• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letter of Explanation to COP

That's my town. Medfield is super green. The sergeant in charge of licensing is a good guy.

I printed the online form and dropped it off at the front desk. Then got a call the next day to come in for fingerprints.
3 months later, LTC ALP. Slow, but no troubles at all.

For the letter, just use common sense when answering. You can use ALP, but elaborate a bit as well. Be tactful and civil. Shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the stats, 98.4% LTC A.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Last edited:
I stated that I wished to inherit my grandfather's modest collection of firearms, that I have been exposed to customers and suppliers that love shooting sports all across the country. I want to be able to travel to some of these customer sites with my own firearms and go enjoy a long weekend of shooting events with them, however, some of the clubs where these events take place require an unrestricted LTC issued by your home state , (or equivalent) in order to participate. I would also like to expand my licensing to other states and an Unrestricted LTC issued by my home state, along with additional training, is the simplest path to licensing in many other states.

It worked for me.

Have him read this: http://mafirearmsafety.com/2010/03/gun-sense-19-reason-letter-for-class-a-ltc/

For all lawful purposes no longer flies. Mine was a bit longer though.
^Where are you getting this. That flies just fine in most towns.

It's a green town, but in the instructions for applying it specifically asks for a letter outlining your reasons for applying.
The letter is not a statutory requirement. The PD cannot force someone to submit the letter and they can't deny someone a license for NOT providing a letter. A person's reason for requesting a license shouldn't be at issue at all. The ONLY thing that should be questioned is whether someone is qualified.

The only question is the lengths an applicant is willing to go to assert their rights under the law. (notice I didn't say Constitution here?) From vast experience, I've learned that everyone will just suck it up and do whatever their PD demands of them whether the PD has a legal basis for their requirement or not.

The letter is not a statutory requirement. The PD cannot force someone to submit the letter and they can't deny someone a license for NOT providing a letter. A person's reason for requesting a license shouldn't be at issue at all. The ONLY thing that should be questioned is whether someone is qualified.

The only question is the lengths an applicant is willing to go to assert their rights under the law. (notice I didn't say Constitution here?) From vast experience, I've learned that everyone will just suck it up and do whatever their PD demands of them whether the PD has a legal basis for their requirement or not.

People need to stop doing unnecessary things when applying, and if possible hire an attorney or this stuff will never stop.

My town is green and it clearly states on their website that they will NOT accept for All Lawful Proposes anymore. This is just another back door plan to make it more difficult to get an unrestricted license in places that were never a problem before.

My town is green and it clearly states on their website that they will NOT accept for All Lawful Proposes anymore. This is just another back door plan to make it more difficult to get an unrestricted license in places that were never a problem before.

Time to bring up a law suit against them and the chief

Honestly, knowing that I lived in a RED city and was told by multiple people on here and my class instructor that I had no chance getting an LTC unrestricted, I wrote a one page letter.
It was the lawsuit that Comm2A filed that really got me my unrestricted but I wasn't going to chance it.

Last edited:
"For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, transfer, own and collect all large capacity pistols, rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting and personal protection."

"For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, transfer, own and collect all large capacity pistols, rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting and personal protection."
The best answer so far, after Knuckle Dragger's of course. The more you write, the more reasons the COP is going to have to restrict or deny you. It is a game that is played by a COP who doesn't believe that the general public has or needs the right to protect themselves outside of their home. Your chances of being labeled paranoid, a gun nut, wanting to play police officer, etc., go up exponentially with the more you write.

my grandson turned 21 the first week of may. he applied for his permit a week later. on july 3 he got his ltc class a with no restrictions. talk about one happy grandson.

bob

Back
Top Bottom