• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lesson learned, don't rent a weapon with a felony

Lesson learned for me: I knew they couldn't own but it never occurred to me that they couldn't even touch one. Absurdity.

This is part of the reason that the S&W shooting sports center shut down... a felon rented a gun there, feds found out about it, and S&W got sick of dealing with the bullshit.... although honestly in that case I think they shut it down because it wasn't profitable enough, but they used that incident as an excuse prelude to close it.

-Mike

So I need to ask my friends and loved ones if they've ever been convicted of a felony before I invite them to the range? What a conversation starter!

If you're going to a pay range its a definite consideration. Otherwise for anything else, "big boy/don't be retarded" type rules apply, IMHO, although even these days that's risky, because people are stupid with social media.

-Mike

If he's too dangerous to rent a gun at a range then he's too dangerous to be out of jail. Once your debt is paid your debt is paid. I’d like to know what his past conviction was for. There are a lot of benign acts that constitute a felony these days.

This times a thousand. Most of the founding father's would be felons with today's rules...

If you're going to a pay range its a definite consideration. Otherwise for anything else, "big boy/don't be retarded" type rules apply, IMHO, although even these days that's risky, because people are stupid with social media.

-Mike

this plus a thousand...forget loose lips sinks ships...social media will really screw you

Lesson learned for me: I knew they couldn't own but it never occurred to me that they couldn't even touch one. Absurdity.

That is the key point. It is NOT the same as an unlicensed person holding a gun in the presence of the license holder for instructional purposes.

The NJ courts have held that an individual living in a house with a spouse who is a felon cannot own a gun even if he arranges locked storage inaccessible to the spouse.

and none of this will stop this criminal from possessing a firearm again in the future.

hopefully Feinstein or Pelosi will figure out some additional infringements to help keep us all safe.

I'm so glad this clear threat to humanity is off the streets. Everyone who shoots guns should be in jail [/LIBERLLOGIC]

This law is stupid in the first place and definitely overkill on the sentencing.

I'm so glad this clear threat to humanity is off the streets. Everyone who shoots guns should be in jail [/LIBERLLOGIC]

This law is stupid in the first place and definitely overkill on the sentencing.
Federal sentencing is an entire different matter than MA courts. Under the federal system, if a crime calls for prison time, you will get that - not an alternative sentence, CWOF, etc. This is why even the innocent will often take a plea if faced with a federal charge.

This is the classic fruit of a low hanging branch. The issue at hand is not the stupidity of the law but the stupidity of the perp. In 2015 people jam themselves up all the time by posting things on social media. The days when the coppers were computer illiterate ended about 2003 for the most part. Why go out and investigate crime when people willingly incriminate themselves everyday on the Internet?

There is nothing to stop the police or anyone else from perusing the Internet and as long as the coppers are passive (unless involved in an active investigation) perfectly legal. It's PSGWSP.

Whether the law is right is another discussion entirely. If there is any doubt that you are doing something that John Law might look negatively upon or an employer might look negatively on, stay under the radar and don't post. This guy apparently had already piqued the interest of the gendarmes so they were looking. Moral of the story: you can do lots of things as long as you MYOB, stay under the radar and don't share with potentially thousands of your BFF Internet pals.

Federal sentencing is an entire different matter than MA courts. Under the federal system, if a crime calls for prison time, you will get that - not an alternative sentence, CWOF, etc. This is why even the innocent will often take a plea if faced with a federal charge.

The bolded part is terrifying. This system is broken beyond repair.

So I need to ask my friends and loved ones if they've ever been convicted of a felony before I invite them to the range? What a conversation starter!

Not to mention having had any mental health issues that have resulted in an involuntary stay in a psych facility.

Just Googled it and Connecticut can file a lien on any inheritances within 20 years of the person's release from incarceration.

That is insane and so completely unjust.

Im kinda surprised NESers feel this way... I would have figured people here would be all about taking the prison cost burden off the taxpayer. Im trying to find a reason to get upset over a criminal having to pay for their stay and Im having trouble. This is of course assuming good convictions.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

In 2015 people jam themselves up all the time by posting things on social media.
There was a warrant out for a guy in Ashland, but not one worth the trouble an expense of extraditing him from Florida. The local cops followed his facebook and arrested him when he was unloading his suitcase from his car back in Ashland.

Last edited:
Im kinda surprised NESers feel this way... I would have figured people here would be all about taking the prison cost burden off the taxpayer. Im trying to find a reason to get upset over a criminal having to pay for their stay and Im having trouble. This is of course assuming good convictions.

Mike

I'm actually of the opposite view. If government is to provide a service it should be fully funded by everyone. You should not have to pay for any service that is government based. I.e. if people think everyone should have registered cars, there SHOULDN'T be a fee to do so. It should all be prepaid by taxes. Hunting license? Free. Permit for your house? Free.

Yes, I realize it's not "free", I'm just saying you can't pass a law and then lay the cost at the feet of an individual. That's the actual definition of theft.

The idea government can force in individual to pay for something only ENCOURAGES the government to abuse the power. This is EXACTLY how we end up with the current out of control civil forfeiture. It's all related.

Yes, I realize it's not "free", I'm just saying you can't pass a law and then lay the cost at the feet of an individual. That's the actual definition of theft.
How is that different than taking money from persons not using the service to make it generally available to all for free?

At least with Emerson v. Boston, the difference between a "fee" and a "tax" in MA has a clear distinction - which is important when cities try to use "fees" to bypass taxation limits.

How is that different than taking money from persons not using the service to make it generally available to all for free?

At least with Emerson v. Boston, the difference between a "fee" and a "tax" in MA has a clear distinction - which is important when cities try to use "fees" to bypass taxation limits.

It's not different, but it makes all voters required to bear the burden of the politicians that get elected.

Mike

It's an extra sentence. It's no different from someone receiving a fine on a conviction, than later saying, yeah...it's actually going to be 50k more than we said. Usually people don't voluntarily choose to live in prison. Sort of hard for people who have no job (because they are in prison) to pay for their rent. Want to make them pay towards their stay? Make them work while they are in. I'm fine with that. Releasing them after they serve their sentence and paid their dues, only to make them pay more, immoral and corrupt.

Also you assumption that it is a "good" conviction is quite an assumption...

Mike

Because there's a shitload of people in prison that the state would never get any money from. You can't get blood out of a stone.

Also, the entire idea of putting a lien on someone AFTER they get out of prison is effectively being punished for a crime after ones sentence has
been served.

-Mike

Because there's a shitload of people in prison that the state would never get any money from. You can't get blood out of a stone.

Also, the entire idea of putting a lien on someone AFTER they get out of prison is effectively being punished for a crime after ones sentence has
been served.

-Mike
Unless the sentance is time AND restitution .

So the gubmint locks someone up and takes away his liberty. They release him, but charge him for the cost of locking him up. When he pays for the cost of locking him up, they charge him for the time it took to charge him for the cost of locking him up. When he pays that, they charge him for the cost of processing his payment.

I better stop now, of they'll take me seriously and start pulling this too.

yeah, I think the bigger lesson here is that if you are committing a crime don't post pics of the evidence on social media.

Back
Top Bottom