• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking at getting a Saiga

Sparkey

NES Member
I am looking at getting a Saiga in 7.62x39. The price is right and I am just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are ?

I am looking at getting a Saiga in 7.62x39. The price is right and I am just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are ?

saigas are nice AK style rifles. they are made much better then the WASR-10 series of AKs. if you buy one i think youll have a great shooter to play around with at the range.
the accessories are really easy to come by, and hopefully the ammo will go back down to its pre obama price (which was $185 per 1,000 rounds)

you cant go wrong with a AK!

Unless you put a bullet guide in the Saiga, you will not be able to use standard AK mags. The Saiga 10 Rounders are it. You will need to do two things for standard AK mags.
Bullet Guide
File the mag release

Both a piece of cake!

Other than that it's a great weapon in all areas.

I have a converted .308 and its great. Simple, reliable, and pretty damn accurate for what it is.

I love mine... Dench actually sold it to me at North Shore in Middleton

I haven't made any mods, as another local shop sells modified pre-ban mags for them... though i'm considering a different stock for a tacticool factor.

It's probably my go-to rifle if SHTF, as its infinitely more reliable than my AR, though a fraction as accurate past 50yds.

I bought one in 7.62X39 this winter and have put maybe 60 rounds through it...standing next to my father with his brand new WASR. Mine was a bit more dependable, the WASR had issues right out of the box. I love my Saiga, it's deffinatley my SHTF gun. They're great for the price.

I have a SAIGA 12 gauge that I'm still breaking in, it's truly an awesome thing to have a shotgun that cycles that fast. Now if only I could get it to cycle low recoil birdshot.

You can modify it for preban AK mags. Get the Dinzag bullet guide and install in about 15 minutes, file the mag catch to accept standard AK mage and your good to go.

US parts count has to be correct and I beleive it's been awhile but I believe the stock is one. The Saiga forum has tons of info

I can't count evil features very well so : Could one buy a new Saiga and put a ( ma. legal ) folding stock on it ? And modify for AK 30 rnd. mags ?

Sure. If the rifle is able to accept high capacity feeding devices you may only have one of the following five evil features: Pistol Grip, Bayo Lug, Collapsable or Folding Stock, Flash Suppressor and Grenade Launcher. If you'd like to choose the folding stock as your evil feature thats just fine but I'd recommend putting a pistol grip on it. If you have the right tools its fairly easy to do but may take a couple of days. I did it to mine and it came out fairly descent. I used the guide a previous poster linked to as well as a youtube video. Its definitely a fun project and the best part is you'll get to know your gun inside and out. Another option, especially if you're not that handy is throwing on a stock that has the pistol grip built in

I have a SAIGA 12 gauge that I'm still breaking in, it's truly an awesome thing to have a shotgun that cycles that fast. Now if only I could get it to cycle low recoil birdshot.
Are you using gas setting two for low-recoil birdshot? You may need to have your gas ports opened up a little bit. I'm able to fire anything and everything on gas setting 1 and I haven't actually cleaned my Saiga-12. Ever. 1000rds strong and still going with no issues.

Are you using gas setting two for low-recoil birdshot? You may need to have your gas ports opened up a little bit. I'm able to fire anything and everything on gas setting 1 and I haven't actually cleaned my Saiga-12. Ever. 1000rds strong and still going with no issues.

I am indeed using setting 2. My suspicions lie in the gas-ports direction.

Glad someone else's runs like this. Mine is the same way. Runs low brass birdshot on 1 without a hiccup. Was concerned mine was over-gassed almost. Now if I can find a place to shoot bird/buck shot??

Glad someone else's runs like this. Mine is the same way. Runs low brass birdshot on 1 without a hiccup. Was concerned mine was over-gassed almost. Now if I can find a place to shoot bird/buck shot??

I LOVE my Saiga 12 - just wish I could get bigger mags for it in MA [grin]

Back
Top Bottom