• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live auction of firearms in Deerfield Mass this Tuesday (Nov 26, 2019)

I got a postcard in the mail that Douglas Auctioneers is having a 200+ firearms auction this coming Tuesday (11/26/19). As always there is quite an eclectic mix of guns (and there's usually a large quantity of ammo as well.) I've bought from them in the past and did pretty well, so I'm going to try and sneak out of the house to make it. (A gun auction the Tuesday before Thankgiving? Are you kidding??) The way their auction works is when you register for your bidding number you give them your LTC (or C&R). If you win, you pay them the night of the auction, and make an appointment to return the following week to pick up. Here's a link to numbered catalog here: Douglas Auctioneers Auction

How does this work? The auction is Tuesday? Can people get to see the gun in person first?

Lots of stuff in there one would not traditionally try to dispose of through an auction house. I wonder what the source of these items are (bonded warehouse? estate liquidation?).

I've been to auctions there in the past. Some people bid stupid prices for things that are not worth the price. The last one I went to was years ago with a ten percent buyers premium. There is a fifteen precent buyers premium on this one and credit card fees. Cheaper to deal with cash save 3 percent surcharge for credit cards.

In the past it was estate sales, today who knows?

I've been to auctions there in the past. Some people bid stupid prices for things that are not worth the price. The last one I went to was years ago with a ten percent buyers premium. There is a fifteen precent buyers premium on this one and credit card fees. Cheaper to deal with cash save 3 percent surcharge for credit cards.

In the past it was estate sales, today who knows?
I get 4% cash back on my card, so it would actually pay for me to use it instead of cash.
I sent them a question but maybe someone here knows, how do they deal with sales to non-MA residents? Will they ship to FFL? I assume there would be a cost.

Auctions are always a mix of good and bad deals, At one point I was a regular at Postal auctions, then bankruptcy auctions, a couple real estate auctions (those were someone else's money).

The key is to look carefully, sometimes there are gems among the sh@t. At a gun auction a few years back my son saw a case (like 50) new AR mags, everyone assumed they were recent production since they were new and the auction was from a closed shop. He ran the productions numbers and they were all pre-ban. Not only did he get a good deal for new AR mags, but he brought that case back to MA and passed on the good deal, everyone won. The point is to look closely, don't assume.

And set your limit before the bidding starts and NEVER go over that. Don't let your emotions get the better of you. Better to leave with nothing than to drastically overpay.

Just in case anyone is interested;

If you are a successful bidder we can ship to FFL in NH when payment is received. We would also need a copy of the FFL before shipping. Thank you.
Douglas Auctioneers

This is one persons collection? If so I'm definitely doing it wrong. o_O
Some of the stuff looks like a collection, but there are multiples of low end NIB that makes me think dealer.

well Riley's just closed so is it a coincidence that a bunch of this looks like low end retail stock?

well Riley's just closed so is it a coincidence that a bunch of this looks like low end retail stock?
Maybe, but I like have thought they would go with a NH auction. If anything isn't MA compliant they are limiting their retail bidders, and those will pay more because they aren't looking to make a profit.

I'm going, already have the day off, but unlikely to buy because I have to account for shipping and transfer in NH. But I did ok on non Firearms at the last gun action I went to, so what the heck.

hmm.
I want #241 The WASR 10, and 247 one of the mosins.

I'll go up to $150 on a mosin, how much is the WASR worth? or a good deal? I'm thinking $800ish retail (or is that too good a price in todays market?) I'd go $500 maybe.

If anyone goes, please let me know how much the 3 Browning Hi Powers went for. I'd like to pick one up to go with my FEG (but I expect the prices at this auction will be too high on those. There isn't too much else there to draw money)

Maybe, but I like have thought they would go with a NH auction. If anything isn't MA compliant they are limiting their retail bidders, and those will pay more because they aren't looking to make a profit.

Oh I thought it was in Deerfield NH lol, I read that too quickly. Nevermind!

Keep in mind this does not include the 18% buyer's premium or the state sales tax.
And some of this is from memory.

hmm.
I want #241 The WASR 10, and 247 one of the mosins.

