• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington needs Stronger Gun Laws

There are people living in Lexington today who want the Minute Man statue removed.
For sure Lexington is full of virtue-signalling progressives. But I live here and have not heard that. In fact, we just spent a fair amount on restoration of that statue. Any source to cite?

For sure Lexington is full of virtue-signalling progressives. But I live here and have not heard that. In fact, we just spent a fair amount on restoration of that statue. Any source to cite?
So it is from my memory from about 2017 when there was a prolonged "discussion" over how best to restore the statue. You would know better than I but I believe the "discussion" went on for close to 7 years. Anyway, one story I read about the long delay also quoted some residents who didn't want it there because the statue was holding a gun.

So it is from my memory from about 2017 when there was a prolonged "discussion" over how best to restore the statue. You would know better than I but I believe the "discussion" went on for close to 7 years. Anyway, one story I read about the long delay also quoted some residents who didn't want it there because the statue was holding a gun.
Yes, there was prolonged discussion. The point of contention patina or no patina. First world problem, I know. 🙄

Nah. It’s not local. Military history is a passion of mine, and anyone studying the Napoleonic Wars needs to learn about how cannon were disabled. Knocking off trunnions was usually the work of sailors or marines raiding batteries, while spiking guns was the kind of thing cavalrymen did when they only had a few minutes between the artillerymen running for cover and the enemy cavalry counterattacking.

Regardless, both were common techniques back then. I was a kid when I read the Hornblower stories; it’s all in there. CS Forester’s description about how to recover from a spiked gun was lucid enough for me to grasp even when I was thirteen.
I read Tecumseh years ago. Loys of excellent detail on all manner of war and life in general. The bonfire parties where they burndled their enemies alive and ate their flesh while the next victim awaited the same fate and watched the show.
Lots if cannon were spiked and dumped into the Ohio River. A few hours later they were recivered and the spikes pulled.

Back
Top Bottom