Long Term Firearm Storage

I'm thinking about packing up a few firearms "for a rainy day". Does anyone know of a procedure for storing firearms long term? I want to seal them up and not touch them unless needed. Probably one long gun and one pistol. Is long term no-maintenance storage even possible? I'll also likely store the appropriate ammo. Of course I plan to store them in compliance with all laws; locked, unloaded etc.

Brownells sells cosmoline by the tub. Clean your guns being sure to leave a thick coating of oil in the bore, rub in a thick layer of cosmoline, insert in a vacuum bag, suck out all the air you can, seal, and go.

Ammo could also be vacuum-packed.

Of course, store in a cool, dry place.

I use Zep IronClad metal preservative then vacuum seal in a Food Saver bag. Have had several new machineguns in the safe prepared this way for several years and not a hint of rust.

Do not use it on ammo as GI ammo cans work just fine for long term storage of ammo.

What about long term storage that still allows for quick deployment?

Define "quick deployment".

Unless you pile the stuff on, Zep IronClad is pretty clean and you could just swab the bore and chamber and shoot the gun. It is not a gummy sticky mess like cosmoline, it's more like a clean waxy coating and if applied in a couple of thin coats it will be easy to remove.

Any gun that you might ever need to deploy in a hurry should never be placed in preservative anyway. If TSHTF.....you'll have a few minutes to clean a gun. If you don't, you weren't paying attention to things.

Some Kroil and one of these: http://cheaperthandirt.com/CASE31148-63704-1861.html should be all you'll ever need. If the shit doesn't hit the fan in 20 years, I'm sure there'll be something 10x better by then.
Me... I'm thinking AK47 for SHTF. I could probably leave one in the dirt behind my shed and still run 30 rounds through it 20 years from now.[thinking]

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

executive...not to hijack your thread...but i was kind of wondering the same thing...but instead of long term storage, i was thinking more along the lines of preserving guns you dont shoot that often...wanted to ask if these http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...parentType=index&indexId=cat601049&hasJS=true

are any good to store my wood stocked firearms that dont get much use anymore...if this is considered a hijack tell me and ill start a separate thread

Have you ever heard of revolutionary period muskets being boarded in behind walls? A friend was considering putting some equipment in long term storage as an insurance policy against any type of confiscation/ban. He would only take them out if TSHTF and even then would have to knock down a wall to get at them.

Have you ever heard of revolutionary period muskets being boarded in behind walls? A friend was considering putting some equipment in long term storage as an insurance policy against any type of confiscation/ban. He would only take them out if TSHTF and even then would have to knock down a wall to get at them.

only problem is back then they didnt have serial number registration (at least not to my knowledge) and ATF and all the other stuff...how would you be able to get away with hiding rifles in your walls(assuming everything you own is on the books)

::knock on wood:: ive never been nor ever hope to be in a situation where my stuff is confiscated but i'd have to assume whatever agency rings the doorbell will have a list of everything you own...no?

In MA and other commiestates, likely yes. In the real world, they're generally not supposed to, particularly if they've been bought face-to-face. Even if there are records they are likely to be wrong for perfectly good reasons. For example, I believe in MA if you execute a private out-of-state sale, shipped through through an FFL, of a gun you own the state's CHSB records are now inaccurate. As I understand it in most of the rest of the country where they do not register guns it is not difficult to legally acquire guns without a record trail.

only problem is back then they didnt have serial number registration (at least not to my knowledge) and ATF and all the other stuff...how would you be able to get away with hiding rifles in your walls(assuming everything you own is on the books)

Well, as far as 4473s go, those records often end up being inconclusive without conducting full traces, etc. The MA
registry is probably more useful to the thugs.

IMO if it ever comes down to that they're not going to be looking
at registration lists, anyways, they'll just be ripping the houses apart of
known gun owners, if they're going to do a black van job as
opposed to the AU style "guns for coupons" type of buyout
trick. I'd bet they do that first, then come in with the
vans and JBTs.

It depends on the conditions of confiscation.... I imagine two
possible vectors.... one is confiscation under emergency; eg,
katrina, etc. This would probably be done in an ad-hoc manner,
and anything not found during a cursory search would probably just
get "missed" and that would be that. If they can't find it
quickly, it's probably not going to get confiscated.

In the full blown "guns have become illegal" scenario, there's
probably going to be a more drawn out process....

-AU style "gun buyback" or an "amnesty period". If it's MA
specific most gun owners will just move out of MA before this
expires

-Then comes the confiscation interval; those who haven't shown
up to dump things off, thugs will visit other known gun owners
personally, black vans, the whole 9 yards. If one wants their
stuff to be secure against -that- kind of confiscation, you're
probably going to have to do a lot more than stuff a pistol and
a rifle in between a couple of wall studs.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom