• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lesson learned, don't rent a weapon with a felony

People commonly think that because temporary possession in the presence of a license holder (or rental at a range in non-license states) is not a transfer of ownership or permanent possession that it falls outside the purview of "felon in possession" laws.

This guy would not have had this problem if he took the Len S law class.

If he's too dangerous to rent a gun at a range then he's too dangerous to be out of jail. Once your debt is paid your debt is paid. I’d like to know what his past conviction was for. There are a lot of benign acts that constitute a felony these days.

Jeremy Robinson, 26, of Hyannis Massachusetts --- way to destroy his life. Once in the system, always in the system. No chance to get a good job/ career. It's often said, that if we all were caught in the stupid things we did at his age, we would be in the same circumstance. The system really needs an overhaul. Does throwing them in jail make them better citizens when released? Especially jailtime for going to a shooting range?? Also, what's up with the $100 fine? Really? 2+ years isn't enough?

Last edited:
Jeremy Robinson, 26, of Hyannis Massachusetts --- way to destroy his life. Once in the system, always in the system. No chance to get a good job/ career. It's often said, that if we all were caught in the stupid things we did at his age, we would be in the same circumstance. The system really needs an overhaul. Does throwing them in jail make them better citizens when released? Especially jail for going to a shooting range?

Yep. If all laws were enforced all the time roughly...100% of us would be criminals. Our system absolutely needs an overhaul. But of course the system is profitable only with a steady flow of people getting thrown into it. So that won't happen. The principle of criminal intent, that is to say, the actions one take are intended to be criminal, has been forgotten. No victim? No intent? Where is the crime? Of course the conclusion "there isn't one" isn't acceptable. That is why nearly anything you do can be a crime against the state. Full blown tyranny. It's here and now.

lol the law is stupid, but this guy is dumber...

[rofl]
According to the indictment and other statements made in court, Robinson travelled to New Hampshire in November 2014 and possessed an H&K 9mm pistol and ammunition manufactured by Fiocchi at a firing range in Manchester. At the time, Robinson was prohibited from possessing a firearm as a result of a prior felony conviction. Robinson subsequently posted videos and photographs of his operation of the rented firearm to social media websites."

[rofl]

The PP thing is sleazy though, judge peobably told him he cant own/have guns but probably said nothing about touching one.

- - - Updated - - -

He posted pics and videos of his activities on social websites; silly felon.

On top of this if he went to MFL and got a rental he lied on the rental form....

Sounds like bored ATF agent and AUSA inventing fake criminals because they're too lazy to catch someone who actually hurt someone else or stole shit from someone else.

Sounds like bored ATF agent and AUSA inventing fake criminals because they're too lazy to catch someone who actually hurt someone else or stole shit from someone else.

Real criminals can be dangerous and take hard work. Why take the risk? Not going to get paid more.

Didn't someone get caught doing this at Bob's Tactical some while back? PP goes to range, rents gun(s), posts pics to social media, is subsequently arrested?

This happened to an acquaintance of mine. He ex dimed him out. He didn't realize he wasn't allowed to touch a gun, so admitted what he had done to the feds.

Since the gun was a Smith & Wesson, and had never crossed state lines, they only charged him with possession of ammunition as a felon. He spent three years in Club Fed.

It mentioned he was already in prison serving a different sentence. So, a felon is back in prison and this charge is added. Makes me wonder if it's more like they couldn't nail the guy on everything they knew he did so found other charges that could stick. Not going to lose a lot of sleep over this one until I know more of the story..

That poor innocent guy!!?!?

Let me me google that for you. Let's see survey says MA judges are the most liberal out there and he's serving time for this? Clearly he's a shithead.

2010 shooting , selling heroin, selling more drugs while possessing and illegal firearm in 2013... You guys are right he's probably a good guy the state is making money off of.

http://m.capecodtimes.com/article/20100708/News/100709740

http://patch.com/massachusetts/barn...tts-man-indicted-illegal-firearm-possession-0

https://www.capecodtoday.com/article/2013/03/23/17826-Two-Hyannis-men-arrested-drug-and-gun-charges

I have a childhood friend that ran into another BS law that follows you. When he was 18 he did some stupid things. He served 1 year in jail.

Flash forward 10 years. He father passes away and leaves him a house and a modest inheritance. 9 months later the Connecticut State Dept. of Justice (or whatever) sends a letter saying he owes the state $40,000. Apparently he is liable to pay 50% of the cost of his incarceration. He talked to a lawyer and there is no way out. He paid out of the inheritance.

Sorry but I think that is not right. The man did some stupid things and paid for it already. This is double jeopardy IMHO. Sucks and should be changed.

I have a childhood friend that ran into another BS law that follows you. When he was 18 he did some stupid things. He served 1 year in jail.

Flash forward 10 years. He father passes away and leaves him a house and a modest inheritance. 9 months later the Connecticut State Dept. of Justice (or whatever) sends a letter saying he owes the state $40,000. Apparently he is liable to pay 50% of the cost of his incarceration. He talked to a lawyer and there is no way out. He paid out of the inheritance.

Sorry but I think that is not right. The man did some stupid things and paid for it already. This is double jeopardy IMHO. Sucks and should be changed.

Just Googled it and Connecticut can file a lien on any inheritances within 20 years of the person's release from incarceration.

That is insane and so completely unjust.

This is where estate planning can come into play. If he had been informed about this, his father could have set up a trust with conditions that make the money inaccessible to him except under certain conditions and perhaps not making any $$ available for 20 years. The nuances would depend on legal technicalities that a good CT estate planning lawyer would know.

But, for this to happen, he would have had to be informed of this at the time of sentencing (or, prior to copping a plea if that's how it went down).

This also shows the benefits of bequesting undocumented gold [smile]

Apparently he is liable to pay 50% of the cost of his incarceration.
Total cost, up to 50% of inheritance.

Last edited:
Just Googled it and Connecticut can file a lien on any inheritances within 20 years of the person's release from incarceration.

That is insane and so completely unjust.

Wow. That is just disgusting. Totally corrupt. Immoral. Unethical. Tyrannical.

So I need to ask my friends and loved ones if they've ever been convicted of a felony before I invite them to the range? What a conversation starter!

So I need to ask my friends and loved ones if they've ever been convicted of a felony before I invite them to the range? What a conversation starter!
Or state misdemeanor punishable by > 2 years. Might as well get their CORI since lots of people don't know the difference between a CWOF, placement on file, or conviction.

Lesson learned for me: I knew they couldn't own but it never occurred to me that they couldn't even touch one. Absurdity.

Back
Top Bottom