• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for recommendations on a spotting scope.

While most of the scope’s use will be indoors (25’-75’), I will be taking it outdoors on occasion (50 - 200 yards).
These are two very different requirements. It doesn't take that much to see a .22 hole at 75'. It's a hole lot different at 200 yards when the targets are in shadow and/or the sun is in your eyes.

For the indoor range, you can use a light, cheap scope. For 200' yards, if you want to be able to see the .22 holes (and not the markers inserted into the hole by someone scoring the target in the butts), then you might look at a Kowa. Spendy and heavy, but you'll see a lot of them on high power firing lines.

Don't get the $100 winchester one you'll see around. I bought it and don't like it so much. The depth of focus is very short so it pops in and out of focus easily, particularly at 50'.

Matt

I agree that it's asking a lot of a scope to function well at both 50 feet and 200 yards, unless weight and cost are not considerations. I used a Bushnell Spacemaster for some 30 years or so for everything, and it did most everything pretty well, but it's a big heavy scope that just got to be too much in my pistol box, so last year for very short money I picked up a Celestron mini (here: https://www.highpointscientific.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=501 ) and I highly recommend it for bullseye shooting, especially if your box is already too heavy.

Thanks a lot (and thanks for the missing thread, dreppucci007). The Celestron looks like it'll do the trick.

It's been a while since this topic came up...

I finally bought one! I found the Celestron Ultima 80 with angled eye piece for $150 after shipping on eBay...Brand new in box. This thing is wonderful! Excellent clarity. It doesn't come with a tripod, but it's ok because I want to find one on my own that will work for my needs.

Is this the one you bought? And were these the guys you got it from?

http://tinyurl.com/yqjpgr

Thanks,

TBP

Is this the one you bought? And were these the guys you got it from?

http://tinyurl.com/yqjpgr

Thanks,

TBP

Close...I got this one:

Celestron Ultima 80 with Angled Eyepiece

celestron-ultima-80-spotting-scope.jpg

And no, I didn't get it from them...I got it on eBay, but it was from a private seller. Just got a good deal [smile]

Has anybody tried out both the celestron and the konus 80mm scopes and had a preference? Going to be looking mainly at .308, 100/200/300 yards. Maybe some 223 at 100.

And in general would it be worth a $200 to $300 jump to go from an 80mm objective to a 100mm objective for these distances?

Last edited:
I understand all of the jargon but how does that translate to what I will need to see a
.223 hole at 200 yds. Will a decent 20x60 80mm achieve this? I understand that the quality of the optics plays a big part as well as lighting.

Is there a way to know what magnification is needed at 200yds. for this purpose.

Thank you for any comments.

It's more the optical quality than magnification that will allow you to see .223 holes at 200 and 300 yards. Under most conditions I can see them at 200 yards with the 25X eyepiece on my scope. 300 is a little more of a challenge. If the light is right it's no problem, but some days the holes aren't visible at all. I have a Raven scope from Eagle Optics with a Kowa 25x LER eyepiece.

Using the 20-60x eyepiece that came with the scope I got about the same performance up to about 35 or 40x, but I had to get right up on the eyepiece for a good image. Beyond 40x there was too much distortion of the image.

celestron

I have the celestron 80 shown in previous threads. I can see 22 holes with it at 200 yards. They are on sale this week at Adorama camera sight for $145 new!! One of my friends has a Lieca ED glass scope, big money! He was shocked when he looked through my scope at 200 yards at how clear it was!!

I have the celestron 80 shown in previous threads. I can see 22 holes with it at 200 yards. They are on sale this week at Adorama camera sight for $145 new!! One of my friends has a Lieca ED glass scope, big money! He was shocked when he looked through my scope at 200 yards at how clear it was!!

I just ordered one of these! Thank you!!!

Talk about fast shipping. I ordered it on Tuesday and I received it today. I tried it out
and for $150 + shipping this is a pretty good deal. I am impressed with the clarity of
the optics. Big unit though.

Back
Top Bottom