Looking for input on an upper reciever

I have an old Colt AR-15 that works just fine but the barrel is 20" overall. I am looking for a 16" 5.56 upper for it I would prefer a piston gun but am really just looking for input on who has good uppers that aren't super expensive. I only have the one true AR-15 so I am fairly familiar but haven't ever really shopped around so I am not sure who is just over priced crap.

I bought a blemished Bravo Company upper for $82 shipped and it looked brand new. I couldn't find the blemish. It was a stripped upper though so you'd need to assemble from there.

I bought a blemished Bravo Company upper for $82 shipped and it looked brand new. I couldn't find the blemish. It was a stripped upper though so you'd need to assemble from there.

Sounds like he's looking for a complete upper b/c he wants to drop from 20" to 16" bbl, so just an upper receiver doesn't do him any good.

I echo Arnaki - why not just get a shorter bbl?

You can't shorten the barrel! The shorter a gun is, the more killy it is! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Also, check out Joe Bob Outfitters. They come highly recommended, with some pretty good prices for uppers (and other black goodies)

- - - Updated - - -

If you go green, you can get stripped non-blemished uppers and even lowers for that price.

Check AIM Surplus or Palmetto State Armory. You'll see PTAC stuff for sale at Palmetto which is crazy cheap but so far has some mixed reviews.

I have a 16" Del Ton upper, I shred the 10 ring from 100 yrds routinely.

I want a 20" though......trade?

There's a good amount of plain Jane 16" uppers out there. With out being expensive....stag, s&w, ww, spikes? There's also a good amount of less expensive stuff out there

Ah, I read it like he wanted to build a 16" piston upper.

There's lots of good complete uppers and a few have already been suggested for decent. $$$

You have ar15sales.com up there in NH so give Pete Southwick a call see what he has. You only hint to a gas piston upper. Do you really want gas piston or just thinking....I have not looked to far but for complete piston guns stag seems to be on the less $$$ side than most. I know nothing about piston uppers.

I am looking for a different rail and I thought about a 14.5" barrel with a longer flash suppressor on it which I think means I would need to shorten the gas tube also anyway. The gun was built in the in 77' so I am kind of just looking to retire the upper and eventually the whole gun most likely. I am probably going to get a couple of different caliber uppers I was just wondering who didn't want $3k for their uppers that seem to be the same thing as the other ones. It was more a question of who is reliable to order from and I wont have to shell out a ton of cash for in the future when I buy other uppers too.

Thats usually a tough question to answer without an idea of what "super expensive" means to you... Folks seem to really like PSA, but with popularity, can come lapses in both service and quality - both of which are getting some fairly frequent press as of late. A bit of research will yield a plethora of 'cheap' manufacturers - piling onto the AR15 market and the decision process - further murking the waters... I think you should both define your budget and more importantky, your ultimate use for your build, (range toy, home defense, etc) and go from there. Personally, my absolute baseline would be BCM or LMT. Good luck with your build....

www.bravocompanyusa.com

www.lewismachine.net

I got a complete Adams Arms piston upper w/ 14.5" bbl a couple years ago from Western Sport Online. I think the upper is Adams Tactical Elite model. Nice full length quad rail handguard. I got it for $8xx.00 shipped.
Got a BattleComp 1.5 pinned & welded locally.

Not cheap, but not $3k either.

When I got it I had been considering a Stag model 8 complete upper as well. Ar15sales guy out of NH had good prices on those at the time. $7xx.00 or so IIRC.

I got a piston 16" upper.

If you want to save cash your best bet is to find a used conversion kit. Normally run around 300$.

I lucked out when On mine and got it new for 150$.
I spent around 400$ on my upper.

Civ Tactical built my last upper. His cheapest 16" is like $450 which isn't too bad. He does AA piston builds too, but they aren't cheap. He has a bunch of options in the $500-$700 range.

If you are a coolguyyardsale.com member I think he gives a 10% discount.

It's a one man shop, customer service was excellent.

www.civtactical.com

Back
Top Bottom