• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local FFL Needed

I live in Franklin, MA and I'm considering ordering a CPO Sig 229 or 226 from Ordnance Outsellers. Does anybody know a local FFL that will handle out of state transfers for a reasonable transfer fee? I'm looking for somebody not too far from Franklin.

Please let me know.

Local FFL

gunsamerica.com has a lookup list of FFLs in your area. Unfortunately, many are not active. I would rather go with a local gun store. Personally, I've done FFL through Four Seasons gun store, and though they are a bit pricey ($40), they took care of everything. If you are shipping out of state, better make sure that your sig model is MASS compliant, OR that it was made before 1998, otherwise you may run into trouble. Anybody who has done FFLs here can correct me if I'm wrong about this.
K

The closest FFL to Franklin is, of course, North East Trading on Rte. 152 at the Plainville/N. Attleboro line. Ted charges $25 for transfers, as I recall.

And no the gun does NOT have to have been IN Mass. prior to 1998; only MADE before 1998 for the regs NOT to apply. From the AG's own website:

"2. TRANSFERS OF NEW AND USED HANDGUNS -- MANUFACTURE DATE

The Attorney General will enforce the regulations as follows:

Guns manufactured on or before October 21, 1998

If a handgun-purveyor transfers a new or used handgun that was manufactured on or before October 21, 1998, the handgun must meet applicable requirements of sections 16.05(1) and 16.06 of the regulations. That means it must have an approved lock, and the dealer must provide the appropriate written and verbal warnings and disclosures upon transfer of the handgun. The other requirements of the regulations will not apply.

Guns manufactured after October 21, 1998

If a handgun-purveyor transfers a new or used handgun that was manufactured after October 21, 1998, the handgun must meet all requirements of the regulations applicable to that make and model of handgun. "

If you're not confused, you CLEARLY don't grasp the situation...... [roll]

Scrivener,

Don't forget that the AG Regs ignore MGLs (this is for the benefit of the confused readers).

So in addition to what you posted:

- If it is on the EOPS approved list, it meets the MGL requirements.

- If it is NOT on the EOPS approved list, it MUST have been IN-STATE as of 10/21/98.

"- If it is NOT on the EOPS approved list, it MUST have been IN-STATE as of 10/21/98."

The AG's own website says otherwise. The fact that refurbished Glocks are routinely sold demonstrates otherwise.

Please post an actual citation to LAW supporting your unsubstantiated assertion. We await that documentation.........

Scrivener said:
"- If it is NOT on the EOPS approved list, it MUST have been IN-STATE as of 10/21/98."

The AG's own website says otherwise. The fact that refurbished Glocks are routinely sold demonstrates otherwise.

Please post an actual citation to LAW supporting your unsubstantiated assertion. We await that documentation.........

There are two separate sets of rules that Mass dealers need to follow:

The Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998 which modified the MGLs Chapter 140: Section 123. This is where the approved roster list comes from.

The AG has his own set of regulations: 940 CMR 16.00: Handgun Sales

The laws (MGL) and the regs (CMR) both apply. To be sold by a dealer a gun must:

Be on the roster or in the state prior to 10/21/98

and

meet the AG's regulations or be manufactured prior to 10/21/98.

Four Seasons has a page explaining it all. I understand your confusion; it took me a while to wrap my head around it.

DR said:
The laws (MGL) and the regs (CMR) both apply. To be sold by a dealer a gun must:

and

Which is why guns are so freeking expensive in this state. [roll]

There is NOTHING in MGL c. 140, s. 123 that sets a deadline of 1998, or any other year.

The AG's enforcement policy is set forth on his website and speaks for itself.

The CMR expressly sets enforcement dates:

16.09: Enforcement Dates

940 CMR 16.00 shall apply as follows:

(1) 940 CMR 16.01, 16.02, and 16.08, and 940 CMR 16.06(1) and (2) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of January 15, 1998;

(2) 940 CMR 16.04 and 940 CMR 16.06(3), 16.07(2), (3) and (4) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of June 30, 1998; and

(3) 940 CMR 16.03 and 16.05, and 940 CMR 16.07(1) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of September 30, 1998.

Note that the above CMR is silent about guns actually being IN this state on the above dates.

The AFR is the significant limitation on what can - and CANNOT - be sold in this state. The AG's regulations are, by comparison, trivial impediments.

Scrivener said:
There is NOTHING in MGL c. 140, s. 123 that sets a deadline of 1998, or any other year.

The AG's enforcement policy is set forth on his website and speaks for itself.

The CMR expressly sets enforcement dates:

16.09: Enforcement Dates

940 CMR 16.00 shall apply as follows:

(1) 940 CMR 16.01, 16.02, and 16.08, and 940 CMR 16.06(1) and (2) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of January 15, 1998;

(2) 940 CMR 16.04 and 940 CMR 16.06(3), 16.07(2), (3) and (4) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of June 30, 1998; and

(3) 940 CMR 16.03 and 16.05, and 940 CMR 16.07(1) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of September 30, 1998.

Note that the above CMR is silent about guns actually being IN this state on the above dates.

The AFR is the significant limitation on what can - and CANNOT - be sold in this state. The AG's regulations are, by comparison, trivial impediments.

You're right; the deadline is in 501 CMR 7.05, the regs that actually implement MGL Ch. 140 S. 123. Forget the AG's regs for a second. It's the EOPS (enforcing MGL Ch. 140 S. 123) that apply to the "in state on 10/21/98" part.
501 CMR 7.05 Compliance
(1) Any licensee that sells, rents, leases, delivers or offers for sale, rent, lease,
transfer or delivery any firearm not an Approved Firearm shall be
considered in violation of G.L. c. 140, § 123, except for:
(a) The sale, rental, lease, transfer or delivery of an “individual firearm”
as defined in these regulations which was lawfully owned or possessed
under a license as defined in G.L. c. 140, §§ 122, 129B, 131, and 131F
prior to October 21, 1998;

Again, to be sold by a dealer a gun must:

and

"Again, to be sold by a dealer a gun must:

and

meet the AG's regulations or be manufactured prior to 10/21/98."

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

blahblah.gif
You don't have to be so pretentious all the time. If you are so smart write a book on Mass gun laws, or better yet use your intelligence to change these laws that you know so well. I apologize to everyone else in the forum if I am out of line, but I think this is a pretty casual place. Most of us are very nice and respectful towards everyone else. Scrivener why not give it a try?

Scrivener said:
"Again, to be sold by a dealer a gun must:

and

meet the AG's regulations or be manufactured prior to 10/21/98."

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Scrivener,

I suspect that you knew this all along. It was difficult to find, I wasn't ignoring you . . . I looked for it in MGLs and couldn't find it, even though I remembered seeing it in print before . . . as well as hearing Chief Glidden preach it (and recall seeing it in one of his books).

MANY THANKS TO DR for digging it up.

Scrivener, please don't post in a manner that leads folks to interpret it as being sarcastic. It's OK to challenge us to find info ourselves, but let's keep it friendly here, OK?

Thanks for your cooperation.

I finally found a reference to this CMR in PDF format:

http://www.masschiefs.org/hottopics/hotpdf's/firearms_pdfs/EOPS%20Regulations.pdf

[NOTE: The above will not hot-link the entire URL, you'll need to paste it together.]

Getting guns

This discussion is interesting theory, but strays from the practical applications to gun owners:

1. The EOPS list and AG's list constraing the activity of a licensed purveyor of handguns. It is not possible for the purchaser to violate these laws/regs, only the dealer.

2. What is relevant is what a dealer will bring in for you. If a dealer doesn't think it's allowed, none of the scholarly legal theory will put the gun into your shopping bag. If the dealer thinks a gun is allowed, and the AG subsequently disagrees, the dealer is the one who is in trouble for a criminal violation (EOPS) or civil violation (AG regs).

Which leads to a simple conclusion:

The relevant issue is "what will the dealers get for you?" is the only truly relevant question for the purchaser.

Thanks guys. I'll probably head down to Northeast Trading. $25 is certainly fair and they're just about 15 minutes away. Everybody seems to love Four Seasons, but for me, Woburn might as well be Pennsylvania. At close to 3 hours round trip, it would consume too much of my scarce weekend time.

Sig 229 and 226, as well as the Beretta 92FS are all approved MA guns, on both lists, so I don't anticipate any issues. I will need to make sure I get only 10 cap mags, rather than the higher cap mags available out of state.

Now I just need to decide what to buy and find a place to shoot.

Falstaff66 I live in Bellingham and work in Franklin,

Ted at Northeast Trading is a good guy. I have always a great experiances with him. I stop in at least once a week. As far as shooting , You might want to give American Firearms School a try. They are about 3-4 miles away from Teds place.

Ignore the prices on the website. They are under new managment and are changing things. Give them a call. I also have had great experiances with them.
http://www.americanfirearmsschool.com/

800) 338-7770 - MA. RI, CT
(508) 695-5869 - Elsewhere

There must be other gun shops closer to the OP than Attleboro. I know that there used to be a number of shops down that way. Unfortunately, the only one that I really remember was owned by a very nice gentleman who committed suicide a number of years ago.

As for clubs, there are a number in the Franklin/Medway/Millis/Medfield area. I know of Fin, Fur and Feather (in Millis?). IIRC the Westwood club is not really in Westwood, but I think is down in one of the aforementioned towns. Check the GOAL website for clubs that are affiliated with GOAL (thus not all clubs are listed), that way you should find a few that aren't far from you. Hopkinton also has an excellent club, right beside I-495. www.goal.org

EDITED for CORRECTION: It was Hopkinton, NOT Holliston. Sorry for the error.

Please see my edited version. I was thinking of HOPKINTON not Holliston. Sorry for the error. I am unaware of any clubs in Holliston (although there may be one).

Back
Top Bottom