Little League baseball

Just be prepared for the horrendous politics that both you and your poor son are going to have to endure unless your son is truly good enough to play at a professional level, but that might not even be good enough! Then you have the drunk parents to contend with too! They are always a blast to deal with. Inside those large DD cups or Yeti type containers is not coffee.
That living vicariously thru their kids thing is definitely something I'm going to have to keep in mind. My wife and I have been trying to find a sport that would interest my son. We had him do soccer last year at 4, and he didn't seem all that interested. The coaches didn't seem to understand that active kids - want activity and action though. They had them doing drills and stuff like that. The interest lasted about two sessions and then it was done.

We just got back from his first lacrosse class. He beaned one kid in the head with his stick making a goal and got into a fight with another kid over the stick incident. So he might be a natural. We'll have to see how things develop.

Just be prepared for the horrendous politics that both you and your poor son are going to have to endure unless your son is truly good enough to play at a professional level, but that might not even be good enough! Then you have the drunk parents to contend with too! They are always a blast to deal with. Inside those large DD cups or Yeti type containers is not coffee.

Yeah - we'll have to see how that goes. If it turns into too much of a shitshow , then I'm out. I have too much other stuff going on in my life to put up with a bunch of adults acting like they're still in middle school. At this point - he's 5 years old , and we're only trying to find a sport that keeps his interest enough that he'll keep wanting to do it. We've tried soccer a couple of times and they just spend too much time doing inane crap like learning how to dribble the ball. We went thru two classes and they never once lined up two teams of kids and had them try to play a game against each other.

This lacrosse class at least broke the kids into two groups and had them play a "game" against each other. That's where the stick incident came from, my son ran in to throw the ball into the net and I guess the other kid stick his head in the way and get whacked in the head with the stick. In any case, my son seemed to really like it - he got to run around, learned how to pick the ball from the ground with the stick - how to throw the ball and he got to wack some kid with a stick. At one point he said "I really like this game" - so I'll count that as a success.

That living vicariously thru their kids thing is definitely something I'm going to have to keep in mind. My wife and I have been trying to find a sport that would interest my son. We had him do soccer last year at 4, and he didn't seem all that interested. The coaches didn't seem to understand that active kids - want activity and action though. They had them doing drills and stuff like that. The interest lasted about two sessions and then it was done.

We just got back from his first lacrosse class. He beaned one kid in the head with his stick making a goal and got into a fight with another kid over the stick incident. So he might be a natural. We'll have to see how things develop.
We were at a field in Auburn a couple years ago, with my two sons doing speed workouts on their own. This guy shows up and starts setting up cones. He's moving them all around, actually measuring them out with a tape measure, then playing soccer balls all around. He must've taken well over 20 minutes putting cones out, moving them, measuring, moving them back.

I walked over to my son's and said "Guaranteed when these soccer players show up, not one of them will be older than 6 years old!" Sure enough, they start trickling in. I don't even think there was any older than 5. Within minutes, mayhem! They're throwing cones, just kicking balls everywhere. He's blowing the whistle like a clown! It was both comical and pathetic at the same time.

I hope yours takes to lacrosse. I never played, didn't even know what it was. My son started playing in 5th grade, when someone at football practice mentioned it to him. Fun sport to watch, especially when they're at a more advanced level.

We were at a field in Auburn a couple years ago, with my two sons doing speed workouts on their own. This guy shows up and starts setting up cones. He's moving them all around, actually measuring them out with a tape measure, then playing soccer balls all around. He must've taken well over 20 minutes putting cones out, moving them, measuring, moving them back.

I walked over to my son's and said "Guaranteed when these soccer players show up, not one of them will be older than 6 years old!" Sure enough, they start trickling in. I don't even think there was any older than 5. Within minutes, mayhem! They're throwing cones, just kicking balls everywhere. He's blowing the whistle like a clown! It was both comical and pathetic at the same time.

I hope yours takes to lacrosse. I never played, didn't even know what it was. My son started playing in 5th grade, when someone at football practice mentioned it to him. Fun sport to watch, especially when they're at a more advanced level.

Yeah - that's almost exactly the kind of stuff we ran into with my son. The first thing we signed him up for was an indoor class at the local sports center. He was in that one with 2 of his friends from preschool and was really happy to go every week - for a while, but it was mostly because he got to screw around with his friends. After about 4 weeks even that started to wear off and he got sick of the same "drills" every week. He even kept saying " I want to play a game". He already likes board games and stuff like that - and he's good at them - so a physical game is something he would definitely like , because he likes to win (I've taught him to be "bad" winner - he does dances and stuff like that when he wins). But they never did anything even approaching an actual game.

Then we signed him up for an outdoor "class" - and that was even worse. He was in that class with four or five of his friends - and they would take off across the field kicking a ball between then and stuff like that, and then the guy leading the class would eventually round everybody up start playing stupid music and doing stuff like asking kids what their favorite ice cream flavor was and shit like that. Then he'd have them doing drills like rolling the ball around with their feet. By the second week two of his friends had already dropped out and did not come back. We lasted three weeks and then just went home in the middle of that class and didn't go back.

I think part of the problem is that they mix boys and girls together in the same classes. I definitely noticed that the girls were more "into" both of the soccer classes than most of the boys were. The boys seemed to want to get physical and go out and actually do stuff.

I guess we'll see how lacrosse works out. My wife is already freaking about him getting injured. But she just has a "no injuries" view of life, probably because she's pretty physically fragile. I tend to think the rough sports is what my son is going to like. He's pretty much ALWAYS throwing his body around already. Last year we were at the playground behind his school in the late afternoon and one of the in-town lacrosse leagues showed up to use the field for practice. I think the kids might have been 8 or 9 - but they were playing a game. My son was like " what game is that dad" - and actually sat on my shoulders and watched them for a good 20 minutes without really moving or wanting to go do something else. I figured that must be some sort of sign - he NEVER sits still for that long.

My son needs to learn eye-hand coordination so pretty much any of the throwing sports is going to be helpful. I'm not up for the stupid political shit though. I never played lacrosse, I hung around in high school with all the kids on the team though - and had a couple of high school friends who later became high school and college lacrosse coaches.

Last edited:
Yeah - that's almost exactly the kind of stuff we ran into with my son. The first thing we signed him up for was an indoor class at the local sports center. He was in that one with 2 of his friends from preschool and was really happy to go every week - for a while, but it was mostly because he got to screw around with his friends. After about 4 weeks even that started to wear off and he got sick of the same "drills" every week. He even kept saying " I want to play a game". He already likes board games and stuff like that - and he's good at them - so a physical game is something he would definitely like , because he likes to win (I've taught him to be "bad" winner - he does dances and stuff like that when he wins). But they never did anything even approaching an actual game.

Then we signed him up for an outdoor "class" - and that was even worse. He was in that class with four or five of his friends - and they would take off across the field kicking a ball between then and stuff like that, and then the guy leading the class would eventually round everybody up start playing stupid music and doing stuff like asking kids what their favorite ice cream flavor was and shit like that. Then he'd have them doing drills like rolling the ball around with their feet. By the second week two of his friends had already dropped out and did not come back. We lasted three weeks and then just went home in the middle of that class and didn't go back.

I think part of the problem is that they mix boys and girls together in the same classes. I definitely noticed that the girls were more "into" both of the soccer classes than most of the boys were. The boys seemed to want to get physical and go out and actually do stuff.

I guess we'll see how lacrosse works out. My wife is already freaking about him getting injured. But she just has a "no injuries" view of life, probably because she's pretty physically fragile. I tend to think the rough sports is what my son is going to like. He's pretty much ALWAYS throwing his body around already. Last year we were at the playground behind his school in the late afternoon and one of the in-town lacrosse leagues showed up to use the field for practice. I think the kids might have been 8 or 9 - but they were playing a game. My son was like " what game is that dad" - and actually sat on my shoulders and watched them for a good 20 minutes without really moving or wanting to go do something else. I figured that must be some sort of sign - he NEVER sits still for that long.

My son needs to learn eye-hand coordination so pretty much any of the throwing sports is going to be helpful. I'm not up for the stupid political shit though. I never played lacrosse, I hung around in high school with all the kids on the team though - and had a couple of high school friends who later became high school and college lacrosse coaches.
Injuries happen. The refs do a pretty good job in youth lacrosse to minimize injuries. As the kids get older, they do a good job of protecting the kids newer to the sport or who aren't the best players, from those who are.

It can get old watching it, but if he decides to play club lacrosse it gets real good. More experienced officials who let them play the way lacrosse should be played at a higher level.

Traveling anything, a lot of the time, is just wealthy kids having an off-season activity. The "best" don't always play traveling. It's expensive and a hassle to get all over the state to play.
My ex's godson was on travel hockey teams near year-round in the NYC/CT tristate area and beyond. He ended up with a full boat scholarship to Groton Prep. It was absolutely a family sport. They never could have afforded it if the son's talent wasn't as good as it was.

Signups next week, my son is stoked! He’ll be on junior high and 12U.

My daughter has had enough of the BS and doesn’t want to play this year, her choice.

My ex's godson was on travel hockey teams near year-round in the NYC/CT tristate area and beyond. He ended up with a full boat scholarship to Groton Prep. It was absolutely a family sport. They never could have afforded it if the son's talent wasn't as good as it was.
Yeah, hockey is rediculous. Two of my good friends kids play high level hockey, mind you these are 4-6 graders and they’ve been doing so for years. They’re be thrilled if they only had to drive all the state of NH, they’re constantly traveling down to NYC area, PA, upstate NY, down to mass, up to canadia!! They travel so much my buddy bought a brand new fancy fully loaded camper in order to SAVE money!!

LAX is the best kid sport. It’s the only sport that keeps my kids interest!!
Coached at all levels other than college.
One thing I didn't put up with was the parents. Its your sons turn. Sit back relax and enjoy the time .
Maryland isn't pulling up and grabbing your son for tomorrow's game.

If your son didn't see time on the field during HS Varsity was because 1. He missed practice. 2. His grades suck. Blow out either way we emptied the bench.
Just because you started last game doesn't mean your starting this game.
Did you really give it all at practice? Did show up on time. Practice starts at 245 . That meant on line at 245 not scrolling into the lockeroom at 246 . Your gear you carry it!!! I hated seeing parents carry little Tommy's gear. He carries it on the field he can carry it off . Seeing kids toss and abuse there equipment also pissed me off it protected you on the field you protect it off.

The kids that wanted to work got time.

Coached at all levels other than college.
One thing I didn't put up with was the parents. Its your sons turn. Sit back relax and enjoy the time .
Maryland isn't pulling up and grabbing your son for tomorrow's game.

If your son didn't see time on the field during HS Varsity was because 1. He missed practice. 2. His grades suck. Blow out either way we emptied the bench.
Just because you started last game doesn't mean your starting this game.
Did you really give it all at practice? Did show up on time. Practice starts at 245 . That meant on line at 245 not scrolling into the lockeroom at 246 . Your gear you carry it!!! I hated seeing parents carry little Tommy's gear. He carries it on the field he can carry it off . Seeing kids toss and abuse there equipment also pissed me off it protected you on the field you protect it off.

The kids that wanted to work got time.
When my son played, one of the kids on his team would pull up with his father 5 minutes before practice started, and sit in the car. When the rest of the team would start running and warming up, he'd get out of the car and get his stuff ready, peeking over to check to see if they were done. Once they were, he'd head over and just jump into practice. His parents always complained that he didn't get much play time 😖

an old girlfriends nephew played tee ball. he'd get benched because they were suppose to pick the ball up off the ground when they wiffed but the ball tumbled off the tee with the following blast of air. he wouldn't retrieve and retee his ball. he wiffed a lot, didn't play too much.

Back
Top Bottom