Long range paper punching caliber

Image-GaugeCaliberHistory.jpg

Well, I had been thinking that an AR was going to be my next purchase, but now I'm leaning towards something less sexy and more attuned to my nature: a bolt action or even a single shot rifle.

I had wanted to get into high power rifle over the summer, but time with the family is scarce, and I don't want to disappear for whole days to compete. So now I'm thinking I want something for paper punching at long distances (300yds or more). I'm thinking I can get more accuracy for the $ if I move away from an AR, and I like the simplicity of a bolt action or single shot rifle. It is not that the complication scares me, it is just I like simple and elegant.

This weekend I shot an NEF/H&R Varmint single shot in 22-250. It was really quite a nice rifle with a nice, if a little heavy, trigger. Very satisfying to land little <2" groups at 100yds. Today I handled a Savage Model 12 in .223 with a bull barrel. The trigger is of course known as being great. The balance was awful with the bull barrel, but I think this gun is meant to shoot from the bench or prone with a bi-pod.

So I'd like some input on (1) the rifle and (2) the caliber to choose. There are so many calibers I don't know where to start. So, here is what I'm looking for:

1. Capable of being accurate at 300+yds (should I find a range to shoot that far!)
  2. Reasonable cost per round.
  3. Not hard to find.
  4. Not difficult to reload.
  5. Won't knock my shoulder out of joint (Mosin Nagant's need not apply!) after shooting for an afternoon.

Thanks,
Matt

The Savage model 12 is a great rifle, but yes, it's designed to be a varmint gun so setup for a bipod. I love this: http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminter.htm

The .223 ammo is cheap and plentiful. I'd say 300 yards is about the limit for killing something, but paper punching it's probably good to 500.

Savage has two new target specific rifles coming out this year - the 12F class traget rifle, and the 12 f/TR target rifle. Both have a redesigned accu-triggers so that you can make adjustments down to 6oz, and 30 inch heavy barrels.

You can details in the middle of this press release.

http://www.savagearms.com/2007_pressrelease.htm

Not to be flippant, but 300 yards is so short of a distance that nearly any rifle / caliber would accomplish what your asking unless you get into some type of serious competition.

Not to be flippant, but 300 yards is so short of a distance that nearly any rifle / caliber would accomplish what your asking unless you get into some type of serious competition.

Understand, I'm a long gun neophite, so to me this is good information! Nice to know it'll be hard to go wrong and I won't have to spend a ton of $$ to get there.

At what distance does it start to matter? Does anyone have a good reference on balistics and trajectory for various calibers?

I'd say that based on your earlier desire to shoot High Power some day,
why not get a match grade AR15 now, and shoot it "casually"? Work on your
form, have fun, shoot cheap ammo, go to a few appleseeds ... Then, when
and if you have time in your life to dedicate to competition you are ready to go.

If you choose to go another route and you want serious accuracy, you need to
either reload or buy a rifle in a caliber that you can find match-grade ammo for,
pretty much .223 or .308.

But...by the time you bought a nice bolt gun, put a nice scope on it, and
a good sling, you're most of the way to a DCM AR15.

F

Just get an an AR flat top set up with a 26 inch 1/7 twist heavy barrel. Just get a floated hand guard and a match trigger. I think it is about the most bang for your buck.

If you go the bolt gun way, stick with a varmint M70 or M700 or a Savage. There are some others that would work just as well, but that depends on their configuration. They will most likely have 1/9s which can't shoot the heaviest bullets, but will shoot very will out to 600yds. plus with the 75 grain bullets.

You would be hard pressed to see a real difference in accuracy between an AR and a bolt gun. Yeah, they are more accurate but If you are informally punching paper from a bench, you would not be disappointed with an AR.

B

its old school but monsin negant 91/30 shoots good groups at 300 yards its 7.62X54R you can get them with or without scopes. I love mine.

I just picked up a Remington 700 SPS varmint in 22-250, with the new x-mark trigger. Real decent rifle for the money, you migh want to check them out.

I have a Remington Model 70 VS SF in .223. I put about 50 rounds through it with a small scope and it was darn near perfect. It really calls for better and more powerful glass, which my gun fund can not handle right now. I shoot my Bushmaster Predator more so I might be persuaded to sell or trade it if the right offer came along...

For calibers, stick with .223 or .308. Good ammo - usually always available. Components for reloading - definitely always available. Both good for 600yds+ and both easy on the shoulder.

Rifles
A good flat-top AR set-up as bpm990d described will set you back $1000 plus glass.
A good bolt rifle might be a bit less than that.
Both capable of shooting very small groups at distance.
I would probably choose the AR just for the fact of better barrel twist and ability to change barrels (and anything else) yourself.

I have a Savage 110FLP with heavy barrel in .308. The cost of the rifle is reasonable and with the accutrigger it's damn accurate, sub MOA groups @ 300 yds on a good day [laugh]. 308 is an easy cartridge to reload for and has so may posiblities and IMO won,t beat you up that bad. Another option is if you could find a Springfield that,s been D&Td. It is 30.06 but in that rifle it aint that bad, put a nice scope on it and you're good to go.

My two bits
03C...

I was at a gun shop on Friday and got a look at a Savage 12FV in .308. Looks to be a pretty nice rifle and at $425, I don't think you can beat the value. Throw a 10X SuperSniper on it, and you've got a long range paper-puncher that's hard to beat (and under 750 clams, to boot!).

.204 Ruger is a great choice out to 300 yards, very little recoil and accurate as hell. I think the best round for 100-1000 yards is the .308 Win.

I think the TC Encore is very versatile, for $236 per barrel it's a great system. Realistically you need a scope for each barrel but I still think it's worth it. I have barrels in .204 Ruger and .308, with plans on getting them in .375 Ruger and .30 TC. The Encore pistol barrels and grips fit the rifle frame as well. This gives you a lot of options using 10-15 inch barrels, as long as you use the pistol grip. It's also another option because the TC Contenders aren't MA compliant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom