

are those 20 round or 50 round boxes? Skimming through I didn't see.
edit: oof 20 round boxes. I'd pay that for 50, but not for 20. I thought same powder and less projectile weight (read: cost) would mean 40 to 60 cent a round. I might have been mistaken in whatever I thought saw advertised as 90 grain HP doign 1400 fps for 40 cents a round.

Dude, 147gr HST expands just fine, as you can tell by looking at any of the gel tests. It also has a good reputation as being effective in the law enforcement community.

Pick whichever HST loading you like. If you prefer 115gr, fine, use that. It will still perform better than the load you are considering.

isn't practically all defense ammo JHP. Not a major exposure to lead there, at least until it's shot...
Yup. JHP results in less lead exposure than FMJ. In both cases, the copper jacket is swaged onto the lead bullet. The difference is the direction. For FMJ bullets, the copper jacket is swaged from the front, leaving the base mostly exposed lead. For JHP bullets, the copper jacket is swaged from the base of the bullet and crimped in the front.

Because the FMJ bullet’s base is not covered with the jacket, the lead base is exposed to the flames of combustion during firing, and a small bit of lead becomes airborne. In contrast, the base of the JHP bullet is covered by the copper jacket.

That said, most of the airborne lead comes from the primer.

The best way to avoid lead exposure is to shoot on outdoor ranges. Avoid indoor ranges. Then practice good hygiene.

Back
Top Bottom