• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let's talk about backup guns

I'm not someone who believes that you need to carry 5 guns everywhere you go..."

Well, we could with a Glock 22 in a shoulder holster, Glock 27 IWB appendix, Kahr PM40 in right front pocket, Sig P238 in a neck holster and Seecamp .32 in an ankle holster... well, we could if we had an ankle holster. So I guess the Seecamp goes in my hat. (Zero beavers) o_O

You're a brave man if you're putting a Seecamp in your hat....

I'm also a big "2=1, 1=0" believer but I'm leaning toward no based on the odds. Last month on GlockTalk a user named Powernoodle gave this answer. He didn't cite where his numbers came from but I bet they're conservative estimates.

"- Odds of Powernoodle needing to shoot his gun in a defensive scenario in his lifetime : 1 in 1,600
- Odds of Powernoodle's gun running empty or malfunctioning during a defensive scenario: 1 in 640,000

So no - no backup gun for Powernoodle."

I'd rather just have a weapon so proven in exceptionally rugged conditions that the pros trust it.

Source: Do you carry a BUG

If I ever get there I'm over my head and its over. I carry a gun as a tool I'll probably never need, adding the layer of "what if" to a tool I'll probably never need is such a diminishing return its not worth it. If I were forced into a "what if" corner, I think I'd want a vest instead of a gun.

^^^these...but to each his own...the way i see it the odds of ever needing to pull/use a gun are slim...how many civilian cases are there of someone using a backup gun?...i'm guessing those numbers are much smaller...playing the "what if" game could go on forever...you may as well cover yourself in kevlar...take every self defense martial art there is...strap 4 guns on yourself...carry an airhorn rape whistle...cover your car in industrial strength bubble wrap and call it a day...but if it makes you feel better then do it...it's a choice everyone has to make

myself, i'm barely able to carry as it is, it's never comfortable to do unless i'm walking, i have to make sure i'm dressed right to conceal it...so i tend to carry when i see myself being somewhere that there is a higher chance of something happening...walking the dogs at night, going to the mall to buy something, selling something on CL, etc...but that's my choice

Unless you live in Detroit, Chicago or Baltimore, and hang out/travel in, crime infested areas, the odds of needing a backup gun are next to zero.

This was the best Last Man Standing photo I could find. :(

lms-main1.jpg

It even follows Clint's full-size backup mentality. And about 499 magazines to boot. (Sadly, I couldn't get a lot of the mags in a pic.)

Back
Top Bottom