Lever action .22, opinions?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm interested in a lever action .22 rifle. I have a Ruger 10/22 now, and for a while thought I would like a bolt action .22, but now for some reason I really want a lever action.

Anyone have any personal experience with a model that they like? I'm interested in something that is on the lighter side; I have picked up some really heavy lever action .22's and that was kind of a turn-off (why should I have a .22 which weighs as much as my AR15?)

You should look at a Marlin 39. I have a 1954 Model 39a Mountie and it is one fine rifle. I think they are still making a new model of it.

If you search for other gun forums, you'll find that it is one of the most highly respected lever guns out there.

look around, you may find a good used one. Mine is in execellent shape and I got it for around $225 as I remember.

I also bought my granddaughter a new Henry H001 lever .22. It's a very nice gun but missing some of the quality and class of the older rifles.

Here's an eval of the Marlin vs Winchester:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/marlin_vs_winchester.htm

I have a 10/22 which I love, but I too am looking for a lever action. Ruger now has a 96/22 lever action based on the 10/22. At least it looks like it is. I've only seen one place that has it in stock, so prices might be high right now. If I get some spare money between Milsurp purchases, I'm going to give it a definite look.

Gary

Garys said:
I have a 10/22 which I love, but I too am looking for a lever action. Ruger now has a 96/22 lever action based on the 10/22. At least it looks like it is. I've only seen one place that has it in stock, so prices might be high right now. If I get some spare money between Milsurp purchases, I'm going to give it a definite look.

Gary

I saw that Ruger in a catalog online, but somehow it didn't have that "old west" look to it, which is something I am also interested in. Do you know if the Ruger lever action takes the same rotary magazines as the 10/22?

Check out the Golden Boy

goldenboy.jpg

If this American masterpiece of Henry gunsmithing doesn't inspire you to saddle up and ride off into the sunset, nothing will. They say that the original Henry rifle was the gun that won the West. We say the Golden Boy is the gun that'll win your heart. It features a genuine American walnut stock, a gleaming Brasslite receiver, a brass buttplate, sporting sights and an awesome 20-inch long octagon barrel. It'll hold 16 rounds of .22 long rifle ammo. The overall length is 40" and it weights 6 3/4 pounds.
$339

About 3/4 down the page on the left.
http://fsguns.com/fsg_new_lg.html

I got a big boy (.44mag golden boy) for my father and it's awesome. I've seen the golden boys in stores and they are of the same quality... just smaller. After that, a friend of mine bought an engraved golden boy for his nephew and they rave about it too. So through here's another vote (or three or four) for the Henry.

I also have a Marlin Golden 39a. I love it. It's one hell of a shooter, and it's got a great feel.

I don't know where you are, but if you ever want to shoot it, and I have the time...I'm more than happy to let you give it a run.

I have the Marlin 1894 in .22 Mag which I really like.

I also know a couple of people who own the Henry in .22 LR. They've had great luck with them. It's a light rifle and a good shooter. If you go that route though, don't use gunscrubber on it! It's not a blued finish. (ETA: I'm not referring to the GoldenBoy, but the low end Henry .22 lever gun)

CD

Last edited:
hminsky said:
I saw that Ruger in a catalog online, but somehow it didn't have that "old west" look to it, which is something I am also interested in. Do you know if the Ruger lever action takes the same rotary magazines as the 10/22?

Yes, as far as I can tell. The 10/22, 77/22, and 96/22 use the same magazines.

You are right that it doesn't have an old west look to it, and that might effect sales. However, it is a Ruger, so you know it's well made.

However, I do like the look of the old style Henry's.

So many guns, so little money!

Gary

I've got the Browning BL22. It is a really nice, light rifle. The lever throw is very short, so you don't even have to remove your hand from the stock; jus "flick it". Obviously the accuracy is not on par with an Anschutz, but it will clean out the squirrels.

I like the look of the BL-22, andthe specs say it is pretty light compared to some of the others.

I saw someone complain about it's rear sights, but otherwise, I think that's what I want to get. Can a scope be mounted easily on it? Do you know any significant difference between the models they have available?

hminsky said:
I saw someone complain about it's rear sights, but otherwise, I think that's what I want to get. Can a scope be mounted easily on it? Do you know any significant difference between the models they have available?

I added a cheap Williams peep sight to mine. Much better to use that the regular open sight. The top of the receiver is grooved so you can mount a scope using regular .22 rings. I think the only difference in models is the grade of finish. They go from plain to highly engraved. It is very light.

I like the looks of the Browning, the Winchester 9422, and the Marlin 39's. I haven't heard a bad thing about any of them.

Last edited:
I like the Henry also. It is very smooth, slick, and feels like a real "old fashioned" piece of machined equipment. However, it may not fit your criteria by being a bit heavy.

My dislike of the Henry is in its sights. I wish it had the tru-glo type of sights available at least as an option.

I have been mulling over .22's for a while, and go back and forth between the Henry, CZ, Thompson Center Classic, and Ruger 10/22 or other Rugers. I didn't like the fit and finish (quality) of the Marlins, but might also consider the Savage since they are made here in Mass. (Westfield). I really like the Thompson and CZ, but would rather not buy a foreign gun and even prefer to keep it in state. This is to be primarily for a plinker and targets, but no competition type stuff.

Back
Top Bottom