• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a NH based gunsmith

Golddiggie

NES Member
As the title says, I'm looking for a gunsmith that's in NH (reasonable distance from Pelham) that I could take at least one of my pistols to. I think the slide/frame fit on my P14-45 is just a bit too tight. The frame is a replacement, Entreprise Arms, that was swapped out in the late 90's. When removing the slide from the frame, it takes a bit of effort to get it all the way off. Far different than the new Desert Eagle 1911C I picked up.

So, if anyone knows a high quality 1911 smith within a reasonable drive distance of Pelham, NH (I'd like to keep it to less than 1-1/2 hours each way), let me know. If not, I know a smith that's in Marshfield, MA that I could send it to. Since I don't have a MA permission slip, I'd [most likely] need to ship it into that repressive state. I'd rather be able to talk f2f about this.

Last edited:
I've heard this guy, Ricky Devoid is very good...lives about 3 miles from me. I used to work with his wife but never met Ricky. I know Ayoob really sings his praises...

http://www.tarnhelm.com/services/services.html

He lives in Boscawen, NH, about 20 minutes north of Concord.

Last edited:
Worth a phone call with the criteria you have set forth. Best of luck.

Matt

Evolution Armory

https://www.evolutionarmory.com/

Somersworth, NH

He is in this thread with other New England 'smiths, (Marshfield based[wink] and lsbbigdog aka BEC) that are also on NES.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=9152537&postcount=1687

Just sent a message to Evolution Armory about my Para P14-45 and what I want them to look at or correct. There's a decent amount that I want pricing on too. Hopefully I'll hear back fairly soon and can arrange a day/time to get the gun to them.

Just sent a message to Evolution Armory about my Para P14-45 and what I want them to look at or correct. There's a decent amount that I want pricing on too. Hopefully I'll hear back fairly soon and can arrange a day/time to get the gun to them.

I was wondering if you gave one of them a call. Did you see his work on the 1911forum?

Best of luck. Let us know. Always nice to have options closer for NH.

Matt

I was wondering if you gave one of them a call. Did you see his work on the 1911forum?

Best of luck. Let us know. Always nice to have options closer for NH.

Matt

I sent a message via the web site. I might try calling later this afternoon. Or Monday (at the latest).

Well, Evolution Armory has turned their noses up at even looking at my Para... I've replied to their first message, mentioning how the frame is NOT a Para frame and am waiting to see what they reply back with. If I don't get a positive reply before the end of the weekend. come Monday I plan to bring it up to Shooter's Outpost so that the gunsmith they work with can look at it. I don't expect the slide/frame fitment issue to take much work. There are a couple of other things I want either checked, or pricing given on doing. Due to what I've had for communication from SO, I expect that to be no issue at all. So unless Evolution Armory comes back with a complete turn-around from their first email to me, it's going to Shooter's early next week. With the holidays this weekend (we're doing Passover on Saturday then Sunday is Easter), I won't have the time to get up there.

You should just get some lapping compound and do it yourself. Probably only like 20min of work. Go on youtube and look for some 1911 build videos, where people fit the slide and frame to each other.

You should just get some lapping compound and do it yourself. Probably only like 20min of work. Go on youtube and look for some 1911 build videos, where people fit the slide and frame to each other.

That doesn't help with the frame cutting for sights nor what I suspect is a mainspring issue (but not 100% sure of).

I do have some diamond paste (used it for lapping AR trigger contact points). But, again, this is something I want a professional to at least LOOK at... EA won't even LOOK at it...

That doesn't help with the frame cutting for sights nor what I suspect is a mainspring issue (but not 100% sure of).

I do have some diamond paste (used it for lapping AR trigger contact points). But, again, this is something I want a professional to at least LOOK at... EA won't even LOOK at it...

When the shade-tree guy I had worked on double stack paras he basically told people "You do realize, that I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear here.... as long as you accept that, then I'll do the work." He did fix a ton of them and they came out at least usable when he was done.

I realize yours is a different frame, but para mixmaster anything.... *SHUDDER* I'm not surprised that a gunsmith nope'd right out of that mess.

-Mike

When the shade-tree guy I had worked on double stack paras he basically told people "You do realize, that I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear here.... as long as you accept that, then I'll do the work." He did fix a ton of them and they came out at least usable when he was done.

I realize yours is a different frame, but para mixmaster anything.... *SHUDDER* I'm not surprised that a gunsmith nope'd right out of that mess.

-Mike

That's all well and good except for a few rather things...

Frame is NOT a Para frame
I want the smith to check out the gun before work is done.
I'm not married to the slide, so if that's the source of the issue, and it's stupid to try and use it, I just need to know what my choices are and how much it will cost.

I'm also not married to the barrel or almost all of the slide. The one thing that I will demand is kept in the slide is the full length guide rod. The one I have isn't available anymore and I'm not willing to give it up.

I'm also willing to convert from the series 80 configuration to a series 70 configuration. IF it makes more sense, or the amount spent there is less than going with a new series 80 slide (and such). If the smith can, and is willing, to convert it from a ramped barrel to a ramped frame, I'm interested (need to know cost). I will want back whatever parts are changed since I might have other uses for them (not on another gun).

I don't know if the guys at EA assumed I wanted to keep all the parts in/on the gun and just get them to work on it, or not.

I was talking with Greg Derr about working on this, but his hours are just too damned short (and only two days a week) for me to get down there. Plus, I really do want to support a NH based business in this.

So, for the moment, the plan is to bring it up to Shooter's on Monday and give the person there a full run-down of what I want checked and such.

At the end of this, I really don't care if there's nothing on the gun that says "Para"...

Have you actually talked to EA?

Or are you just emailing?

I emailed them... If they wanted to discuss it, they had the option to say so in their reply. Which took several days before they sent it. Doesn't seem to matter to them that it's a different brand frame and such...

You should call them before fully blaming them.

Thanks.

I don't much see the point... I did reply to their message asking if they could at least look at it before snubbing their noses at it. No reply so far.

Honestly, I'm not going to go chasing after them due to their initial reply. I don't need to waste time trying to get them to do something they won't put a 100% effort into. If they're already looking down on what I have due to the name on the slide, then they can simply bugger off as far as I'm concerned. Also, they're basically lost any future business from me due to that attitude (and lack of willingness to at least SEE the pistol before saying 'no'). I was willing to drive it up to them so there wouldn't be any issue with shipping and such.

At least there's two gunsmith's in the area that are willing. I just wish both (not just one) were in NH.

Thorr Gunsmithing is located in Chester, NH. He's right on Route 121A, in what passes for the middle of Chester. I don't remember the guy's name or have his card handy.

If you are at Riley's in Hooksett. Thorr is one of their recommended smiths.

I know you specifically said NH but Northeast Arms in Peabody is usually really good with the quality of smithing done. Can't say they can fix your problem but certainly worth the shot.

Thorr Gunsmithing is located in Chester, NH. He's right on Route 121A, in what passes for the middle of Chester. I don't remember the guy's name or have his card handy.

If you are at Riley's in Hooksett. Thorr is one of their recommended smiths.

I don't go into Riley's anymore. After three bad experiences there, I'm not going back for more BS.

I'm holding off for a few weeks before bringing it someplace. Need to cover some medical bills (hopefully they'll be ending soon) and make sure I'm ready for whatever the smith comes back with. I'm thinking about checking into what is involved in lapping the slide rails (and mating surfaces).

- - - Updated - - -

I know you specifically said NH but Northeast Arms in Peabody is usually really good with the quality of smithing done. Can't say they can fix your problem but certainly worth the shot.

I'm bringing it to either the shop, or a designated store that is their pickup spot. Which means, NOT going into MA with it.

Back
Top Bottom