Liberals Shoot Guns for the First Time

Btw, calling Mao, Stalin, Lenin, and Castro liberals is absurd. It's a gross ignorance of history.

You really are not seeing the connection or caught in the myopic terms. There are really only 4 camps (from least control to most): Republic, Democracy, Oligarchy and Autocracy (we will leave out anarchy). All of these fell into the form of government that imposes the most power over the people. "Liberals" are in the company of those that impose the most control over people. Hence why they generally distrust firearm ownership because it is a check on the power of government. It is no wonder why most revolutions fall into autocracy (see French Revolution). In terms of the desire to impose government over people, FDR, Hitler, Obama and Lenin are in the same camp.

Last edited:
I'm 60, and mostly conservative. I have been an on and off shooter since I was 7 years old. I was an NRA member as a kid, and later in my 40's. In my 40's I got tired of all the political crap coming out of the NRA and generally started thinking they were a bunch of extremist nut cases. Boy was I wrong!

The past few years have caused me to rejoin the NRA, become politically involved, etc. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but for firearm instructors to be against the NRA is just plain funny. If it wasn't for the NRA there wouldn't be any public firearm instructors.

You should man up and confess that you shoot to your close-minded friend. Hiding in shame doesn't do the pro-gun side any good.

Hardly 'hiding in shame,' dude. But I do value the friendship more than arguments about guns.

I agree with you but, technically speaking, Lenin and Stalin weren't shooters. Stalin's bio is really murky, I remember reading about his participation in some armed robbery. and that's AFAIK the only time when he might've actually held a firearm. Lenin apparently was somewhat of a hunter, at least he asked for a permission to obtain a shotgun for hunting during his exile to Siberia. Castro definitely knows how to shoot (if he's still alive, a lot of people doubt it). IDK about Mao.

Not personally, via their minions.

You really are not seeing the connection or caught in the myopic terms. There are really only 4 camps (from least control to most): Republic, Democracy, Oligarchy and Autocracy (we will leave out anarchy). All of these fell into the form of government that imposes the most power over the people. "Liberals" are in the company of those that impose the most control over people. Hence why they generally distrust firearm ownership because it is a check on the power of government. It is no wonder why most revolutions fall into autocracy (see French Revolution). In terms of the desire to impose government over people, FDR, Hitler, Obama and Lenin are in the same camp.

History ain't so simple, nor are there only "4 camps." Hitler and Lenin were killers, on a vast scale, dictators and despots and tyrants--but to lump them in the same camp as FDR and Obama is simply amazing. To so simplify politics is to restrict your own thinking to a tiny, shallow sphere.

History ain't so simple, nor are there only "4 camps." Hitler and Lenin were killers, on a vast scale, dictators and despots and tyrants--but to lump them in the same camp as FDR and Obama is simply amazing. To so simplify politics is to restrict your own thinking to a tiny, shallow sphere.
FDR and Obama just weren't as good at it as Hitler and Lenin. Same desire to control people, though.

you are oversimplifying what Hitler and Lenin were. They didnt just kill people or order people to be killed. They installed complete control over their people. And you can make a direct comparison between Hitler and FDR in the fact that both sent an entire group of people to concentration camps

you are oversimplifying what Hitler and Lenin were. They didnt just kill people or order people to be killed. They installed complete control over their people. And you can make a direct comparison between Hitler and FDR in the fact that both sent an entire group of people to concentration camps

No, you can't make that comparison. Hitler killed millions; most people who ended up in German concentration camps never left. FDR sent 1,000s of Japanese to camps, where none were killed and almost all returned home.

No, you can't make that comparison. Hitler killed millions; most people who ended up in German concentration camps never left. FDR sent 1,000s of Japanese to camps, where none were killed and almost all returned home.

Of course you can make a comparison. Both did the exact same thing. One went further, but both sent a group of people to concentration camps. There basic action is the same.

You are focusing on acts which is irrelevant to the discussion about governmental power, hence the revulsion is expected. You discuss the man ("despots and tyrants") while I look to the power imposed on the people. The "conventional" view of things is that communism and fascists are on opposite right and left sides of a spectrum. This traditional view ignores the reality that they are both autocratic or oligarchy based systems. The simple fact of the matter is that FDR is closer to Lenin ideologically than Washington (a classical "liberal" or republican). While it is hard for people to grasp this due to the acts, the power FDR imposed through the use of the state is no less revolutionary than that of what Lenin did. FDR had camps, FDR imposed forced agricultural reforms (see Wickard V. Filburn), FDR threatened the SCOTUS (The switch in time that saved nine). It is a failure to be blinded by the acts and not take into account the ideology. Regardless, I think it is more than fair to say that modern liberals believe in more government power and an armed populace is a threat (however small it may be) to such power. BTW, I would count many Republicans in the same camp as FDR.

The offensive thing about this is the implication that "liberals" don't know how to shoot guns, which is absurd. Some of the finest pistol instructors I know are "liberals." This just plays into the old & tired red vs blue, & liberal vs conservative.

Another peson who comments on a thread without actually watching the video. That seems to be a trend around here. These were anti gun liberals, not just "generic liberals". So they were a special kind of stupid, not just your everyday garden variety commie who may or may not hate guns.

-Mike

Am I the only one who didn't have some huge feeling of power or other out of body experience the first time I shot a gun?

The dweeb and dweebettes were all "ZOMG I SHOT A GUN!!!111!". My reaction was "this is cool, I want to be more accurate."

Am I the only one who didn't have some huge feeling of power or other out of body experience the first time I shot a gun?

The first gun I ever fired was a semi AK (MAK-90) and the experience was crazy, but 60% of that was because I had really shitty hearing protection. I still remember my bell getting rung with every shot. [laugh]

I think part of it is too, is all these people do is watch crappy movies and stuff and they have some misaligned expectation of what shooting a gun is actually going to be like.

-Mike

The first gun I ever fired was a semi AK (MAK-90) and the experience was crazy, but 60% of that was because I had really shitty hearing protection. I still remember my bell getting rung with every shot. [laugh]

I think part of it is too, is all these people do is watch crappy movies and stuff and they have some misaligned expectation of what shooting a gun is actually going to be like.

-Mike

I took my course from a co-worker and it included live fire training (Linskey is happy!) with a select fire MP5 (Linskey is sad :<). He basically just handed it to me and said "point it over there". The muzzle climb was interesting. I also learned that day that I didn't like .40.

You're probably right about the crappy movie influence.

My first time shooting a handgun was probably pretty close to the way that it was described by a couple of the chicks in this video. Just sort of overwhelming, a little (strangely) exhausting and exhilarating at the same time, and pretty much nothing like I expected after a lifetime of watching crappy movies. In other words I, like the women, was twice the man about it that Abe was.

The first gun I shot was a .22 pistol. Not knowing anything about guns or calibers I got ready for a great big boom and wrist-breaking recoil and... it just went pew and that was it. Quite underwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom