Let's see your backyard ranges

How much land is required to get a range in your backyard? I'm trying to get a decent amount of land when we buy next year. I'm sure the longer the better.

Since bullets can travel a long way, it may be more a question of the shape of the land or what is on the other side of your property line. If you want a rifle range you would need more than 100 yards of length, but you'd also need a good backstop.

50x50 yard flat range with 60' berm, long range out to 300. steel plates, moving targets, dualing tree, IPSC targets and stands, mock up CQB two-room house, VTAC 9 hole barricade, 2x TMACs barricades, gravel road access.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much land is required to get a range in your backyard? I'm trying to get a decent amount of land when we buy next year. I'm sure the longer the better.

I have no idea about other states in the northeast, but NH's laws are:

Per state law (RSAs 207:3-a, 207:3-c, and 644:13), you may not shoot across or within 15 feet of a road, or “within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated.”

You also may not discharge a firearm within the “compact part of a town or city,” defined as “the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:

(a) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.

(b) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.

(c) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area.”

So you'd need at least enough land to be 300 feet away from your nearest neighbor.

As for the rest of these pictures, I'm super jealous. I only ever get to go shooting at Manchester Firing Line, and I want to sight in my Garands for their 200 yard battle zero.

I really should look into joining a sportsman's club around here...

Thanks for sharing.

Boy, things have really changed here in Mass.

I was grew up in Medway in the 1960's.

I used to shoot all day in my backyard, NEVER had a problem.

Try that today.

50x50 yard flat range with 60' berm, long range out to 300. steel plates, moving targets, dualing tree, IPSC targets and stands, mock up CQB two-room house, VTAC 9 hole barricade, 2x TMACs barricades, gravel road access.

Why am I not shocked you gave a kill house lol.

Thanks for sharing.

Boy, things have really changed here in Mass.

I was grew up in Medway in the 1960's.

I used to shoot all day in my backyard, NEVER had a problem.

Try that today.

Someimes we can still shoot down behind Poochie Lee's on Adams St. Ssshhh.

Since bullets can travel a long way, it may be more a question of the shape of the land or what is on the other side of your property line. If you want a rifle range you would need more than 100 yards of length, but you'd also need a good backstop.

Hickock45 said as much in a video where he answered some viewer questions. One of the questions he often gets is, "How much land would I need for a setup like yours?" And his response is that it's more to do with the lay of the land and whether some portion of it forms a natural backstop, rather than having a specific amount of land area.

For a short range for pistols, it's more important to be outside a compact area, then you just need sufficient acreage to build a quality backstop and be far enough from your neighbors that they won't file noise complaints. Or plan to start a stamp collection.

Personally, I'm looking at +98 acres, that being the minimum lot size to fit in a 1000 yard range (barring a really strangely perimetered flag lot)

I have no idea about other states in the northeast, but NH's laws are:
. . .
So you'd need at least enough land to be 300 feet away from your nearest neighbor.
Unfortunately, the law is a little bit more complex than that, [thread=227924]see[/thread] the other [thread=116571]threads[/thread] for details. If you are not in a compact area, you just need to be on your own property (or have permission). If you are in a compact area, you need a lot more land, as you need to be standing 300 feet away from any [thread=269238]occupied dwelling[/thread], including your own house, when you pull the trigger.

Last edited:

I assume it's your property and the electric co has an easement through it. Do they have any issues with the range on the easement. I ask because we're looking at moving to a property with power lines.

attachment.php

Ain't fancy, but works for us.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ben 008.jpg
    Ben 008.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 471
  • shootin 4 13 013.jpg
    shootin 4 13 013.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 474
Pretty sure I can not use a sling shot with in 100 miles of my home....Not sure if its hate or jealousy for you people with home ranges [laugh]

I assume it's your property and the electric co has an easement through it. Do they have any issues with the range on the easement. I ask because we're looking at moving to a property with power lines.

Yes it's my family property and the electric co have a lease, they had concerns about it. I believe they asked my father if it was us shooting out there when I first started shooting there and that they had concerns for the "safety of their workers", who aren't allowed through our access gates on the property without notifying us, my father kindly told them to eat a dick and there hasn't been an inquiry since.

Otherwise I've never had an issue.

Right behind the house. Used mostly for .22LR and handguns:

Further back on the property. From the 200 yard line. (From the neighbors I can get 285 yards.):

From the 100 yard line. Using some stumps on the left to build a 25 yard berm:

"L" shaped berm. 75' x 75':

Pistol steel on the left hidden from the 100 yard line:

Rifle steel and some B-8 replacement centers used for zeroing:

I just shoot at a big, old pine tree out back. It works for now, until I can get to clearing some of my land and actually building a berm. The goat ****er target was me tinkering with my 300blk upper, I put some HK416 sights on it and couldn't get them quite dialed in. The picture is still funny.

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_8686.jpg
20150508_113958.jpg

At the house in Maine (where we spend much of our time), I have spent my entire life shooting in the neighbor's field next to the house. My neighbor died about ten years ago and the house has been empty, so we've just continued to shoot there because the family doesn't mind. But now it's being sold and will be turned into a development so not only is the field going to be completely out, but the woods directly behind the house where I shoot is also going to be out as a range, so I've finally had to join the rifle club up here, at least until I get some new land where I can shoot.

Backyard ranges are the best - especially as a reloader. Having to pack up all your stuff to head to the range to test a few rounds, then come back is a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom