• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Locations in Eastern MA to buy resin tipped bullets?

Hi guys, I'm trying to find some resin tipped hollow point ammo for carrying. Ones I've seen that look interesting are the Pow'R Ball, Federal Premium Personal Defense (EFMJ), or something of the like. I've tried Collector's Gallery, Northshore Firearms, and FS, but they didn't even have them in the system to order. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

From doing a bit of research, the resin-tipped ones make the bullet mushroom more reliably than simple hollow-points.

I thought the main selling point rounds like pow'r ball was that they feed in guns that wouldn't feed a traditional hollow point reliably. I thought about getting some for my Sig P6 (with older style feed ramp) but I think I'm going to get the feed ramp re-profiled so it will feed Federal HST.

I think the fact that the gun shops you checked that didn't even 'have them in their systems', says something about the demand for this type of ammo.

It tends to be VERY expensive, fits a small niche, and doesn't provide any significant advantages.

Last edited:
From doing a bit of research, the resin-tipped ones make the bullet mushroom more reliably than simple hollow-points.

You need to do some more research. Hint: There's a reason almost nobody uses that ammo. I think one PD used EFMJ for awhile and then dumped it due to stopping issues.

-Mike

As others have said, you should do more research. The only reason for EFMJ (or equivalent) is if your gun won't run with JHP or you are in a jurisdiction that frowns on JHP.

I wonder if these fall into the same boat as the "DRT" brand of ammo.

Also, are these the handgun equivalent of the Federal ammunition I've seen on the shelves? The ones with the yellow "ballistic tip"?

Depending on the caliber I would look in to the Hornady Critical Defense ammo. It has great reviews. I carry a mag of them and a mag of HST for my Kahr.

I'll do a bit more research. Any strong recommendations on a good JHP for .40, .357, and .45? So far, I've been using Federal JHP as my carry round.

Federal has a lot of JHP models - you need to be more specific.

My HD handguns are loaded either with the venerable Hydra-Shok or the newer HSTs. I am not concerned about stopping power with either choice.

I am not concerned about stopping power with either choice.
Agreed. Here in the US we are overly concerned about the search for the magic bullet. We would be far better served by taking the time that we spend pondering the "best" gun, the "best" caliber, and the "best" cartridge and instead do some dry firing.

I'll do a bit more research. Any strong recommendations on a good JHP for .40, .357, and .45? So far, I've been using Federal JHP as my carry round.

Speer GDHP, Federal HST, Remington Golden Sabre, Win Ranger T series.... lots of bullet weights that work good in those brand/product types. Remington GS is probably the easiest to find in a gun shop.

There are some cheap JHPs that work reasonably well but your odds of getting a crap loading increase dramatically compared to the 4 types I just posted, so you have to do even more research to make sure what you are getting isn't crap.

-Mike

You need to do some more research. Hint: There's a reason almost nobody uses that ammo. I think one PD used EFMJ for awhile and then dumped it due to stopping issues.

All the EFMJ I've seen & used is also "low recoil," which they accomplish by loading it with an uber light bullet (they're using a 135 grain round in .40 S&W!!!).

Also, are these the handgun equivalent of the Federal ammunition I've seen on the shelves? The ones with the yellow "ballistic tip"?

No, it looks like an FMJ, but it has the letter "F" stamped on the front of the bullet; if you looked down the barrel you'd see the F on the bullet, if that makes sense. And no, I've never done that. [laugh]

The major brands of ammo try to get LE agency contracts, so they all basically do the same thing and are designed to pass similar tests. What you have should work fine, most ammo selection just comes down to preference. I don't like EFMJ because it only comes in 20 round plastic boxes so you'll pay more than you would for 50 rounds of another brand in the same caliber when you break down the price bullet to bullet, not a lot of places keep it in stock, and I'm not a big fan of the way that it looks. But I've trusted my life to it before, and I would again. A bullet's a bullet, if you're worried about bullet performance, spend more time working on your skills and carry a few exta mags.

Depending on the caliber I would look in to the Hornady Critical Defense ammo. It has great reviews. I carry a mag of them and a mag of HST for my Kahr.

Critical defense is the round you want if it must have a ballistic tip. However, there seems to be problems with primers, as always, test your carry ammo every now and then.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=20&t=82191

Personally, having a ballistic tip on handgun ammo is not the be all end all, I would recommend Federal HST for a very good round that has been around for a while.

I'm currently using the Win PDX-1 as well. If anyone wants to PM me where I can pick up some Federal HST though I'd be appreciative. The PDX-1s are a little steep.

Back
Top Bottom