I'll go up to $150 on a mosin, how much is the WASR worth? or a good deal? I'm thinking $800ish retail (or is that too good a price in todays market?) I'd go $500 maybe.
You'd be in the running on the Mosins, $120-300 depending on what it was. I got one.
The WASR went for $350, my last bid was $325, I'm thinking I should have gone one more round but I was already a few deap.

If anyone goes, please let me know how much the 3 Browning Hi Powers went for. I'd like to pick one up to go with my FEG (but I expect the prices at this auction will be too high on those. There isn't too much else there to draw money)
There were 4 Hi Powers, 3 Belgian and one Argentinian. The one I liked best went for $475, maybe I should have stayed in that one too. The Argentinian one has seen some heavy use, I'll have to see how it cleans up. But the Hi Powers were restricted to an FFL, see weird rule below.

The had some weird rules, some of the guns were restricted to FFLs only, some of these were clearly OK in MA so I don't know why the seller wanted that restriction (auctioneer didn't understand either). It definitely hurt the seller. This rule didn't affect me since I'm a NH resident and all my purchases are going to an FFL up here, so I could bid on stuff a MA LTC holder couldn't.

If you were looking for a cheap PoS, this was your auction, a bunch of .25 autos around $20-25. Same kind of money for the JS-9s.

The Weatherby Mod. 82 seem to go cheap, I'm not a shotgun guy buy I thought these were supposed to good guns.

9mm Shield $300
9mm M&P $200
Beretta 950BS .25 $270
Beretta 21A .22 $270
Auto Ordnance 1911A1 .45 NIB $500
Hi-Point 995 9mm $50-70
Mossberg Patriot .308 $310 (I think, hard to read my own chicken scratch)
Henry H001 $200
Browning GBL-22 $250

That's all I either remember of made a not of, I didn't stay to the end.

I would have spent more but I'm way over my quota for November.

Keep in mind this does not include the 18% buyer's premium or the state sales tax.
And some of this is from memory.

You'd be in the running on the Mosins, $120-300 depending on what it was. I got one.
The WASR went for $350, my last bid was $325, I'm thinking I should have gone one more round but I was already a few deap.

There were 4 Hi Powers, 3 Belgian and one Argentinian. The one I liked best went for $475, maybe I should have stayed in that one too. The Argentinian one has seen some heavy use, I'll have to see how it cleans up. But the Hi Powers were restricted to an FFL, see weird rule below.

The had some weird rules, some of the guns were restricted to FFLs only, some of these were clearly OK in MA so I don't know why the seller wanted that restriction (auctioneer didn't understand either). It definitely hurt the seller. This rule didn't affect me since I'm a NH resident and all my purchases are going to an FFL up here, so I could bid on stuff a MA LTC holder couldn't.

If you were looking for a cheap PoS, this was your auction, a bunch of .25 autos around $20-25. Same kind of money for the JS-9s.

The Weatherby Mod. 82 seem to go cheap, I'm not a shotgun guy buy I thought these were supposed to good guns.

9mm Shield $300
9mm M&P $200
Beretta 950BS .25 $270
Beretta 21A .22 $270
Auto Ordnance 1911A1 .45 NIB $500
Hi-Point 995 9mm $50-70
Henry H001 $200
Browning GBL-22 $250

That's all I either remember of made a not of, I didn't stay to the end.

I would have spent more but I'm way over my quota for November.
Damn, my ebids on the Hi-Powers and Mosins weren't far off.

Likewise, I was interested in the Hi-Powers. As it turned out, I might have been able to attend. Glad I didn't if I would not have been allowed to bid. [thinking]

Mosins, $120-300 depending on what it was. ...
The WASR went for $350, my last bid was $325...
Hi-Point 995 9mm $50-70
Henry H001 $200 ...

Some good deals right there!

Some good deals right there!
Add %15 buyers premium, plus %3 if credit/debit, and %6.25 MA tax.
But still some good deals. I'm sure some of the stuff will trickle down to NES.

Back
Top Bottom