Locally shopping "Bulk"

Whats your national bulk warehouse chain preference?

• BJ's

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Costco

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Sam's Club

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glostamon

NES Member
When buying bulk/stockpiling.
Are there any reasons to pick one national bulk warehouse chain over another?

-Other than distance as a factor.

We have shopped both BJ's and Costco's price wise it is a wash. I would go with whatever is closer and has what you like.[wink]

I've been a member of Costco and Sam's Club for >10 years each.

Sam's Club is too far away in a direction I almost never travel.

Costco's is close by, has a better than decent selection, awesome warranties, and I've gotten to know a fair amount of the staff (very little turn-over) on a first-name basis . . . it feels more like dealing with Family (good parts) shopping at one of them (there are two close by).

I've had numerous free "trial memberships" at BJ's over the years. Found prices for same product (e.g. batteries and other essentials) higher at BJ's. Also they seem to cater more to large families and they allow the kids to run rampant in the store (e.g. ride bicycles, toss footballs/basketballs/etc.) so that you can get killed by some errant rugrat. Bottom line, I've shopped >6 different BJ's in 2 states and never warmed up to that chain.

BJ's is closer to home and I can get quite a bit of what I want in bulk there. Plus, their meat section is terrific...most of the BBQ I do comes from BJ's.

The downside is they make you feel like a criminal every time you leave the place. The "Door Nazi" eyeballs your carriage and goes over your receipt with a fine toothed comb.

I'm a member at Sam's Club in Seabrook NH, my basement is mostly stocked from there.

The prices between there and the Danvers/Peabody? Costco are comparable, with a slight edge in Sam's favor, though Costco seems to have a better selection.

Sam's Club seems to be much better organized, and infinitely less crowded. This is most likely do to their respective locations, so my opinion here should be taken with a canister of salt.

The generic brands at Sam's seem to be much higher quality... but you can get the same deals at any Walmart Super-Center.

Either way, I prefer the experience Sam's Club overwhelmingly.

Any recommendations for Western MA? I was in our local Wohrle's today with the little lady, getting some groceries for a big-ish family BBQ we'll be having soon, and she mentioned having shopped at Costco when younger.. We're the "bulk buy" sort of family, but don't have a membership to any of these places..

I shop at Bj's. There is one near the house and one near work! Thats about the only reason.

Are there any reasons to pick one national bulk warehouse chain over another?
I tend to choose ****** over **** since they have a truck that makes deliveries in MA without a hazmat fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to me only if one is closer then the other.they got the same junk.

I love this land and the buffalo will not part with it. Santana Kiowa Chief

God helps those who help them self. Bible

I tend to choose ****** over **** since they have a truck that makes deliveries in MA without a hazmat fee.

Hey Rob, the only stuff that BJ's, Costco's and Sam's Club sells that might need a HazMat fee is the Red Hot Sauce! [laugh2] [rofl]

I think that the title of the thread threw you off on what was being asked about here. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom