Looking for a new handgun

Not as much snap as the Sig 357, which is my duty round. [crying]

And I've got something like 20,000 rounds through my duty gun, so we're past the honeymoon stage and getting to know one another. [smile]

I don't know who told you the .357Sig has more snap. It has much less snap than the .40, it is louder and has a bigger "shock wave" around you at the range which fools people into thinking the opposite. If you shoot them next to each other you will get a chuckle when you discover this. Sort of like the difference between the 180gr .40 and the 135gr .40. The .357 is almost like what a 124gr .40 might behave in recoil.

I have the P239 in .357/.40. With the Hogue wrap around grips (like $20) it handles as well as it's bigger brothers (I also have the P220 and have tried other models). I shoot the P239 .357 as fast and accurate as my full size 9mm P99. It conceals far better than a double stack and with the right holster you can get away with a loose t-shirt over it.

Having the same width in the stats stated as the M&P is misleading. They are both 1.2" at their widest. Hold both and you will find the P239 far slimmer overall. Besides, your duty weapon would love to have some family to keep it company. [wink]

I don't know who told you the .357Sig has more snap. It has much less snap than the .40, it is louder and has a bigger "shock wave" around you at the range which fools people into thinking the opposite. If you shoot them next to each other you will get a chuckle when you discover this. Sort of like the difference between the 180gr .40 and the 135gr .40. The .357 is almost like what a 124gr .40 might behave in recoil.
I've shot both (the .357Sig for my current job and the .40 for my old one). The .357Sig has a stronger recoil in my mind, but perhaps the 229 is lighter than the old B 96D. I didn't think of that.

I have the P239 in .357/.40. With the Hogue wrap around grips (like $20) it handles as well as it's bigger brothers (I also have the P220 and have tried other models). I shoot the P239 .357 as fast and accurate as my full size 9mm P99. It conceals far better than a double stack and with the right holster you can get away with a loose t-shirt over it.
I use the 229 under a shirt as my job is undercover. It's hard to do, but that's what they give me. [frown]

Having the same width in the stats stated as the M&P is misleading. They are both 1.2" at their widest. Hold both and you will find the P239 far slimmer overall. Besides, your duty weapon would love to have some family to keep it company. [wink]
We're going to be allowed to carry the 239 soon but I'm not sure I want to give up the extra rounds. As for off-duty, then maybe. But I also want my own pistol not attached to the G. [smile]

Last edited:
I use the 239 under a shirt as my job is undercover. It's hard to do, but that's what they give me. [frown]

I thought your service pistol was the 229? There is a difference between the two. The 239 is smaller and has 7 round mags (in .357/.40) The 229 is a bit larger and has 12 round mags (in .357/.40)

Forgive me but I'm a bit confused by your posts in this thread....

We're going to be allowed to carry the 239 soon but I'm not sure I want to give up the extra rounds. As for off-duty, then maybe. But I also want my own pistol not attached to the G. [smile]

I carry the 229. I was looking for maybe a little smaller? Are the others comparably sized? I know the Glock (not a huge fan of Glocks due to hard for me to reload without a larger slide release). I'm not familiar with the HK nor the Smith models.

I thought of the 229, but didn't know if there was anything out there the same size or smaller with a few more rounds. I'd probably have to but up with a thicker profile but maybe it would be worth it.

I just need to play with some different toys and see what works. I like to keep all my tools relatively similar for ease of transition, including carry location, etc.

So either you make a significant amount of typo's or you don't know what you are carrying, or worse. Please explain. Just about all the manufactures have websites that will give tech specks of their guns. Just do a bit of research then head to the range and try the ones your interested in. once you have it down to the one you like most, go buy it. It isn't that difficult. Asking what gun is best is like asking if boxers is better than briefs. Everyone who responds thinks what they wear is best since they are most comfortable with it.

Last edited:
I thought your service pistol was the 229? There is a difference between the two. The 239 is smaller and has 7 round mags (in .375/.40) The 229 is a bit larger and has 12 round mags (in .357/.40)

Typos, sorry. The 229 in .357Sig is my duty carry. We are being allowed to switch to the 239 in .357Sig soon, if we wish. I don't think I will due to losing rounds (7+1 I believe in the 239 vs. 12+1 in the 229).

I needed my coffee before I posted. And sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain thinks. Whoops.

I thought your service pistol was the 229? There is a difference between the two. The 239 is smaller and has 7 round mags (in .375/.40)...

So either you make a significant amount of typo's...

He who is without sin shall cast the first stone... mmhmmm...

Unless he has a 239 in .375 H&H, in which case I think EddieCoyle would be the guy to talk to.

Well, the way I see it is the P239 handles like a full size pistol with a potent round and platform that you are already familiar with, but is more concealable. Though it has less rounds many LEO's carry the 1911 with 7+1 or 8+1 and do just fine with that.

Just about any double stack compact is gonna be as fat as your P229 only with a shorter slide and grip. If it's the length and height of your current duty weapon you find difficult to conceal then I'm sure a compact Glock, M&P, or P99c will work just fine. If it's the thickness of the P229 that creates a bulge on your hip I highly suggest the P239 or something like the new Walther PPS (yes, I'm a big Walther (and Sig) fan) if they are ever available in your area, or the Kahr MK40.

Back
Top Bottom