• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bulk flours???

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Hey all,

My wife and I have been putting some food away as we can. One of the things we've had a problem finding is bulk whole wheat flour and unbleached flour. We were sure we could get it at Sam's club but nada. All they have is enriched bleached flour [puke]. We found some on Amazon but we couldn't tell how fresh it was. Also, because this flour has bran in it, any hints on storing it? Or maybe point us to a good book on this?

Thanks

Whole wheat will have a lower shelf life due to the fat in it.
my local health food store sold me a 25# bag of organic wheat berries for short money. I had them in the cellar in a 5 gallon bucket for a loooong time with no issues.
Years.

If you have a business ID you can get a free membership at Restaurant Depot. I'm almost certain they would have it, they supply most of the local restaurants.

If you have a business ID you can get a free membership at Restaurant Depot. I'm almost certain they would have it, they supply most of the local restaurants.
I used to have a Business ID back when I owned my own business but that's been almost 20 years ago. Maybe I should renew it.

my local health food store sold me a 25# bag of organic wheat berries for short money. I had them in the cellar in a 5 gallon bucket for a loooong time with no issues.
Years.

Great idea...I'll have to look and see how much a small flour mill costs.

I used to have a Business ID back when I owned my own business but that's been almost 20 years ago. Maybe I should renew it.
They're not that strict. If you know someone who has a business ID, maybe they could get two RD cards. They don't check ID. Restaurant Depot is awesome.

You could always ask a local bakery to sell you a bag or two. Just make sure you know the going rate.

Years.

We went a similar route and stocked Farro and Quinoa As we eat it regularly anyway.

I can’t stand any kind of frozen bread so for a shorter term fresh bread solution I picked up some of the frozen bread dough.

Bob

During the H1N1 scare in 2009, I bought some large buckets of red and white wheat. And a pretty good grain mill.
A couple of times when we were out of flour, we have milled some (whole wheat obviously). We made Indian
flatbread (chapati) with them , or used them in pancakes mixed with white flour, worked fine and this was after ten years of storage.

At the time there was a group buy from Emergency Essentials someone set up, and these big pails (maybe 40 lbs) were pretty inexpensive, I think about $45 each were the prices then, and they haven't gone up by more than about $10 in ten years.

Throw some Gluten-free sorghum in your yard this year to supplement your grain stores.
A little yields a lot, and it is a fascinating looking plant.
Doesn't take much to fill a 5-gallon bucket...

1366399.large_2.jpg

getty_rm_photo_of_bowl_of_barley.jpg

"With its slightly nutty flavor and hearty, chewy texture, cooked sorghum grain can most similarly be compared to wheat berries. "

Last edited:
Great idea unless you have Celiac disease. Sorghum is gluten free, but if you're growing any other grains it could be contaminated by the wind. That's the problem with oatmeal, it's inherently gf, but often cross contaminated by neighboring grains. Sorghum is absolutely yummy, and I should add it to my container garden this year.

Back
Top Bottom