• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letter to my Chief of police

^^^ He could/should be doing all of those things now anyway and still fight it instead of just rolling over and taking it for 5 yrs. Some things are worth fighting for.

It was my understanding that chiefs could add/remove restrictions at will and therefore he is not, strictly speaking, "stuck with it for five years." Weren't there some towns (I don't recall which specifically) where they gave all new LTCs restrictions for two years, and then if you asked after that, they'd remove them provided you hadn't done something stupid? Silly policy but I guess they could argue you've "proven yourself" that you are not going to make the wrong kinds of headlines.

^^^^ “Please boss, I done behaved good for two years now, plowed your fields, carried your water, ate your sh*t, can I please be a full blown free man yet boss?”

It’s absolutely absurd that CoP have that much authority to circumvent the COTUS at will.

^^^^ “Please boss, I done behaved good for two years now, plowed your fields, carried your water, ate your sh*t, can I please be a full blown free man yet boss?”

It’s absolutely absurd that CoP have that much authority to circumvent the COTUS at will.
I agree wholeheartedly. But in MA, it's like a corollary to "play stupid games, win stupid prizes." You must play their stupid games or content yourself with a restricted prize if you live in a red town.

I had to back-peddle for a few seconds after the no-banging hawt psycho broads directive...

Then I was like, no wait, that's actually the most important one.....you'll lose your firearms faster than a felony if she comes after you for anything.

I agree wholeheartedly. But in MA, it's like a corollary to "play stupid games, win stupid prizes." You must play their stupid games or content yourself with a restricted prize if you live in a red town.

No I understand, I wasn’t poking fun at your post, sorry if it came out that way, just the ridiculousness of giving CoP that much power and having to grovel at their politically appointed feet.

Last edited:
In the following picture below is my letter to my chief of police on removing my restrictions (hunting & targeting). My buddy says its a bit to much and to keep it simiple. Let me know any help will be appreciated. Btw, trying to get ltc in springfield, MA View attachment 241366

I know Barberi personally.... he is busy. He or a deputy will scan that letter.. see its verbose, talks about feelings etc and be annoyed. You may get a Res. None anyway but they get 20 letters like that every day.

A better letter.. is give reason why your not just like everyone else in Springfield that gets Target and Hunting. Talk about extra training, service of any kind, need for work or personal activities that are different than most, amount of time you've been carrying/licensed.

Its stupid that it has to be like this.. but it is. The main thing Barberi is looking for is that your not some goof like everyone else with very little skill/training. Hell he knows half the part timers in his department shouldn't be carrying guns.

Something like this.. (made this up)

I have the following experience:
7+ Years experience carrying concealed on a daily basis
I have attended over 10 professional classes geared towards safe and effective CCW use.
Served in an infantry unit for 6 years

For these reasons I feel I am qualified to receive a permit with no restrictions that would prevent me from carrying lawfully.

Again I don't agree with the hoops but its the way it is. I wouldn't write a letter personally but if I did it would be something short and concise like that. Almost like a resume.

I'd live with it for the next 5 or so years, doing the following along the way...

1. Purchase some pistols, rifles or shotguns, become safe and proficient in their use, don't shoot or threaten anyone
2. Join a club, participate heavily, try to make friends, run for grounds chairman or something like that, volunteer for a few shit jobs nobody wants
3. Take some firearms proficiency courses
4. Join an organized shooting team and respectfully participate
5. Keep your nose squeaky clean in all matters, don't date/bang any psycho broads no matter how hot
6. Later on, consult a knowledgable lawyer for advice on how to manage your renewal and what to do if you don't get ALP.
7. Make an appointment for your renewal and follow your Lawyer's advice
8. Go to an old man barbershop and get a Ivy League or other conservative haircut and shave; procure a shirt and tie for the renewal interview
9. Pray

or...move

I know Barberi personally.... he is busy. He or a deputy will scan that letter.. see its verbose, talks about feelings etc and be annoyed. You may get a Res. None anyway but they get 20 letters like that every day.

A better letter.. is give reason why your not just like everyone else in Springfield that gets Target and Hunting. Talk about extra training, service of any kind, need for work or personal activities that are different than most, amount of time you've been carrying/licensed.

Its stupid that it has to be like this.. but it is. The main thing Barberi is looking for is that your not some goof like everyone else with very little skill/training. Hell he knows half the part timers in his department shouldn't be carrying guns.

Something like this.. (made this up)

I have the following experience:
7+ Years experience carrying concealed on a daily basis
I have attended over 10 professional classes geared towards safe and effective CCW use.
Served in an infantry unit for 6 years

For these reasons I feel I am qualified to receive a permit with no restrictions that would prevent me from carrying lawfully.

Again I don't agree with the hoops but its the way it is. I wouldn't write a letter personally but if I did it would be something short and concise like that. Almost like a resume.
If I dont write a letter how else should i go about it? Also i sell and buy alot of stuff online and do carry large amount of money would that be consider enough as a "business" as well as my family is huge into hunting and has always had a few guns in the house doses that give some credit to me? Thanks for the reply.

If I dont write a letter how else should i go about it? Also i sell and buy alot of stuff online and do carry large amount of money would that be consider enough as a "business" as well as my family is huge into hunting and has always had a few guns in the house doses that give some credit to me? Thanks for the reply.

"Buy and sell a lot online" he'll laugh at that too

After reading this entire thread, I no longer think the letter is good.
You should consult Jason A. Guida. He is an attorney who specializes in this.
Without coming up with a plan, you will only burn bridges.
You should also take into consideration that you are only 21 in a red town.

You’re grasping at straws. Get an attorney who knows what he’s talking about and knows how to address it. End. Stop. Go.

Last edited:

I wouldn't write a letter because I don't care if I have restrictions.. i would carry anyway. Zero guys from SPD care about restrictions unless your caught doing something else. IE SPD gives restrictions so when they stop you in a club at 2am with a snubbie in your sock.. they don't have to give your gun back to you cause you have a T/H permit. Or your some jackass carrying a G17 in a tight tshirt at a Walmart they will see that your a goof and don't have to give you your gun back. If your responsible and keep it concealed I wouldn't waste a thought on it.

This is not legal advice.. it is real world advice based on working in LE and knowing half of the guys in SPD. If this is your first permit and your 21 your ****ed. Your getting a T/H permit unless you know someone or need it for work. No amount of letter writing is gonna help. I wouldn't hire a lawyer for it.. its really not worth it.

I wouldn't write a letter because I don't care if I have restrictions.. i would carry anyway. Zero guys from SPD care about restrictions unless your caught doing something else. IE SPD gives restrictions so when they stop you in a club at 2am with a snubbie in your sock.. they don't have to give your gun back to you cause you have a T/H permit. Or your some jackass carrying a G17 in a tight tshirt at a Walmart they will see that your a goof and don't have to give you your gun back. If your responsible and keep it concealed I wouldn't waste a thought on it.

This is not legal advice.. it is real world advice based on working in LE and knowing half of the guys in SPD. If this is your first permit and your 21 your ****ed. Your getting a T/H permit unless you know someone or need it for work. No amount of letter writing is gonna help. I wouldn't hire a lawyer for it.. its really not worth it.

Sorry but this is terrible advice and you’re setting him up for felony charges if he follows it. You may be speaking from some years of experience and simply knowing some locals so you feel more comfortable doing it, but he’s brand new at 21 and has no clue what’s he’s doing yet, let’s not get him jammed up over testosterone.

I said it wasn't legal advice it is good advice. Spending 2k+ on a lawyer to change a word on your LTC that no one cares about is hilarious advice.

Yeah he is gonna be a felon over carrying on an LTC restriction :rolleyes:

Have you guys even been to court in this state?

Im going to stop here as I have argued this ad nauseum on this forum. Carry on with the sheepish behavior if you like.

I said it wasn't legal advice it is good advice. Spending 2k+ on a lawyer to change a word on your LTC that no one cares about is hilarious advice.

Yeah he is gonna be a felon over carrying on an LTC restriction :rolleyes:

Have you guys even been to court in this state?

Im going to stop here as I have argued this ad nauseum on this forum. Carry on with the sheepish behavior if you like.

You’re allegedly some kind of Federal Security and you’re telling the kid to carry on a restricted LTC and not to worry about it if he gets stopped cuz the cops don’t care. Seriously?

Maybe you know half of SPD and can get away with some things if they stopped you, good for you, but this kid is 21 and doesn’t know anybody, you think they’ll give him a pass downtown Saturday night on a traffic stop if some young rookie hems him up? You’re f***ing high if you do and you’re setting him up for failure.

You’re allegedly some kind of Federal Security and you’re telling the kid to carry on a restricted LTC and not to worry about it if he gets stopped cuz the cops don’t care. Seriously?
Why would you get hemmed up in a traffic stop? This is a no legal obligation to inform state. It would never come up.

I have yet to hear of 1 case in the Springfield area where someone was stripped of their 2a rights based solely on a restriction. I think there are 3 cases statewide since restrictions went in and none of those were for restrictions only. So the number on restrictions only prosecuting resulting in a loss of license is literally zero.. ever. If I have overlooked some I welcome the correction. Thousands of people carry every day in this state with restrictions, 3 have been jammed on it... ever. So its like millions to 3 odds. Id make that bet.. all day.

And yes I work in the LE field and that's how I know none of us give a shit.
If you have a permit.. you have a permit. Only way any LE is f***ing with you on that is if your an huge a**h***, a major dumbass, or you've committed an actual crime.

Do what you want.. but I am telling you.. no one except this board gives a shit.

Last edited:
I have yet to hear of 1 case in the Springfield area where someone was stripped of their 2a rights based solely on a restriction. I think there are 3 cases statewide since restrictions went in and none of those were for restrictions only

Not surprising that you haven't heard of many cases. Revocation of LTC is administrative matter at local PD. No statistics are available on their actions. If someone takes the revocation to court, you would "hear" about it. Someone jammed up due to violating restrictions is probably not going to spend $20,000 trying to appeal it.

Your advice to ignore restrictions is just plain stupid.

@MMArtist, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

We have a brand new LTC recipient, kid’s 21 years old (no disrespect intended but he knows zero about any of this yet, according to his own posts asking the question) and you’re literally telling him to break the law one week in and disregard what the CoP has directed instead of trying to do the right thing and get an attorney first.

I think restrictions are BS too, unfortunately his word is still the law in that city and I’d rather not tell a young man who’s trying to do the right thing to blatantly break the law and find out he got jammed up over bad advice and is now a PP.

All it takes is one other a**h*** in a city full of a**h***s to involve this kid in a fight or altercation anywhere anytime and the police show up while he’s carrying, then what?

I’m pretty familiar with LE and how it works on the street, knucklehead rookies wearing Superman or Punisher patches on their armor under the uniform, lots of mouth breathers just looking for a chance to f*** with someone.

I’m also trying to protect this site (not because “we’re the only ones who care about restrictions”) (*you basically just called us a bunch of pussies) but because it’s a high traffic, well known and respected place to come to for advice about gun rights, safety and how to navigate the unrealistic laws here. If we start telling first time users to completely disregard what the license states then we’re no better than some other garbage sites out there full of bad advice and chest thumping nonsense.

EG:

Nobody is safe in this state when it comes to carrying and getting jammed up even if you’re legal. I got jammed up carrying legally, after getting jumped by 5 little gang bangers at a 7/11, fight ensued and I got arrested because “gun”, even with witnesses saying I was completely innocent and they had threatened me saying they were going to shoot me when I left the store. Fight was on right there, cops show up after. I get arrested. Go figure.

It gets better, I then got shot at, not once but twice, with my own pistol, missed my head by 2” inches while I was handcuffed to a wall inside the police station, had stuff stolen out of my car after it was towed, had magazines and ammo stolen, and had a bottle of eye solution squirted all over my face when I asked for some first aid because one of the known felons was bleeding from the mouth before he had sunk his teeth into my bicep, that is still scarred to this day, ripped right thru my shirt growling like a dog while tearing at the flesh of my arm. All I asked for was some help cleaning it up, and I got the whole bottle of eye solution all over my face and chest, not my arm where I was leaking blood all the way down, but my face, they threw a band aid on my lap and walked away laughing.

Now this happened to a veteran freshly home from my tour and legally carrying, what do you think would happen to this kid? Just trying to avoid anyone else having to go thru that.

Take it for what it’s worth. But I’d still do the right thing first before going that route.

Why would you get hemmed up in a traffic stop? This is a no legal obligation to inform state. It would never come up.

I have yet to hear of 1 case in the Springfield area where someone was stripped of their 2a rights based solely on a restriction. I think there are 3 cases statewide since restrictions went in and none of those were for restrictions only. So the number on restrictions only prosecuting resulting in a loss of license is literally zero.. ever. If I have overlooked some I welcome the correction. Thousands of people carry every day in this state with restrictions, 3 have been jammed on it... ever. So its like millions to 3 odds. Id make that bet.. all day.

And yes I work in the LE field and that's how I know none of us give a shit.
If you have a permit.. you have a permit. Only way any LE is f***ing with you on that is if your an huge a**h***, a major dumbass, or you've committed an actual crime.

Do what you want.. but I am telling you.. no one except this board gives a shit.

You may be some secret squirrel who can't share their credentials. I am not secret. I'm a lawyer who was a prosecutor for 13 years in Boston and the AG's office and for the past 13 years have been in private practice in criminal defense and gun licensing. Please stop advising people. You are going to get good people in trouble. I have personally represented two people prosecuted for carrying outside of their restrictions who both lost their licenses to carry. One went to a criminal complaint and it was far from easy to get it dismissed prior to arraignment. People will lose their licenses listening to you.

@MMArtist, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

We have a brand new LTC recipient, kid’s 21 years old (no disrespect intended but he knows zero about any of this yet, according to his own posts asking the question) and you’re literally telling him to break the law one week in and disregard what the CoP has directed instead of trying to do the right thing and get an attorney first.

I think restrictions are BS too, unfortunately his word is still the law in that city and I’d rather not tell a young man who’s trying to do the right thing to blatantly break the law and find out he got jammed up over bad advice and is now a PP.

All it takes is one other a**h*** in a city full of a**h***s to involve this kid in a fight or altercation anywhere anytime and the police show up while he’s carrying, then what?

I’m pretty familiar with LE and how it works on the street, knucklehead rookies wearing Superman or Punisher patches on their armor under the uniform, lots of mouth breathers just looking for a chance to f*** with someone.

I’m also trying to protect this site (not because “we’re the only ones who care about restrictions”) (*you basically just called us a bunch of pussies) but because it’s a high traffic, well known and respected place to come to for advice about gun rights, safety and how to navigate the unrealistic laws here. If we start telling first time users to completely disregard what the license states then we’re no better than some other garbage sites out there full of bad advice and chest thumping nonsense.

EG:

Nobody is safe in this state when it comes to carrying and getting jammed up even if you’re legal. I got jammed up carrying legally, after getting jumped by 5 little gang bangers at a 7/11, fight ensued and I got arrested because “gun”, even with witnesses saying I was completely innocent and they had threatened me saying they were going to shoot me when I left the store. Fight was on right there, cops show up after. I get arrested. Go figure.

It gets better, I then got shot at, not once but twice, with my own pistol, missed my head by 2” inches while I was handcuffed to a wall inside the police station, had stuff stolen out of my car after it was towed, had magazines and ammo stolen, and had a bottle of eye solution squirted all over my face when I asked for some first aid because one of the known felons was bleeding from the mouth before he had sunk his teeth into my bicep, that is still scarred to this day, ripped right thru my shirt growling like a dog while tearing at the flesh of my arm. All I asked for was some help cleaning it up, and I got the whole bottle of eye solution all over my face and chest, not my arm where I was leaking blood all the way down, but my face, they threw a band aid on my lap and walked away laughing.

Now this happened to a veteran freshly home from my tour and legally carrying, what do you think would happen to this kid? Just trying to avoid anyone else having to go thru that.

Take it for what it’s worth. But I’d still do the right thing first before going that route.

Wait what?

I am not going to get into that story... you got shot at with your own gun inside the police station? Hrm okay.

Im going to end with this. Everyone on this board is giving to the T legal advice and that's fine. I have already said I am not giving legal advice. I am saying the odds of getting in trouble for restrictions alone is very very low.. Like 100,000s to 1. I wouldn't be worried about it.

If your worried about a couple words printed on your License to Carry then leave your gun at home. Pretty simple.

I'm just not into to disarming over a couple arbitrary words printed on a card.

Sounds like bad advice to carry on a restricted LTC. I heard lots of people do it but it still a bad idea. Anyone that carries knows that there is a possibility they will have to use their weapon. But if you do use your weapon on a restricted LTC they will hang your ass. My advice is to NEVER carry with a restricted. Write a letter, get a lawyer but do NOT carry.

A better letter.. is give reason why your not just like everyone else in Springfield that gets Target and Hunting.
+1

The letter will probably go to someone who has been told to keep the unrestricted permits down to a small percentage of the total. You need to convince this person why you are in the top x% and should be told yes when others are told no.

Just to confirm, the POLICE did that to you, including shooting the wall next to your head? That's an incredible story.

Please stop advising people. You are going to get good people in trouble.
There is a decent chance a cop in a town where the culture is "all permits issues unrestricted" may look at someone carrying on a restricted Springfield or Brookline permit and react with "looks like a valid LTC to me, have a nice day".

BUT... consider someone with a restricted permit stopped in a town where only important or connected people get unrestricted. The chances of someone getting a "pass" on a restriction are small.

And, if a department was inclined to issue a restricted LTC, it would probably not be inclined to respond with "restrictions don't matter" when it gets a report of carry outside the restriction.

Atty Tassel speaks the truth. You are playing with fire if you decide to take your chances on any encounter you have being with a sympathetic cop from a department that will not hang him/her out to dry if (s)he gives you a pass on a restricted LTC.

Even with Atty Tassel's good reputation for competence, I doubt he got the LTC reinstated for his clients violating the restriction.

There is a decent chance a cop in a town where the culture is "all permits issues unrestricted" may look at someone carrying on a restricted Springfield or Brookline permit and react with "looks like a valid LTC to me, have a nice day".

BUT... consider someone with a restricted permit stopped in a town where only important or connected people get unrestricted. The chances of someone getting a "pass" on a restriction are small.

And, if a department was inclined to issue a restricted LTC, it would probably not be inclined to respond with "restrictions don't matter" when it gets a report of carry outside the restriction.

Atty Tassel speaks the truth. You are playing with fire if you decide to take your chances on any encounter you have being with a sympathetic cop from a department that will not hang him/her out to dry if (s)he gives you a pass on a restricted LTC.

Even with Atty Tassel's good reputation for competence, I doubt he got the LTC reinstated for his clients violating the restriction.

+1

Another issue is the MSP. I doubt many of our friendly storm troopers would "overlook" some peon carrying on a restricted permit.

Just to confirm, the POLICE did that to you, including shooting the wall next to your head? That's an incredible story.

Yes. I was handcuffed to the wall by one arm in the booking area, this was immediately after the water boarding treatment I got and I was soaked, then I hear a shot and my face gets covered with plaster from the wall next to my head, then a second shot, same thing, more plaster exploding from the wall and covering my soaking wet face.

I had to assume that the one a**h*** that got arrested with me who didn’t run at the sound of the sirens (he was down and beaten pretty badly by that point) has taken an officers gun and is killing them and I’m next.

I turned towards the wall and braced with my foot trying to pull the handcuff out of the wall to try and save my own life.

Then I hear/see cops laughing and running around like kids, then the fattest cop I’ve ever seen comes around the corner all red faced, screaming at me for carrying a firearm because I’m not a cop and don’t need one.

It hit me then what had happened, this fat f*** Lt was trying to unload my pistol (it was a SigP230 w/mag release under the magwell) and fired two rounds thru the wall while doing it. Not one word of exaggeration here. Still have all the reports from my attorney.

I looked at him and as calmly as I could said, “Better question LT is wtf are you doing trying to kill me? You need some goddamn remedial training MF’r.”

They threw me in a cage for about 5 hours with no first aid, did let me make 3 phone calls til I got my boss to come bail me out at 0430.

Prior to being bailed (was now around midnight/arrest was about 10pm) they said they were going to my house to confiscate all weapons and ammo since my LTC was now suspended, so I told them my GF was there sleeping, don’t kick in the door and scare the shit out of her I’ll tell you where everything is, just leave her alone. I had about 20 firearms and 20K rds of ammo in there.

Bailed at 0430, directly home to see the damage and find her still sleeping, I’m covered in blood, she’s freaking out, and they never came to take any of the firearms. I moved everything out of the house at about 0530 to a safe place just in case they showed up the next day, I was willing to take that risk and pretty pissed by now as you might imagine. They never came. They lied in the police report about the shots fired and just about everything else that happened.

My attorneys (David and John Locke) got photos of the wall, my injuries, I got 800.00 in shots for the bites, a hospital bill for two broken toes, couple hundred to get my car back, thousands in attorney fees but we beat it about 8 months later with the judge ripping them in court for how they handled the whole thing. All charges were dismissed with prejudice and my LTC and pistol returned ASAP.

Sounds like fiction but honestly you can’t make this sh*t up. Total and complete Clusterf***.

Back
Top Bottom