Letter of Explanation to COP

For the towns that require a letter outlining the reasons for application addressed to the Chief of Police, what needs to be addressed? I'm assuming that:

Dear Chief,

For all lawful purposes.

Sincerely,
so-and-so

Isn't going to fly. This is for a friend who I got into shooting who is FINALLY putting his application in a Green town.

Thanks

BTW COP=Chief Of Police (in the title)

Last edited:
It's a green town, but in the instructions for applying it specifically asks for a letter outlining your reasons for applying.

It's crap that every town is different and the COP's get to make up the rules as they go along. Posting the city/town your friend is from might help so others from that town could share what they wrote

My town wanted no part of a written letter and was very happy to just have "All Lawful Purposes" on the application. I had written a letter just in case, but they didn't want it.

My guy was cool told him I drive to crappy places for work he went yep I carry in all those towns too here you go.

I guess I'm lucky to be in Franklin. Go in, have a little chat and hand over a check and you are done.

There was a Scrivner post from quite a while ago that had a bullet point list of reasons for ALP. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

BS on the all lawful purposes doesn't fly. Some COP are fine with it.

True, but given the question being asked, I can only assume he was applying in a RED town.

I put how I work in an undesirable location at undesirable times and also how I need to protect my family at all times being the head of the household.

Obviously went in more detail but I got an unrestricted in a RED town.

Last edited:
I didn't have to write a letter, but I would lean more on being an avid outdoorsman/woman that does a lot of hiking on the weekends. Having a concealed firearm would give you a better piece of mind in case you come across an animal that decides to attack you or a companion. A firearm can also be used in a situation if you become lost. A few shots could be fired after sundown to catch someone's attention, especially in MA state forest where no shots should be fired unless it's hunting season. Also express that most state forest (especially where I live) have zero cell service. I would also express at the end that it will be used for lawful purposes only and never to be used to break any laws.

I think ink the last thing a red town wants to hear is using a firearm to protect yourself from an attacker of some sort in their town. Their reply would most likely be, "that's what the police are for." Which we all know is BS.

If the town is actually green, he shouldn't need a stupid letter.

-Mike

If the town is actually green, he shouldn't need a stupid letter.

-Mike
My town is green and I needed the stupid letter.

Other than "ALP" and it is my right, I still played the game because it was my town requirement. I wrote a 2 page letter about who I am, where I have been, where I am now and what I plan to do later. I will try to find a copy of it and PM you. Good Luck to your friend

"I am requesting an LTC for all lawful purposes, including sporting, hunting, collecting, and personal protection."

That was good for my red town

If you have to submit a letter, I'd be very careful about what is said in it. The longer the letter, the more chance that something in it will come back to haunt you. My two cents worth of advice.

How about a no bullshit story like; "I'd like to carry my weapons within the law without danger of being in any violations as well as being capable to applying to other states without worry of being denied as being some unknown danger to society".

Wordy crapola only opens you up to deeper interrogations or questions your motive. Save the long drawn out stories for when you are $hitfaced in repeat mode and nobody GAF in the morning.

Last edited:
I didn't have to write a letter, but I would lean more on being an avid outdoorsman/woman that does a lot of hiking on the weekends. Having a concealed firearm would give you a better piece of mind in case you come across an animal that decides to attack you or a companion. A firearm can also be used in a situation if you become lost. A few shots could be fired after sundown to catch someone's attention, especially in MA state forest where no shots should be fired unless it's hunting season. Also express that most state forest (especially where I live) have zero cell service. I would also express at the end that it will be used for lawful purposes only and never to be used to break any laws.

I think ink the last thing a red town wants to hear is using a firearm to protect yourself from an attacker of some sort in their town. Their reply would most likely be, "that's what the police are for." Which we all know is BS.

I've heard anecdotes and read a few posts here, over the years, that using "outdoor activities" for a reason, may result in a "sporting" or similar restriction. Of course, that depends if the Chief has a headache that day.

If you want unrestricted, it has to be assumed, using a firearm for the protection of a life is a possibility. There is nothing wrong with you saying you want to able to defend the lives of you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom