• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let's talk about backup guns

I'm a firm believer in the two is one, one is none philosophy. Now, I'm not someone who believes that you need to carry 5 guns everywhere you go, but I do think there is merit to having a backup gun for various and sundry reasons.

What guns do you think make for good choices in a backup gun role? To me, an NAA mini revolver is absolutely the perfect size for such a task, but I don't consider something that small and difficult to shoot a backup gun; it's more of a last ditch or hold out gun. Also, imo, a backup gun ideally should be chambered in or be able to shoot the same ammunition as your primary carry gun.

Did a few BUG (Backup Gun) Courses. Used a few diffrent pistols and revolvers with a couple diffrent carry methods. Highly recommend taking one if you want to carry a BUG. For me its 99% of the time a G19 with IWB @ the 3 or 4, 1 extra MAG on a NeoMag Holder a G42 on the ankle and a Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .410 in a pocket holster in the pocket of course.

Snubby. .38 special is just fine. I haul a Model 37 at the ankle sometimes.

I've slacked on even carrying one gun lately. A reliable gun and a backup mag is probably a better use of the weight. If my G19 goes down I probably deserve whatever comes next.

One mind, any weapon, right?

Mike

I think any one of those turned in on the gun buyback that boston and others held this past Saturday will end up as somebodys unmarked backup gun :oops:. other than that I think p238 on a ankle holster works.

I just carry spare mag or two and practice drawing and then clearing a malfunction or swapping mags and continuing.

What guns do you think make for good choices in a backup gun role?

If I ever get there I'm over my head and its over. I carry a gun as a tool I'll probably never need, adding the layer of "what if" to a tool I'll probably never need is such a diminishing return its not worth it. If I were forced into a "what if" corner, I think I'd want a vest instead of a gun.

If I ever get there I'm over my head and its over. I carry a gun as a tool I'll probably never need, adding the layer of "what if" to a tool I'll probably never need is such a diminishing return its not worth it. If I were forced into a "what if" corner, I think I'd want a vest instead of a gun.
But what if you weren't alone and you encountered a situation where you might have to arm the person you're with? Two good guys with a gun is better than one good guy with a gun.

I'm also a big "2=1, 1=0" believer but I'm leaning toward no based on the odds. Last month on GlockTalk a user named Powernoodle gave this answer. He didn't cite where his numbers came from but I bet they're conservative estimates.

"- Odds of Powernoodle needing to shoot his gun in a defensive scenario in his lifetime : 1 in 1,600
- Odds of Powernoodle's gun running empty or malfunctioning during a defensive scenario: 1 in 640,000

So no - no backup gun for Powernoodle."

I'd rather just have a weapon so proven in exceptionally rugged conditions that the pros trust it.

Source: https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/do-you-carry-a-bug.1683218/#post-24808673

My backup is a shield in a pocket and 642 on the ankle.

Backups are not just about replacing a nonworking gun, its also about access

You may not be able to reach your primary if your shooting hand is hurt or held, or you may be pinned in a position that you cant reach your primary

But what if you weren't alone and you encountered a situation where you might have to arm the person you're with? Two good guys with a gun is better than one good guy with a gun.

If that companion isn't already carrying, I question whether I trust him to be trained and to know how to use my particular gun. Any stupid action on his part becomes liability for me in court (assuming he doesn't accidentally kill me).

If that companion isn't already carrying, I question whether I trust him to be trained and to know how to use my particular gun. Any stupid action on his part becomes liability for me in court (assuming he doesn't accidentally kill me).
The better question is who the f*** hangs out with people that don’t carry their own?? Get new friends.

If that companion isn't already carrying, I question whether I trust him to be trained and to know how to use my particular gun.

Who's to say said companion has an LTC, but resides in a red town with restrictions for target/hunting/sporting?

On topic; Glock 42/43 as backup

Last edited:
I'm not someone who believes that you need to carry 5 guns everywhere you go..."

Well, we could with a Glock 22 in a shoulder holster, Glock 27 IWB appendix, Kahr PM40 in right front pocket, Sig P238 in a neck holster and Seecamp .32 in an ankle holster... well, we could if we had an ankle holster. So I guess the Seecamp goes in my hat. (Zero beavers) o_O

Clint Smith did a video on backup guns and his take was why the hell would you carry a backup gun smaller than your primary gun? Wish I could find the video. I did find one on ankle guns...I can't carry so none of this applies to me ha.

I'm also a big "2=1, 1=0" believer but I'm leaning toward no based on the odds. Last month on GlockTalk a user named Powernoodle gave this answer. He didn't cite where his numbers came from but I bet they're conservative estimates.

"- Odds of Powernoodle needing to shoot his gun in a defensive scenario in his lifetime : 1 in 1,600
- Odds of Powernoodle's gun running empty or malfunctioning during a defensive scenario: 1 in 640,000

So no - no backup gun for Powernoodle."

I'd rather just have a weapon so proven in exceptionally rugged conditions that the pros trust it.

Source: Do you carry a BUG
How can you guarantee you won't be separated from that one gun in a struggle?

My backup is a shield in a pocket and 642 on the ankle.

Backups are not just about replacing a nonworking gun, its also about access

You may not be able to reach your primary if your shooting hand is hurt or held, or you may be pinned in a position that you cant reach your primary
Exactly. There may be situations where you can only draw with your non-dominant hand and the best way to minimize lack of fine motor skills with your off hand is to be able to draw a gun with that hand as easily as possible that maximizes your effectiveness.

How can you guarantee you won't be separated from that one gun in a struggle?

Point taken. No guarantees in life but principles have proven themselves. Anyone can decrease the risk of being disarmed with excellent equipment, training for a fast draw, shooting in mock scenarios in addition to range time, and developing situational awareness. The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle. BUGs have their purpose but I want to emphasize those boring fundamentals first.

Besides, if you lose your gun, you probably either have a bad holster/handgrip or someone took the gun from you. If an assailant took your primary gun, I don't think an ankle holster is a quick enough draw as an alternative while this person is arm's length away. I have considered carrying double appendix and would probably explore that method if I carry a BUG.

Back
Top Bottom