• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bulk Dry Good Source ?

Greetings,

Looking for dry goods for long term storage (>10 years).

Kidney beans, oats, flour, etc..

Anyone have other options, and bulk source ?

Thanks !
-Roscoe

There's a lot of stuff you can buy at Walmart. I put up a lot of pinto beans, rice, oats, sugar, macaroni, etc... by buying bulk at Walmart and storing in 5 gallon pails, in mylar bags, with O2 absorbers.

I don't think flour will store for more than a couple of years, probably less. For long term, you want to store whole grain. I never have found a local source for wheat, and ended up buying some from beprepared.com. That is also the only place I was able to find powdered eggs.

And as lame as it sounds, I got all my mylar bags from discountmylarbags.com . Their combo deals are pretty good. I got my food grade pails from Lowes.

If so, I was not aware of that.

Update: I think I found the post you were referring to. This seems to be the latest update below. Seems like you/we can still buy all the same stuff, just not package it ourselves.

"In all but 12 of the Church’s 101 home storage centers in the U.S. and Canada, patrons will no longer self-can products, but they may purchase these same items pre-canned or prepackaged at no additional cost."

The prepackaged stuff at LDS is great and a lot less labor intensive than canning your self. Also you can buy the 50# bags of wheat and use mylar bags yourself at home.

Has anyone been since they stopped onsite canning? I am wondering if they now sell things that used to only be available in bulk(can yourself) as pre packaged.

It is dirt cheap, and they are really nice people.

After gas, hassle etc... and the low margins already on food? Market Basket... maybe Costco or Sams Club if you already have a membership for other reasons.

Market Basket often has sales on Rice, Oats and Flour at or near what it would cost to deal in bulk... with the benefit of probably being less than 3 miles away. I happen to have a Sam's Club membership for general purposes, their bulk pricing on Flour and Rice is equivalent to MB's sales price... where they excel price-wise is PURE CANE SUGAR (not that crud mixed domino brand shit). My Costco suspicions, are just that... I don't have a membership and haven't checked pricing. Bonus to a Sam's Club membership is the ability to order Auguson Farms brand prep food from their website, nothing is cheaper... ships straight from Utah. Thats where I get my wheat in 45lb pails... and the UPS guy gets to deal with lugging it up to my garage.

Beans are more expensive per pound at MB, but its negligible particularly when they mark down from 99c to 79c. Essentially, if the LDS has the beans you want you're effectively making a run for just those... and maybe wheat... don't forget ****ing wheat. Gotta have ****ing wheat.... not for flour but for sprouts. Don't ignore mung beans for sprouts either, those are those sweet delicious ****ers you get from Asian restaurants as a side.

Pasta too... 79c/lb pasta is always available at Market Basket (bottom shelf shit in a bag).

/end rant

After gas, hassle etc... and the low margins already on food? Market Basket... maybe Costco or Sams Club if you already have a membership for other reasons.

Market Basket often has sales on Rice, Oats and Flour at or near what it would cost to deal in bulk... with the benefit of probably being less than 3 miles away. I happen to have a Sam's Club membership for general purposes, their bulk pricing on Flour and Rice is equivalent to MB's sales price... where they excel price-wise is PURE CANE SUGAR (not that crud mixed domino brand shit). My Costco suspicions, are just that... I don't have a membership and haven't checked pricing. Bonus to a Sam's Club membership is the ability to order Auguson Farms brand prep food from their website, nothing is cheaper... ships straight from Utah. Thats where I get my wheat in 45lb pails... and the UPS guy gets to deal with lugging it up to my garage.

Beans are more expensive per pound at MB, but its negligible particularly when they mark down from 99c to 79c. Essentially, if the LDS has the beans you want you're effectively making a run for just those... and maybe wheat... don't forget ****ing wheat. Gotta have ****ing wheat.... not for flour but for sprouts. Don't ignore mung beans for sprouts either, those are those sweet delicious ****ers you get from Asian restaurants as a side.

Pasta too... 79c/lb pasta is always available at Market Basket (bottom shelf shit in a bag).

/end rant

You make the prepper in me Salivate...

Back
Top Bottom