Looking for recommendations on a spotting scope.

Laura

NES Member
Looking for an affordable spotting scope.

Is it possible to find a good spotting scope for under $300? I want something that has a good range of view, eye relief, easy to use, fog proof and durable - and if it came with a stand, that's be another great plus. Is there any that exist in this price range either online or near Peabody, MA?

I got one from Carl at FS. It's an import branded "Winchester" but it came with a nice hard case, a soft case, and a tripod. It's not up to Nikon or Leupold standards optically, but it works great on the range. I paid just over $100 for it about a year ago. Some guys look down their noses at this type of optic, but I see the target just fine with it. I think you are far better off with something of this quality for range use. Imagine knocking over your $1000+ Nikon at the range...

Regards,
Chris

John's reply

Hi Derek, I haven’t talked to you in a long time. Yes I’ve used my new scope. It’s fantastic. It’s definitely better than my Kowa.
I looked through one of the standard 80mm Celestron scopes on Sunday. Those are only about $159 from Adorama in New York, absolutely the best scope for the money. The one I have with the ED glass is about $459. Honestly I’m not sure that the ED glass is worth the extra money. I joined Reading on Jan 1st,, so I’m a member now.
Talk to you later,
John

Looks like the Celestron is the way to go.

Balls.............and I just bought that 821, too.
I don't think one can ask "Who makes/sells the best spotting scope for the money?" and not have a long thread concerning the subject.
CJC

I can sell my Kowa 660 on ebay, buy a 80mm Celestron and still have $$$ left over. :^)

Last edited:
I got a chance to look thru John's Celestron scope today at the BR&P CMP match. VERY NICE and a steal for the money. John said it is easily good out to 300 yds, the standard model comes with case, costs $159 at adorama.com, and has a no-BS lifetime warranty.

He likes it better than his Kowa.

I bought one of the KONUS scopes from www.jarheadtop.com - it's great! Very clear image, 20 to 60 zoom and an 80 mm objective for $195. Not only that, but if you decide you don't like it after a while, or decide to upgrade, Jim Owens will "refund" $100 of the cost.

Add a RAY VIN scope stand and Creedmoor scope cover, and you are good to go for about $300.

All highly recommended.

derek said:
Looks like the Celestron is the way to go.

OK,thanks for recommendation. But which Celestron? adorama.com has 16 different ones for sale.

I know very little about spotting scopes. I figure I want one that can handle 50' indoors for bullseye competition, and 100 yrd outside. I also figure to give high power a try when I get a milsurp! Can one scope do it all?

thanks,
Chuck

I had a really cheap $30 one for many years till my eyes got worse. Now i just got a new one for christmas from sportsmans guide while its not a top shelf brand nor quaility it works ok for me and my wallet. It was on sale and its a Konus it works.

Any distortion in the optics will be enhanced by the zoom. Good crisp image, high resolution and light gathering will be more beneficial that just a big zoom. I replaced a 18-60x60 zoom scope with with a 25x78. The image is much clearer and I can see under more conditions.

I don't have any experience with the Celestron scopes mentioned here, although I have heard good things about them. I have an Eagle Optics Raven with a Kowa 25LER eyepiece. I haven't been able to compare it side by side with a Kowa 77 or 80, but I'm happy with it. Under most conditions I can see .22 holes at 200 and 300 yards.

CD

Last edited:
I checked out John Payton's Celestron at BR&P's CMP match (100 yds) and the .223 holes were crisp and clear. John is a very serious competitive rifle shooter, as is Derek. I'll take their word for it and $180 is not that much to spend for one tool that lasts a lifetime, does the job for pistol or rifle, etc.

I have a much cheaper scope and it just isn't sharp at 100 yds for small holes! I am NOT a competitive shooter, but still why waste $50-60 on something that only will frustrate you?

Chuck said:
Can you help me understand why that's better then the 65mm with 30x - 90x Zoom for $53? More zoom is good, no? Thanks for any input folks!

http://www.adorama.com/CNC65.html?searchinfo=Celestron&item_no=4

cheers,
Chuck

No, more zoom is not necessarily good (unless you get very expensive glass). Zoom also amplifies mirage on your target.

Peyton does not have the $175 Celestron, he has the $450 model with ED glass.

I just received and used my $175 Celestron (non ED glass) this weekend. Ultima 80 - 20x60 zoom. Leave it on 20x and I believe this is the best scope you can get for the money. It is as clear or better than C.J.'s TSN 661. The 80 mm also gathers more light.

I could make out a few shoots in the black at 200 but only if the light was right. In high power, you typically don't need to see the holes - that's what the spotters are for. You need to be able to read wind and mirage, and read the rapid fire scores on the chalkboard.

I don't believe I'll need another scope for many years.

Tony,

John told me that the ED glass (he felt) wasn't worth the money on the Celestron and that the standard (cheaper) model was just as good.

Just reporting what he told me, I have no personal experience with either product (yet).

LenS said:
Tony,

John told me that the ED glass (he felt) wasn't worth the money on the Celestron and that the standard (cheaper) model was just as good.

Just reporting what he told me, I have no personal experience with either product (yet).

Yep, that's what I heard from him also and why I went with the cheaper one. The ED would probably help in some situations but I don't know what it would be. just wanted to clarify that the one you were looking through was the more expensive.

Derek, Billy said it was, "...A hell uvalot better than the Kowa he's been using for 30 years".

Celestron Ultima 80 looks good!

There is a very good read on the Celestron Ultima 80 at this site.

http://www.astronomics.com/main/pro...me/6KBA9F8JS8L88PS948KSF174T4/product_id/CU80

I would like to thank all you folks for your take on the scopes, I have been suffering through a cheap one for far too long. The only thing I was leary of is the length at 16 inches...it will JUST fit in my shooting box.

Thanks again.

It's been a while since this topic came up...

I finally bought one! I found the Celestron Ultima 80 with angled eye piece for $150 after shipping on eBay...Brand new in box. This thing is wonderful! Excellent clarity. It doesn't come with a tripod, but it's ok because I want to find one on my own that will work for my needs.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from buying from local shops.

As far as a nice spotting scope I just got one from Sportsman Guide http://sportsmansguide.com.

Nice store, it was on sale, I was ordering some stuff and they had it on a closeout sale($150 for $40). Go to there site and check out optics listing (about half way down on the left side).

Can anyone recommend a good spotting scope? I have pretty crappy eyesight, and I often have trouble seeing my shots on a target (especially when I’m shooting .22). While most of the scope’s use will be indoors (25’-75’), I will be taking it outdoors on occasion (50 - 200 yards). I want something that’s durable and is going to zoom right up on the target (did I mention I have crappy eyesight), but I don’t want to blow the bank on something that’s more than what I need. Any thoughts on the best bang for my buck?

Back
Top Bottom