Let's see your backyard ranges

Right behind the house. Used mostly for .22LR and handguns:

Further back on the property. From the 200 yard line. (From the neighbors I can get 285 yards.):

From the 100 yard line. Using some stumps on the left to build a 25 yard berm:

"L" shaped berm. 75' x 75':

Pistol steel on the left hidden from the 100 yard line:

Rifle steel and some B-8 replacement centers used for zeroing:

i hate you as well [rockon]

Very jealous. If only I didn't have close neighbors I have the perfect backstop at my house but that whole pesky not being able to shoot X ft from a dwelling rule gets me.

77c7e5ba11d82df0c1138955eb36506b.jpg

Very jealous. If only I didn't have close neighbors I have the perfect backstop at my house but that whole pesky not being able to shoot X ft from a dwelling rule gets me.

If your yard is long enough you could just bury some pipe .

I've posted these somewhere else on here, so most of you have probably seen it.
Built a simple frame with 3/8" steel to deflect bullets into a few tires.
Image.jpg

.308 barely scratches it. .223 is nothing.
Image 1.jpg

Looking back up to the barn where we shoot from, 200yds away. I don't need any further than that: I know how to adjust my sights for elevation.[wink]
Image 3.jpg

Next up: a good 50yd range for practicing pistol.

I have enough land, but my wife says, " You'll scare my horses." I think I will tape forked sticks to their heads this deer season....

This is out in my side yard, on the far side of the barn. Need to remember to keep the weeds hacked down and get some of that scrap wood into the burn barrel.

Redneck shootin' bench. I was googling shooting bench plans this weekend and might build one next weekend - for now, the trailer just keeps stuff off of the ground.

IMG_20150718_195607548_zpsiar6htan.jpg

25 yards

IMG_20150718_195611342_zpsh41iuukx.jpg

Steel and a pigeon holder. There's a traditional wood stand there now, too - built it yesterday. At some point it'd be nice to have a couple of pin tables there, too.

IMG_20150718_195619267_zpsygrobw1w.jpg

The land slopes up behind the targets, so it's safe to shoot there. I'm planning on putting up taller berms, possibly next spring. The Master of my Lodge has a tractor, and there are many dirt ramps where the previous owner's kids would jump their bikes, so they'll get repurposed and the dirt used for a berm.

There's also room to cut a 100 yard range into the woods - just need to lay it out and fire up the Husquevarna. If my wife'll let me. The chainsaw was her birthday present this year, so she may insist on doing all the fun stuff. [smile]

sweed said:
How much land is required to get a range in your backyard? I'm trying to get a decent amount of land when we buy next year. I'm sure the longer the better.

I have no idea about other states in the northeast, but NH's laws are:

Per state law (RSAs 207:3-a, 207:3-c, and 644:13), you may not shoot across or within 15 feet of a road, or “within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated.”

You also may not discharge a firearm within the “compact part of a town or city,” defined as “the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:

(a) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.

(b) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.

(c) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area.”

So you'd need at least enough land to be 300 feet away from your nearest neighbor.

As for the rest of these pictures, I'm super jealous. I only ever get to go shooting at Manchester Firing Line, and I want to sight in my Garands for their 200 yard battle zero.

I really should look into joining a sportsman's club around here...

Ya I'm on an acre with pretty much adjacent neighbors and I'm only just shy of 300ft away from them when at the middle of my back yard. Pretty much any layout with 5 acres or more will be enough to set up a useable range. As little as 2 would be doable if the layout works right. Personally when I next move I'll be searching for 10 or more.

Dumb question, does no shooting within a "compact area" in NH apply to BB/pellet guns as well? I'm guessing they don't meet the definition of "firearm" in NH law?

Back
Top Bottom