Looking for a new handgun

I'm a LEO so I use what I'm issued. It's a tools in the toolbox kind of thing. But I'm looking for another handgun of my own (I already own a Taurus SP-101).

My preferences -
A .40, single/double action, mid-sized to compact (compact is better). A decocking lever is nice, but not necessary.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

DA/SA: HK USP Compact. Sig P229.

If you don't mind striker fired guns: Glock 23, S&W M&P.

I carry the 229. I was looking for maybe a little smaller? Are the others comparably sized? I know the Glock (not a huge fan of Glocks due to hard for me to reload without a larger slide release). I'm not familiar with the HK nor the Smith models.

You can replace the Glock slide stop with an extended slide release from the factory: http://www.topglock.com/catalog/popular-requests.htm

It is a big improvement over the stock release.

The HK USP Compact might be a bit smaller than the 229, but I haven't compared them side by side. USP Compacts are, of course, had to find in MA. Zero Hour Arms usually has some, but you'll be a big premium (supply and demand). The Glock 23 is noticeably smaller. I haven't tried the M&P Compact, but I suspect it is a fair bit smaller than the 229.

You can replace the Glock slide stop with an extended slide release from the factory: http://www.topglock.com/catalog/popular-requests.htm

It is a big improvement over the stock release.

The HK USP Compact might be a bit smaller than the 229, but I haven't compared them side by side. USP Compacts are, of course, had to find in MA. Zero Hour Arms usually has some, but you'll be a big premium (supply and demand). The Glock 23 is noticeably smaller. I haven't tried the M&P Compact, but I suspect it is a fair bit smaller than the 229.

Thank you so very much. I need to do some shopping.

Any other suggestions are welcome, of course.

If you don't mind much smaller capacity, I like my Kahr K40. It is very slim. The trigger is very smooth, but with a longish throw and a long reset (so follow-up shots are slower than a Glock). I find the steel Kahrs are higher quality than the plastic. It does have a lot of felt recoil for me, however. Not a gun for a long session at the range, but easily concealed in a belt holster.

He's both a LEO and lives in a free state. The non-MA M&P trigger is supposed to be decent out of the box.

If you don't mind much smaller capacity, I like my Kahr K40. It is very slim. The trigger is very smooth, but with a longish throw and a long reset (so follow-up shots are slower than a Glock). I find the steel Kahrs are higher quality than the plastic. It does have a lot of felt recoil for me, however. Not a gun for a long session at the range, but easily concealed in a belt holster.

I would want it for carry, not range work so much. I like my guns to be as similar as possible for tactical reasons. Less to remember!

As for the Kahr, how many rounds it carry?

I carry the 229. I was looking for maybe a little smaller? Are the others comparably sized? I know the Glock (not a huge fan of Glocks due to hard for me to reload without a larger slide release). I'm not familiar with the HK nor the Smith models.

Here is the Sig 229 next to the S&W M&P compact. Both are .40

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

I would second the opinion that you should at least look at the Kahr line of small pistols. How big a capacity magazine are you looking for?

You also mention that you have a Taurus SP101, don't you mean Ruger SP101?

Best of luck to you in your search.

Mark L.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Walther P99. They come in .40. I have one in 9mm and love it. Very ergonomic and surprisingly thin for a double stack. Great triggers.

I'd also check out the Springfield XD series of pistols. Can't get them here MA, but they are really nice IMO.

Or, if you're not stuck on .40cal, how about a small frame 1911?

I would want it for carry, not range work so much. I like my guns to be as similar as possible for tactical reasons. Less to remember!

As for the Kahr, how many rounds it carry?

The K40 is 6+1.

Since you are already carrying a Sig, another alternative would be a P239 in .40. The 239 is significantly larger than the Kahr, with a mag capacity of 7+1. But it is a lot smaller than a 229. A significant advantage would be that its commonality with your 229.

If you're already using a Sig and want a personal gun for carry, I'd go with another Sig if you don't have any issues with that platform.

The K40 is 6+1.

Since you are already carrying a Sig, another alternative would be a P239 in .40. The 239 is significantly larger than the Kahr, with a mag capacity of 7+1. But it is a lot smaller than a 229. A significant advantage would be that its commonality with your 229.

I was considering the 239 myself, but couldn't pass on the rebate and the 10+1 capacity of the M&P. If you compare the tech specs of the 239 and the M&P they are very similar. However I just picked up the M&P and haven't put any rounds through it yet so I can't give an opinion as to how it shoots.

SIG 239
Overall Height: 5.10
Overall Width: 1.20
Overall Length: 6.60
Barrel Length: 3.6
Trigger Pull DAK: 7 lbs.

S&W M&P40c
Overall Height: 4.3
Overall Width: 1.2
Overall Length: 6.7
Barrel Length: 3.5
Trigger Pull: 6.5 lbs.

**Free state trigger pull**
I'm so glad I live in NH

The K40 is 6+1.

I am not a huge SIG or DA/SA trigger fan. I don't own a Sig. Only DA/SA trigger I own is a Makarov. Most all my Semi Auto's are SA's.

However, if you are planning on "off duty" carry. I would think long and hard about the 239. You've practiced - I hope - and have familiarty with the Sig you carry day to day. A smaller and lighter one would mean not having to think too much if you find yourself in a tight spot off duty. It would be draw and fire like you normally do with the 229.

The down side - to me - is that the .40 has a lot of "snap". I think you'll find that a smaller lighter pistol will have more recoil than it's bigger brother. It will not likely be a pistol you'll want to shoot a lot when you hit the range but with the 229 to use for the majority of your practice, you won't have to.

Hope that helps,

I would second the opinion that you should at least look at the Kahr line of small pistols. How big a capacity magazine are you looking for?

You also mention that you have a Taurus SP101, don't you mean Ruger SP101?

Best of luck to you in your search.

Mark L.

OMG yes you're right. I'd blame the scotch but I wasn't drinking when I wrote it.

Brain fart. [crying]

The K40 is 6+1.

I thought of the 229, but didn't know if there was anything out there the same size or smaller with a few more rounds. I'd probably have to but up with a thicker profile but maybe it would be worth it.

I just need to play with some different toys and see what works. I like to keep all my tools relatively similar for ease of transition, including carry location, etc.

I am not a huge SIG or DA/SA trigger fan. I don't own a Sig. Only DA/SA trigger I own is a Makarov. Most all my Semi Auto's are SA's.

However, if you are planning on "off duty" carry. I would think long and hard about the 239. You've practiced - I hope - and have familiarty with the Sig you carry day to day. A smaller and lighter one would mean not having to think too much if you find yourself in a tight spot off duty. It would be draw and fire like you normally do with the 229.

The down side - to me - is that the .40 has a lot of "snap". I think you'll find that a smaller lighter pistol will have more recoil than it's bigger brother. It will not likely be a pistol you'll want to shoot a lot when you hit the range but with the 229 to use for the majority of your practice, you won't have to.

Hope that helps,
Not as much snap as the Sig 357, which is my duty round. [crying]

And I've got something like 20,000 rounds through my duty gun, so we're past the honeymoon stage and getting to know one another. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom