"Locked separate container"

CMEBoston

NES Member
I'm sure it's been asked my search skills aren't up to snuff though...

So I have a 2 pocket pistol bag, if I put the gun in one pocket and the mags/ammo in the other and lock it with 1 lock am I kosher for interstate travel?

the courts will be happy to explain it to you. NJ or NY should be fun. i would have a separate container.

Ironically going to CT.... Technically speaking it's a separate container and it's locked.....

Good luck with that

Separate

adjective

1) Separate is defined as something or someone not connected to anything or anyone else

If getting cute with the law is worth ruining your life, by all means- have at it. Pockets, dividers, whatever do not magically convert the same container with one lock into separate containers.

Maybe just a rhetorical question on your part, but some uninformed individual could be misguided by posts like this. Separate containers with their own locks is the only way to do it unless you are hoping that your cellmate can be your next 'special friend' and that you are happy to kiss your gun rights goodbye.

It's 2 containers not one vessel with a divider.... Something told me not to bother asking, such sarcasm, so cool you are.

Apologies for the sarcasm. I have since eaten my Snickers.

snickers.jpg

More clearly stated: I don't think you or anyone wants to leave it up to a LEO and later the courts to decide if two locking containers somehow connected are not one container with compartments, and whether or not the set up is legal for transportation. I'd really hate to see you or anyone else get tripped up by this.

When I travel through enemy territory I do this:

Locked case: guns

Backpack: ammo

Both in trunk.

Sounded like one to me too. I'd probably get a locking ammo can from HF for $4.99.
I've been looking for a locking ammo box but all I can find are surplus ammo cans that need modification or really crappy cheap plastic.

Anyone have any recommendations for some nice locking boxes?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm ok with cheap. if some a-hole steals my ammo I don't wanna give em a nice container too. [wink]

It's 2 containers not one vessel with a divider.... Something told me not to bother asking, such sarcasm, so cool you are.
Read your post, you said a 2 pocket pistol bag with one lock. Sounds like the guys here are giving you good advice to keep you out of trouble and the only sarcasm I see is from you.

Nope. One container, separate compartments. [smile]

Nope. Just checked. The crackers do not smell like cheese.

If they were in the same container there would be some sharing of aroma.

Totally separate containers even though they both came from Kraft. There's a distinct separation of product that the manufacturer is not only proud of but brags about.

I'm firmly in the OP's corner and I'd be happy to argue for him in court based on the Lunchable defense.

The crackers don't smell like cheese and the cheese doesn't smell like crackers.

Slam dunk. Separate containers.

Pickup a cheap tool box, they all have a hasp/hole for a padlock, pick up a padlock (just for additional "insurance") and be done with it for the ammo.

When I travel through enemy territory I do this:

Locked case: guns

Backpack: ammo

Both in trunk.

Don't have a trunk, pick up truck. Great advise though thanks!

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that Len is famous for taking a clearly legal route while I tend to advise people other than myself to take a slightly more exciting and potentially newsworthy route.

Read your post, you said a 2 pocket pistol bag with one lock. Sounds like the guys here are giving you good advice to keep you out of trouble and the only sarcasm I see is from you.

Re read my post, as I am not even beginning to get sarcastic.... How about we re phrase the question... If you were to lock 2 or more ammo cans with one cable lock, are they not separate containers? How about a 2 sided rifle case with one lock? Not separate containers? Can one lock provide enough "security" to satisfy the letter of the law?

I'm here to promote critical thought, not be a jerk. I value all the advise posted, what's your advise?

Thanks for the peeps who replied with actual opinions, the rest of you are laughable. The only reason I ask is to peak my curiosity, F I needed my gun in short order in enemy territory every second wasted opening separate locks on separate containers could mean the difference between life or death. Pardon me for asking a question pertaining to the whole reason we carry in the first place....

Nope. Just checked. The crackers do not smell like cheese.

If they were in the same container there would be some sharing of aroma.

Totally separate containers even though they both came from Kraft. There's a distinct separation of product that the manufacturer is not only proud of but brags about.

I'm firmly in the OP's corner and I'd be happy to argue for him in court based on the Lunchable defense.

The crackers don't smell like cheese and the cheese doesn't smell like crackers.

Slam dunk. Separate containers.

Your Honor, if one pulls the cover from the Lunchable to the extent that it is fully removed, it uncovers both the cheese and the crackers, which (if the operator is coordinated) remain within the single tray (container) they came in. The removal of said cover does not transform two containers into one, but rather uncovers distinct compartments within the original single container. We rest our case.

Your Honor, if one pulls the cover from the Lunchable to the extent that it is fully removed, it uncovers both the cheese and the crackers, which (if the operator is coordinated) remain within the single tray (container) they came in. The removal of said cover does not transform two containers into one, but rather uncovers distinct compartments within the original single container. We rest our case.

Last I checked you don't need to pull 2 covers off your lunchables for the crackers and the cheese. So for those of you who need pictures and memes to understand things this is the bag in question. Notice, 2 separate vessels with distinct opening apparatuses, IE zippers for each compartment. So, to simplify it for those of you that aren't following the question entirely (may be my fault, probably should have posted the picture in the first place) would one lock through both sets of zippers satisfy the law? If not, would 2 locks, one on each zipper satisfy it? In not, why?

7d1e3c5fbcff208006d36252ae780df6.jpg

Thanks for the peeps who replied with actual opinions, the rest of you are laughable. The only reason I ask is to peak my curiosity, F I needed my gun in short order in enemy territory every second wasted opening separate locks on separate containers could mean the difference between life or death. Pardon me for asking a question pertaining to the whole reason we carry in the first place....
[FONT=&quot]Although you may need your gun in short order I don't think that a scenario for that would exist. If during an allowed short stop while traveling something happened that would require you to defend yourself with a gun you are probably out of luck or dead on the ground. I say that because if you have the time/ability to retrieve your gun, load it and defend yourself then you probably have the time/ability to leave the situation entirely. Unlocking your gun, loading it and then using it probably goes beyond defending yourself. Consider arming yourself with pepper spay and/or a super bright tac light to use during the short stop[/FONT]

Last I checked you don't need to pull 2 covers off your lunchables for the crackers and the cheese. So for those of you who need pictures and memes to understand things this is the bag in question. Notice, 2 separate vessels with distinct opening apparatuses, IE zippers for each compartment. So, to simplify it for those of you that aren't following the question entirely (may be my fault, probably should have posted the picture in the first place) would one lock through both sets of zippers satisfy the law? If not, would 2 locks, one on each zipper satisfy it? In not, why?

Exactly what law are you referring to? I believe FOPA speaks to the transportation of firearms and not ammunition. You need to check the laws regarding firearms and ammunition in each state your are traveling through. Otherwise if the law you are referring to requires ammunition to be in a separate locked container then my opinion is that you need need another completely separate locked container for the ammunition.

The letter of the federal law states "separate" in black and white. It's hard to imagine the word would be added unless it was meant to mean separate in the way that most reasonable people would interpret the word, i.e. not physically connected. The whole sudivided container vs conmected containers thing, while being used as a joke here, seems like splitting hairs and might seem so to a jury.

For me, it would be easiest to just conform to the letter of the law in a manner that's unambiguous and not really open to some traffic stop LEO's interpretation.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Although you may need your gun in short order I don't think that a scenario for that would exist. If during an allowed short stop while traveling something happened that would require you to defend yourself with a gun you are probably out of luck or dead on the ground. I say that because if you have the time/ability to retrieve your gun, load it and defend yourself then you probably have the time/ability to leave the situation entirely. Unlocking your gun, loading it and then using it probably goes beyond defending yourself. Consider arming yourself with pepper spay and/or a super bright tac light to use during the short stop[/FONT]

Easy to speculate, hard to prove. With the ever growing threat of flash mobs in traffic, or declared emergency etc... retreat may not be an option..... I've ran through all the scenarios in my head, and have come to the conclusion that access to my pistol "could" mean life or death..... So now is the process of finding the best way to achieve that.. While being legal.

Back
Top Bottom