• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letter to my Chief of police

If the purpose of the letter is to get the restrictions removed, don't send it. It's a very nice letter postulating your thoughts about your family and gun rights but it'll hurt more than help getting the restrictions removed. A couple of thoughts:

1. Address recipients by their proper title
  2. Never invoke God or faith in a business letter unless it's specifically targeted at evangelicals and even then it's probably best to avoid.
  3. Do not mention parents or grandparents as it makes you come across in one of two ways
    • A mall ninja vigilante protector of the universe
    • A bearded individual who lives in either parents or grandparents basement (notwithstanding your mention of being head of household protector which makes you sound a like a cult member from Utah).
  4. Whenever you write a letter, go through and see where you can delete the "I' "me" "mine" self-references, it makes for a more effective communication style.
Sending that letter will cause you more harm than good.

In the following picture below is my letter to my chief of police on removing my restrictions (hunting & targeting). My buddy says its a bit to much and to keep it simiple. Let me know any help will be appreciated. Btw, trying to get ltc in springfield, MA View attachment 241366
Sound like you are too worried about something happening while you are at home. Here is your LTC with restriction to range and home use only.

Signed - d*ck CLEO.

That's where I stopped reading.

Then I got bored and went back and stopped again when I saw it was a rough, rough draft and hadn't even been proofread yet. If I were in the position to make a decision on an LTC based on that treatise - I would deny it, suspend the driver's license, vehicle insurance, homeowners insurance, grocery store loyalty card, American Express, AAA membership, PTA board positions, and everything except the library card of the author.
I stopped at the first "," thats in the wrong place.

Then went back and tried to finish it. I couldnt, I stopped the second time when I saw he mentions his house and threats inside his house at night.

OP....No one will restrict you to not be able to use it at home, they will restrict you on stuff outside your house. Thats why I posted what I did above.

I agree with most above, Trim it down, address "unrestricted", List any courses that you have taken to make you a responsible LTC holder under your signature. Good luck.

I wrote a letter addressed to the licensing officer in Springfield requesting removal of restrictions for "xyz" reasons. Got a call from the clerk's office a week later saying they will not alter restrictions on an issued license.

Basically, if you're young (21 right?) and it's your first LTC, they will restrict you. Supposedly they remove them if you "behave". YMMV.

Needs proofreading. No Lord High Chief is going to want to be on the hook for bestowing the privilege of carrying a firearm upon a serf who comes across as semiliterate.

Maybe you should just go talk to the cops instead of sending the chief that rambling diatribe. My original LTC was issued with restrictions. A couple years in I got to thinking that I would actually like to carry. Walked in and asked the lady at the front desk how I could go about getting them removed. She says "we just have to reprint your license.". She took down my name and LTC number. A couple weeks later I get a call to come pick up the new card. No restrictions. YMMV.

it's really hard to get a read on how these guys are going to react to a "no restriction" request. you just gotta drop back and punt...see what happens. I sometimes think what peacemaker suggested is the best course of action. go in and try to get a face to face.

your letter comes off a bit......off. I was uncomfortable reading it. They want to know you are a stand up citizen and I do not get that form your letter.

Yours comes off sounding like you can't wait for an altercation.

The letter below isn't a prefect example but this is a letter that got an unrestricted LTC for a 24 year old female first time applicant.

Take from the letter below whatever you feel will help. Just not the uncle part.... As an FYI....I am the "uncle" referenced below. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Also, I would have addressed it to the chief a little more formally with the address ands such, but it worked.

April 2, 20XX

Dear Chief XXXXX. XXXXXX,

I am respectfully writing this letter in support of my application for a Class A Large Capacity License to Carry Firearms. My reasoning for this request includes the use for recreational target shooting, competition and personal protection. I have recently completed the firearm safety course and have been learning proper firearm safety and handling under the supervision of my uncle who served in the National Guard and has over 30 years of experience.

I grew up in XXXXXXXX and all through high school I spent many hours volunteering with the YMCA Summer Camp programs in XXXXXXXXXX as well as coaching and refereeing for the youth town basketball programs. After graduating from XXXXXXXX University I moved back home and now work at a local bank in town and coach a women’s college rugby team. My family tends to travel most weekends to our Cape house and I find myself home alone and often think of my protection. For this reason I am requesting that my license be unrestricted.

Thank you for your consideration with my request.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX. XXXXXX

your letter comes off a bit......off. I was uncomfortable reading it. They want to know you are a stand up citizen and I do not get that form your letter.
This is a pretty good letter. Re-reading the OP's, the ending part definitely needs to go. Saying you have a clean criminal history (which they will more or less know as part of the original issuance, minor non-disqualifying stuff aside) and thus there is "no basis" to restrict you is a poor avenue to argue. They are looking for affirmative reasons that make you special or unique in order to merit the carrying ability. While I and many others find this backwards and that the burden of proof should be in the other direction, the fact of the matter is that in MA the cards are stacked against you with regard to the chief's discretion.

As others have said, you need to make sure it focuses on outside of the home as a restricted LTC is just fine for being at home. Do you drive your parents places, like the bank or appointments? Do you handle their finances at a banking institution, etc.? There are ways you can synergize taking care of your family with needing to carry, you just need to find them.

Remember, these officials are risk averse. They want the white collar Joe Everyman that they don't need to worry about being put on the nightly news for waving his gun around. So, be that person, even if you aren't. You can be the camo-wearing, tactical vest bearing "molon labe" guy all you want in private, but, as sad as it is, for this kind of thing you need to play their games or resign yourself to restriction. Focus on your safety qualifications, ties to the community, and "normalcy" while providing a good reason.

"I am committed to safety, and in addition to the firearm safety course required as part of the licensing process, I have taken (or planned/scheduled) these courses, as well as seeking out additional training from a qualified instructor..."

This is a pretty good letter. Re-reading the OP's, the ending part definitely needs to go. Saying you have a clean criminal history (which they will more or less know as part of the original issuance, minor non-disqualifying stuff aside) and thus there is "no basis" to restrict you is a poor avenue to argue. They are looking for affirmative reasons that make you special or unique in order to merit the carrying ability. While I and many others find this backwards and that the burden of proof should be in the other direction, the fact of the matter is that in MA the cards are stacked against you with regard to the chief's discretion.

As others have said, you need to make sure it focuses on outside of the home as a restricted LTC is just fine for being at home. Do you drive your parents places, like the bank or appointments? Do you handle their finances at a banking institution, etc.? There are ways you can synergize taking care of your family with needing to carry, you just need to find them.

Remember, these officials are risk averse. They want the white collar Joe Everyman that they don't need to worry about being put on the nightly news for waving his gun around. So, be that person, even if you aren't. You can be the camo-wearing, tactical vest bearing "molon labe" guy all you want in private, but, as sad as it is, for this kind of thing you need to play their games or resign yourself to restriction. Focus on your safety qualifications, ties to the community, and "normalcy" while providing a good reason.

"I am committed to safety, and in addition to the firearm safety course required as part of the licensing process, I have taken (or planned/scheduled) these courses, as well as seeking out additional training from a qualified instructor..."

right...they just want to make sure you are low risk. But they are not looking for a novel either so the OP should keep it concise.

Sir,

I wish to f*** bitches and / or get money. The only skeet and trappin i went to do is with yo daughter.

Respectfully,
George Washington

My advice would be to stop right now, step away from your computer and call a good 2A experienced attorney to handle this for you.

It’ll cost money and effort, your chances will still be only 50/50, but that’s a far sight better than what sending that letter will get.

Dear Chief,

I write today as a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen of _______.

In support of my application for an unrestricted LTC, I request it for "all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, transfer, own and collect all large capacity pistols, rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting and personal protection."

Thank you,
-YourName

Thanks for letting us know before I pointed out some issues.

Have you already applied for unrestricted and been turned down or is this your letter to request unrestricted status?
I applied for unrestricted, received my licence last friday, the 20th and got hunting and target. Now i have 30 days to appeal or im stuck with it for 6 years

I applied for unrestricted, received my licence last friday, the 20th and got hunting and target. Now i have 30 days to appeal or im stuck with it for 6 years

You just posted last week looking for an attorney, what’s changed since then?

You're 21 so you may be stuck with it regardless.

Your friend gave you good advice. You have also been given great advice in the comments above on format and contents.

Unfortunately, you couldn't write a ransom note with a gun to your head - sorry, but a man has to accept his limitations - so find someone to write the letter for you, starting with a blank sheet of paper.

OK that's helpful to know. It seems like MA chiefs will want some reason other than rights etc to grant an unrestricted. Do you work late nights in bad areas of town? Pizza delivery driver? Anything like that that he may see as a more valid reason to permit you to have the rights you should already have?

WAY too long. Keep it 3 sentences or less. Mine was 1 sentence. My city doesn't allow "for all lawful purposes" so I added a llittle more.

"I am requesting an unrestricted LTC for all lawful purposes including but not limited to hunting, target shooting, self defense, sporting, collecting, etc."

Done.

I'd live with it for the next 5 or so years, doing the following along the way...

1. Purchase some pistols, rifles or shotguns, become safe and proficient in their use, don't shoot or threaten anyone
2. Join a club, participate heavily, try to make friends, run for grounds chairman or something like that, volunteer for a few shit jobs nobody wants
3. Take some firearms proficiency courses
4. Join an organized shooting team and respectfully participate
5. Keep your nose squeaky clean in all matters, don't date/bang any psycho broads no matter how hot
6. Later on, consult a knowledgable lawyer for advice on how to manage your renewal and what to do if you don't get ALP.
7. Make an appointment for your renewal and follow your Lawyer's advice
8. Go to an old man barbershop and get a Ivy League or other conservative haircut and shave; procure a shirt and tie for the renewal interview
9. Pray

Back
Top Bottom