Looking for any CMP experiences...

Never heard any bad stuff from CMP. Well worth the extra footwork to purchase from CMP.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Haven't bought a firearm, but I've purchased plenty of ammo over the years and never had any problems.

I have bought 3 M1 Garands and at least 6 spam cans of 06 ammo. Never any problems. As a matter of fact my Garands (from the CMP) have better rifling and are way more accurate than anything at the gun shows/shops for the same price.

I have purchased rifles from the CMP, both online and at their brick & mortar stores. Great organization and excellent customer service.

Last edited:
i don't know about now, but few years ago a bought two Garands from CMP and both were excellent shape and function -vise and also quite a bit cheaper than auctions and gun-stores (assuming you can find it locally)

Got my 1st one this spring and love it - service grade springfield - $645 - in great shape and shoots awesome.
It was shipped much faster than I anticipated - think I had it in my hands in about 30 days after I put it in the mail.

I have purchased a dozen or so rifles from the CMP - Garand, 1903. Generally if you select Service Grade or better you'll do fine.

FWIW, the CMP staff are really nice and very helpful. Good organization.

Another satisfied customer here. My Service Grade Garand was gorgeous. The rear sight had a problem, and CMP sent out an RMA and replaced the rear sight. I highly recommend them. You'll need membership in an organization which has relationship with CMP, like GOAL or GO-NH, to purchase a rifle or ammo.

same as everyone above. I got a great looking and great shooting garand for about half of what i've seen in shops and gun shows. And it was in better condition. Only thing I could see as being "terrible" is the wait, for me it was kind of like if my parents wrapping my christmas gift and putting it under the tree in August.

Great experience here too. I purchased two Garands and one M1 Carbine. Their customer service is second to none. They should be a business model for others. I was able to request a WW11 serial number for my second garand after getting a Korea era serial number with my first. I put a sticky note on my paperwork requesting a WW11 serial number and they sent me what i wanted. Good luck. They are going fast.

I've bought M1's, M1 carbine's, 1903's, 1903A3's, ,Kimber 82G's An AR-15, plenty of ammo and accessories and the only complaint I ever had was a broken stock on a Kimber that they replaced as soon as I called them.
The only bad stuff I have heard about the CMP was from dealers trying to sell their crap for more than the CMP so they bad mouth them to try and eliminate their competition.

I've bought M1's, M1 carbine's, 1903's, 1903A3's, ,Kimber 82G's An AR-15, plenty of ammo and accessories and the only complaint I ever had was a broken stock on a Kimber that they replaced as soon as I called them.
The only bad stuff I have heard about the CMP was from dealers trying to sell their crap for more than the CMP so they bad mouth them to try and eliminate your buying directly from their [STRIKE=undefined]competition[/STRIKE] supplier.

FIFY

Where do you think all those dealers get the M1s to sell to us at 50-75% more than what CMP charges for them??

The thing is, if there's any problem, they make it right. So you can't go wrong.

I got a Garand and found a crack in the stock, they replaced it with a new one.

I had an m1 carbine from them which had some FTE. They send me a new one.

Sadly they are out of M1 carbines, I should have bought two of them.

I ordered my first Garand from CMP this spring. My budget only allowed for service grade but my hopes were high after reading some of the posts on the CMP forum. When I opened the case I was a little disappointed at first glance - no two pieces of wood were the same color or species and no two serial numbers matched.

As I did some research I really began to appreciate my rifle, it has parts that span almost all of the M1's history. It is truly amazing that all of those parts from so many manufacturers can come together 60 to 80 years later and function flawlessly!

At this point I've even discarded the idea of replacing the stock - I find I appreciate it for where its been and what its done.

In the end, I would never give up this one and look forward to buying the next one - which I would have if I weren't already on my third ammo order. [smile]

Buy with confidence and enjoy!

Been thinking about this myself and I think I meet the requirements

US Citizen
Over 18
Belong to an affiliated club
have LTC no restrictions

anything else?

While others cower in fear over sending empty brass or paper wads to Mass., CMP will send a bona fide battle rifle to your door. Gotta love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom