• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letter to my Chief of police

What were the charges?

A/DW Firearm, AB/DW Shod foot, A/B, Malicious Destruction Over 250.00 (I threw one of them thru the store window), Possession of a Dangerous Weapon (had a bayonet attached to the side of the ruck in my trunk and was charged for that-I had recently joined the reserves after active duty, one of the cops said he was going to charge me with theft of gov property because he didn’t believe I was still serving, though I quickly told him to F himself and get on with it), Disorderly Conduct and I think that was it. It has been a long time.

OP, not trying to hijack your thread man, just providing a stellar example of how badly things can go wrong even for a legally licensed person here. I do wish the best on this issue and plenty of good attorneys out there that can hopefully help.

OP, not trying to hijack your thread man, just providing a stellar example of how badly things can go wrong even for a legally licensed person here. I do wish the best on this issue and plenty of good attorneys out there that can hopefully help.
Thanks man and not an issue I read your posts and very informative of what im getting my self into the good and law abiding citizen tend to get the shit end of the stick. I contacted a lawyer today and replyed quickly hes gonna get back to me next week. I'LL keep you guys update prob on this thread or ill just make a separate one with the whole story. Ill try to have someone reread it befor i post it for you guys.

You will do better with an attorney if you express a willingness to pay for an office consult up front. I know that gun attorneys tend to get calls like "I need free advice now and will hire you if my application is rejected or LTC restricted". Those trigger leech alerts to the legal community.

There is a decent chance a cop in a town where the culture is "all permits issues unrestricted" may look at someone carrying on a restricted Springfield or Brookline permit and react with "looks like a valid LTC to me, have a nice day".

BUT... consider someone with a restricted permit stopped in a town where only important or connected people get unrestricted. The chances of someone getting a "pass" on a restriction are small.

And, if a department was inclined to issue a restricted LTC, it would probably not be inclined to respond with "restrictions don't matter" when it gets a report of carry outside the restriction.

Atty Tassel speaks the truth. You are playing with fire if you decide to take your chances on any encounter you have being with a sympathetic cop from a department that will not hang him/her out to dry if (s)he gives you a pass on a restricted LTC.

Even with Atty Tassel's good reputation for competence, I doubt he got the LTC reinstated for his clients violating the restriction.

It's not just what Rob stated. Having worked for a PD for a number of years and knowing a lot of officers and chiefs, I can absolutely say that every PD has AT LEAST one a-hole officer who would jack up his own mother for littering. If you are unfortunate enough to run into that officer, they will make your life a living hell no matter if what you did was 100% legal.

I can only imagine if one of your bullets went through your head and killed you what the police report would have read like. Mother of God.

It would be reported as "the gun just went off" and "accidental". Plenty of real incidents where this happened and that is how they get resolved, swept under the rug.

Every PD has bullet-holes in the walls. Back in the dark ages we used to have to type shift reports and the one table with typewriter was in the locker room. I'm typing my report and an officer comes in and puts his loaded personal firearm on the table pointed at my gut while getting ready to put on his duty belt. A week or so later I notice a bullet hole in the wall behind that typewriter! I saw careless gun handling during our police qualifications with senior officers handling guns as instructors were downrange scoring targets.

No wonder you were so f*cked up when we worked together...and how the hell did you get a leo job anyways? (lol)

I can absolutely say that every PD has AT LEAST one a-hole officer who would jack up his own mother for littering.
Like the Framingham PD officer who handled parking ticket appeals about 5 years ago (yes, due process is the PD deciding if it's parking tickets were issued correctly). A handicapped person was fined $200 for parking in a handicapped space. Verdict on appeal? No dismissal - placard was not visible, the offense was parking without a valid placard displayed. The person was handicapped, had a valid permit, and proved it - but forgot to hang it. No mercy shown.

Funny thing - a few months later I saw this officer parking in a handicapped spot when off duty. It was an errand at a post office, so I knew there was not enough time to call and file a police complaint.

Like the Framingham PD officer who handled parking ticket appeals about 5 years ago (yes, due process is the PD deciding if it's parking tickets were issued correctly). A handicapped person was fined $200 for parking in a handicapped space. Verdict on appeal? No dismissal - placard was not visible, the offense was parking without a valid placard displayed. The person was handicapped, had a valid permit, and proved it - but forgot to hang it. No mercy shown.

Funny thing - a few months later I saw this officer parking in a handicapped spot when off duty. It was an errand at a post office, so I knew there was not enough time to call and file a police complaint.
Pictures can do wonders however when sent to the right people! [devil]

No wonder you were so f*cked up when we worked together...and how the hell did you get a leo job anyways? (lol)

Shiiiiiiiit, you know you loved me (once you guys figured out I wasn’t really crazy).

I suppose there should be an ending to this particular story, and also includes the old saying of “keep your mouth shut and get an attorney ASAP”, so here’s how it all ended;

I started the academy 10 days later, had already been thru all of the hoops and background checks and was actually on my way home from the Majors Board the night this happened. I told nobody, simple as that.

I sure wasn’t about to grovel to the idiots that shot at me and let them decide my fate with one phone call. Best to just keep my mouth shut and handle it as it comes.

Showed up for the academy class with broken toes, a bandaged arm and a lot of anger, unsure if I even wanted to be there anymore after that. Never spoke of it and expected to be kicked out every day I went in.

The toes healed a little bit each weekend and then broke again every Monday as soon as we started running. Black, blue and purple for 23 weeks wrapped in as much tape as I could fit in my running shoes.

Just got it into my head from day 01 that I wanted to be “a good cop” and I used that sh*tshow as an example daily of what not to do or be.

Fast forward to my upcoming retirement in April, 23 years later and it can’t come fast enough. I hope I did it well. Don’t know if I really accomplished much in my time there or if any of it was even worth it. If I could go back in time, I don’t think I would’ve continued down this road, but stubbornness and anger with them drove me at that point in time. Should of been a fireman or something.

** Annnnnd because life loves to throw sh*t in our face sometimes just to f*** with us, about 12 yrs into my time I was now teaching classes at the academy myself, and realize that one of the students is the son of the LT who arrested and shot at me. No shit. I literally looked up at the sky and said “why do you f***ing hate me so much?”

So I had a choice to make. I could easily hate this kid and make him wash out, maybe send him packing with a note to his father for me as the final irony.

Or I could swallow my pride and give him some extra attention (in a positive way) to try to keep him from becoming a jackass too.

I prayed for strength and trained him the best I could and even worked with him for a couple years afterwards and never said a word about it. Figured he didn’t deserve to pay for something that happened when he was still a kid. Hopefully he’s out there still being a good cop, not sure where he ended up and the irony is heavy, him having now both his fathers handprint and mine on how he acts and reacts on the street, but at least I know I tried to do the right thing by him and others.

So, that’s how that all turned out. The end.

** Annnnnd because life loves to throw sh*t in our face sometimes just to f*** with us, about 12 yrs into my time I was now teaching classes at the academy myself, and realize that one of the students is the son of the LT who arrested and shot at me. No shit. I literally looked up at the sky and said “why do you f***ing hate me so much?”

So I had a choice to make. I could easily hate this kid and make him wash out, maybe send him packing with a note to his father for me as the final irony.

Or I could swallow my pride and give him some extra attention (in a positive way) to try to keep him from becoming a jackass too.

I prayed for strength and trained him the best I could and even worked with him for a couple years afterwards and never said a word about it. Figured he didn’t deserve to pay for something that happened when he was still a kid. Hopefully he’s out there still being a good cop, not sure where he ended up and the irony is heavy, him having now both his fathers handprint and mine on how he acts and reacts on the street, but at least I know I tried to do the right thing by him and others.

So, that’s how that all turned out. The end.

You did good!

I'll tell you the whole story (not fit to print) when I see you in person (and if I remember/you ask) but during my time as a resident in my town we had a Sgt/Lt/eventually Chief who was a real jerk. I had shut down the main drag at a side street for a parade that was starting when a teenager came up to me on his motorcycle, very politely introduced himself and explained that he lived across the road, asking if he could get thru the blockade. Due to his positive attitude and not pulling "do you know who I am" BS, I allowed him to do so. He was the aforementioned jerk's Son and today is a Sgt and very well respected. Over the years (and I think before he joined the PD) he mentioned to one of our detectives that he didn't like some of his Father's shenanigans.

So indeed we should give each person a chance and not treat them as if they are dirtbags like their relatives.

OP, I would not send that letter if I were you. Besides the many technical errors, it seems too personal to the point of being a bit off-putting. I would recommend a much shorter, more impersonal and businesslike approach. You should include the reader's position in your address as well (Dear Chief Smith, whatever)

When I sent my letter to the Weymouth PD to get my unrestricted license I used a block letter format. It looks nice and organized and is easy for the reader to follow. Here is a good resource on how to do it: The Basic Business Letter // Purdue Writing Lab

You can drop elements of the format that aren't needed.

My letter went something like this:

Your return address (your name not included, just the address)

Date of writing

The recipient's address

Dear. Chief Smith,

I am writing this letter in support of my application for <REQUESTED PERMIT HERE>. (Briefly include some reasons why you want your permit. These will be largely personal, but still try to remain a bit more professional. There is no reason to talk about how much you love your family, for example. Nor would I ask rhetorical questions or speak in a conversational tone. You can simply state that you wish to defend yourself and your family, feel it is your duty to be able to protect yourself, are concerned about local crime rates, etc. List any experience or qualifications you might have that show you are responsible with firearms. You at least have your law required CWP course. You can mention that you sometimes carry large amounts of cash, or travel alone at night, or whatever. Unless you are state's evidence, run a jewelry shop, or have some protection orders on file, you likely don't have anything "special" for them to consider. Keep your body paragraph short and to the point. There is no reason for you to have more than 1 or 2 short paragraphs here. Keep them focused. The two elements you want to hit consistently are: 1)reasons you want your permit and 2)that you are of good character, are trustworthy, and are competent in the safe handling of firearms. These could be 2 separate short paragraphs or one still fairly brief paragraph, depending on how much specific "evidence" you want to provide for both.)

Sincerely,

Your name, typed

Enclosed: Permit application, training certificate, whatever else you mail in here

Unless you have some special circumstances, I would not expect your letter to have much influence on what permit you receive unless it is so badly written that is causes them to think you are a weirdo. It is your mission to not disqualify yourself by coming across as semi-literate or mentally deranged. Making bold claims about the true meaning of 2A or God's law probably doesn't help with the mental derangement aspect. There is no good reason for a letter that you have time to plan in advance to contain any technical errors and such errors can only prejudice the reader against you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Just a quick update, I am not going to send a letter. I am going to wait a bit and get some training and skills under my belt before i go an ask for no restrictions. My main reason for wanting to get the restrictions removed right away was due to i was under the impression that if i dont appeal with in the 30 days i will be stuck with the hunting and target for 5 years or so. I want to thank everyone who put their two cents in as well as thanks to those who have Pm'd me on lawyers and how to go about writing the letter.

Back
Top Bottom