• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

460 S&W mag. Interchange with .454 and .45 long Colt?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
I was told that if you buy a .460 S&W mag revolver, you can shoot .45 long Colt and .454 Casull as well. That gives you a more versatile handgun than a .44 mag.

Is this true? The customer service person at Smith was doubtful as those calibers were not on the barrel.

I was told that if you buy a .460 S&W mag revolver, you can shoot .45 long Colt and .454 Casull as well. That gives you a more versatile handgun than a .44 mag.

Is this true? The customer service person at Smith was doubtful as those calibers were not on the barrel.
But its in the manual I believe.

Yes you can, BUT that doesnt mean you "should". I own a 12" 460 XVR and never shoot anything less than 460 mag. My reasoning behind this is the fact that your discharging a blast from a much shorter casing and therefore your adding wear on the cylinder walls . I already occasionally experience "sticky casing " extraction when shooting full bang 200 gr loads and i dont want cyl errosion adding to the sticky case situation. Lastly when shooting 45 colt your "jumping" the bullet a lot farther into the forcing cone which again is more unnecessary potential wear. (Strictly just my opinions)

IMG_20220703_201855011.jpg

I guess by that logic you could also shoot 45 Scofield.
Yes, you can and I have. But right now .45 Scofield is more expensive and harder to find than .45 Colt and a 460 firing .45 Colt already feels like a .22 LR, so there is really no reason to.

Based on the 460 magnum being able to shoot 454 casull and .45LC, that also means you "could" shoot .410

Back
Top Bottom