Local Rain Barrel company doubles its business

glostamon

NES Member
What recession? Rain barrel company doubles its business

By Matthew K. Roy
Staff writer Gloucester Daily Times

PEABODY — Amid all the bad news caused by the recession, The New England Rain Barrel Company is an anomaly.

The Peabody-based operation has seen its business double in each of the last three years. The company made and sold 10,000 barrels last year.

Founders Jack and Joan Freele of Lynn have capitalized on a business model that centers on relationships with local governments in more than 100 cities and towns, primarily in Massachusetts, but also in Rhode Island, Connecticut, upstate New York and Ohio.

"Basically, (cities and towns) help us get the word out, and then we do the rest," Jack Freele said. "That really is the key to what we've accomplished thus far."

Take Peabody as an example. The city recently offered the first 100 residents rain barrels for $62.95, a steep discount off the $119.95 retail price. After those 100 barrels are gone, and a modest state grant that helped defray the cost dries up, the price ticks up to $72.95.

New England Rain Barrel handles all the orders, by phone or through its Web site, and will deliver the barrels one day next month at the Peabody Department of Public Services.

Municipalities do not have to store the barrels, process the money or, because the company is an approved state contractor, deal with the red tape involved in finding a qualified vendor.

"They were willing to take on a major portion of the work," said Pam Irwin, recycling coordinator in Danvers, the first community to partner with the company in 2003.

The Freeles noticed the prevalence of rain barrels while living in London for four years.

"People (there) have a different mind-set about conservation," Jack Freele said. "Everybody has a rain barrel."

When they returned home in 2000, Joan wanted one for her garden, but the big-box home improvement stores didn't carry them. Jack had to fashion one himself.

A rain barrel collects water that runs out of a downspout affixed to a home or garage. A quarter-inch of rain will fill a 55-gallon barrel, Freele said. The water can then be used to water a garden.

Freele uses blue plastic barrels that once held fruit juice concentrate. The color keeps out ultraviolet light and prevents mold or algae from growing inside, he said.

New England Rain Barrel has 12 employees — including the Freeles — the majority of whom are part time or seasonal. The increasing demand this year kept the company making barrels through the winter for the first time. The man responsible, Richard Doucette, has made 2,000 since January.

Rain barrels help residents of local communities that institute spring and summer water bans to continue watering their gardens. They also promote eco-friendly, "green" living, an increasingly attractive option to consumers. Both factors have helped New England Rain Barrel thrive, Freele said. The volume of business they do working with cities and towns lets them offer prices at a lowered wholesale rate.

The phones that kept ringing yesterday in the company's warehouse offered proof that betting on rain barrels was a wise decision for him and his wife.

"We have never looked back," Freele said

The facilities guy at my work keeps trying to give me these for free, instead of paying to dispose of them....

They are just the raw barrels of course, without the faucets, used for transporting ultra-purified water for pharmaceutical purposes...

anyone want a few and toss in a few bucks for my trouble? [wink]

I got a lot of PM's based on my post. I'll see how many are available, and the exact specs and try to get back to you all.

They appear to be 55gal.

EDIT: He just got rid of 120 of them last week, we ran out of storage space. However, our manufacturing department is slated to do another batch in 2 weeks, that will be 40 more barrels. He said "get rid of them"

The are in fact 55gal, blue, they look just like the ones pictured on NE Rain Barrel... they are UV protected, and DOT approved.

As I said, they store water used for pharmaceutical manufacturing. Which is essentially just really pure water, that is expensive as shit because its certified.

I'll reply to PM's now and let everyone know when they're in.

Last edited:
Further update:

It looks like I'll have access to at least 15 or so next week.

based on the PM's I've gotten so far today, they seem to be in high demand.

I can't very well have people pick them up at my company, there's no setup for that, and probably liability. The materials and facilities guys are just happy to have me take them.

I'll start taking as many as I can and put them in a personal storage unit in my town, Rowley (right off 95). They can be picked up by anyone interested there.

I figure $40 is a fair price for my costs and trouble.. but especially if you want more than one... that's by no means firm. (I'll even trade for ammo in some cases [wink])

Shoot me a PM with how many you want... I'm making a list so that I can get them to those of you who are interested.

Further update:

I can't very well have people pick them up at my company, there's no setup for that, and probably liability. The materials and facilities guys are just happy to have me take them.

I'll start taking as many as I can and put them in a personal storage unit in my town, Rowley (right off 95). They can be picked up by anyone interested there.

I figure $40 is a fair price for my costs and trouble.. but especially if you want more than one... that's by no means firm. (I'll even trade for ammo in some cases [wink])

Shoot me a PM with how many you want... I'm making a list so that I can get them to those of you who are interested.

I want a cut![laugh]

Christmas came early... i got 7 of these today. I'll bring them home tonight.

PM's inbound.

I heard it was illegal to collect rain unless you owned "water rights". Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Some states/cities have laws against such things... places like Tuscon, and Colorado has some 150 year old law. I'm not familiar with anything around here.

We have converted blue barrel rain barrels for watering the garden. Work great. We use a 'soaker hose' in the garden and when rain doesn't fall for a while, I just run the hose from the barrel to the garden and let it drain.

There is very little pressure in the rain barrel, so you need a watering method that allows slow seepage. Also, if you use a soaker hose, be sure to remove the restrictor from the connector so that it will flow. (the restrictor is for normal pipe pressure)

The thing that was tough was modifying the downspout to feed the barrel but still be able to reattach for proper drainage in the winter when you can't have the barrel in place or it will freeze and burst.

Also, be VERY sure of whats under the barrel. It's about 600 lbs when full. I built a little 2x4 platform that worked great.

pics of said barrels to those awaiting them via PM.

SteelShooter just grabbed a pair off me. I have 5 on hand, first come first serve based on who can come pick them up the soonest.

Though, I should have another 25 coming home with me throughout next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 44
Sorry I am a little confused. Are these just rain barrels or could these hold drinking water? Are they FDA approved?

They are FDA and DOT approved etc... for transport and protective storage, they are the same type barrels highly sensitive food and pharmaceutical products are stored in.

I don't know enough about storing potable water to advocate their use as such...

They transfer purified water, but the water does not come in contact with the barrel as it is bagged in IV type bags, within the barrels.

They are clean as in they haven't stored any type of waste, and were used only once for the purpose of transporting the IV bags, but are only as clean as they were when they left the factory I'm sure.

I'm sure someone proficient in the storage of potable water would be able to provide more insight towards such a use.

I used to get the blue barrels at VeryFine Juice Company in Littleton, MA for $5 each. They smelled wonderful from the juice concentrate that was in them.

Then, they stopped making them available when the Oklahoma City Bombing happened. The explosives for that event were stored in guess what..... blue plastic barrels.

They felt is was their patriotic duty to prevent future bombings by withholding the barrels.

You might want to get a disclosure statement from any takers.

Further update:

Back
Top Bottom