• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Leominster - Parking spot row leads to arrest

Source: Telegram.com

Parking spot row leads to arrest
Loaded gun results in charges

By Donna Boynton TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

LEOMINSTER A Third Street resident was arrested Wednesday night with a cocked and loaded .38-caliber revolver at his feet after a dispute over a parking space, and a second person from that neighborhood was arrested later in the night after attacking a neighbor with a butcher knife.

Police are unsure if the two incidents are connected, and are still investigating.

The first incident was reported to police at 6:24 p.m. when a person driving down Third Street saw a group of people arguing in the middle of the road and saw a firearm being displayed.

When police arrived they saw the gun fall to Jonathan Soto’s feet, said Lt. Michael D. Goldman. Lt. Goldman said the gun was loaded and the hammer was cocked.

Mr. Soto, 26, of 152 Third St., was arrested and charged with possession of a firearm without a license and possession of ammunition without a license.

Mr. Soto was later released on $200 cash bail.

Mr. Soto told police the fight was started by a dispute over a parking space between his brother and a neighbor, said Lt. Goldman.

Police returned to that area several hours later and arrested another man for allegedly attacking a neighbor with a butcher knife.

Police went to 148 Third St. at 11:09 p.m. and arrested Juan Zubiaga-Baez, 32, who lives on the first floor at that address.

According to police, Mr. Zubiaga-Baez was highly intoxicated and was allegedly breaking into another apartment in that building.

“He got into an altercation with another man and had armed himself with a butcher knife, and there was a wrestling match over the knife,” said Lt. Goldman.

Lt. Goldman said no one was injured.

Lt. Goldman said police are investigating whether the two incidents are related.

“Mr. Zubiaga-Baez was apparently involved in the earlier altercation,” said Lt. Goldman. “We are investigating to see if this may be a case of retaliation.”

Mr. Zubiaga-Baez was charged with breaking and entering in the nighttime, assault and batter and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (a knife).

Mr. Zubiaga-Baez was being held in lieu of $200 cash bail.

Leominster, nice [hmmm]

Mr. Soto, 26, of 152 Third St., was arrested and charged with possession of a firearm without a license and possession of ammunition without a license.
They forgot the "improper storage" charge.

The liberal judges in this state need to start being directly effected by the decisions that they make.

A bail commissioner not judge sets the bail.
Bail is not set to punish someone. It is set to ensure that the individual will return to court. The nature of the crime and past criminal history are taken into account when setting bail.
I do agree that $200 seems low.

A bail commissioner not judge sets the bail.
Bail is not set to punish someone. It is set to ensure that the individual will return to court. The nature of the crime and past criminal history are taken into account when setting bail.
I do agree that $200 seems low.
luckily he didnt have LTC,otherwise his bail would be much more...........[thinking]

Last edited:
Imbéciles

(Trying to work on my Spanish [smile].)

You sure you're not working on your French? I didn't know Spanish had an accent aigu mark over the "e".

Anyway... its a shame since Leominster isn't all that bad of a town. I blame its proximity to Fitchburg.

I begrudgingly bought my home here in Leominster a couple years ago. It always got a bad rep, and I'd bought into it growing up elsewhere. I have to say, it's a pretty damn cool place to live. I'm surrounded by woods, but minutes away from the grocery, a TC Lando's, and one of the best wine/liquor stores in north central mass.

Sure, there are crappy parts. But every city has them. The mayor (former PD, IIRC) does a hell of a job with what he has. We have relatively low property taxes but all the same town services as the surrounding $18+/$1000 burbs.

Plus, this town is as green as they come. I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with Leominster PD - the first being my LTC application process.

Leominister, Lowell, Lynn, Lawrence, Lousy..
Leominster, nice [hmmm]

Last edited:
You sure you're not working on your French? I didn't know Spanish had an accent aigu mark over the "e".
He is correct. Normally, words ending in consonants not n or s are pronounced with the accent on the last syllable. Imbecil is trisyllabic: Im-be-cil. But we all know from listening to correct pronunciation that the accent is on the second syllable. So to show the word's irregular pronunciation, the accent tilde is written over the vowel of the second syllable.

Here endedth the grammar lesson. [smile]

They forgot the "improper storage" charge.

And the charge for failure to complete an FA-10.

Anyway... its a shame since Leominster isn't all that bad of a town. I blame its proximity to Fitchburg.

Crime is crime, it happens everywhere, but Leominster is generally a pretty nice city, especially when compared to Fitchburg.

He is correct. Normally, words ending in consonants not n or s are pronounced with the accent on the last syllable. Imbecil is trisyllabic: Im-be-cil. But we all know from listening to correct pronunciation that the accent is on the second syllable. So to show the word's irregular pronunciation, the accent tilde is written over the vowel of the second syllable.

Here endedth the grammar lesson. [smile]

Were is the ''my head spun off my neck'' smiley?

Leominister, Lowell, Lynn, Lawrence, Lousy..

Leominster doesn't even come close to the other three towns you have listed. This story doesn't surprise me in the least considering the neighborhood. All of the number streets are a $hithole ghetto from what I understand. [thinking]

I begrudgingly bought my home here in Leominster a couple years ago. It always got a bad rep, and I'd bought into it growing up elsewhere. I have to say, it's a pretty damn cool place to live. I'm surrounded by woods, but minutes away from the grocery, a TC Lando's, and one of the best wine/liquor stores in north central mass.

Sure, there are crappy parts. But every city has them. The mayor (former PD, IIRC) does a hell of a job with what he has. We have relatively low property taxes but all the same town services as the surrounding $18+/$1000 burbs.

Plus, this town is as green as they come. I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with Leominster PD - the first being my LTC application process.

I love it here I just moved here as a renter and its been a great experience so far!

not surprised at all it happened in that area. either these types of incidents are increasing in number or the reporting on them is. what i am looking to see is more public outcry against the folks who are letting these types of scum out of the courtroom with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. if there is more reporting on these kinds of things it could certainly get people fired up about the hood rats causing problems in our city.

for the most part i will definitely agree that the city's police do a good job with what they have. they are reactive in cases like this and that's just how police departments work. with that said i am glad that the department supports our second amendment rights and makes it as painless as possible in MA to get licensed. they were very easy to work with, polite, and had no problem with a LTC-A.

hopefully more folks will be taking proactive steps (I.E. a LTC) to protect themselves and their families. if more of us will do this the less likely these hood rats will be to victimize the residents if they know that we are not all sheep and that we will not simply stand there and allow ourselves to be victimized.

The whole French Hill area went south about 15 years ago. Its sad, really. There used to be a lot of LEOs that lived in that area. But, times have changed.....I STILL cannot get over the fact that he was released on only $200 bail, for illegal posession of a firearm....it would be nice if we enforced the laws that we passed....

hopefully more folks will be taking proactive steps (I.E. a LTC) to protect themselves and their families. if more of us will do this the less likely these hood rats will be to victimize the residents if they know that we are not all sheep and that we will not simply stand there and allow ourselves to be victimized.

Its actually very surprising MANY of my liberal friends have come to me as of late to ask me how to get an LTC. I think its great and tell them as much info as possible. [smile]

L-Town

I grew up in Leominster and recently moved back....it's a safe city, but those numbered streets (like 3rd) are where a lot of our not so productive members of society live. We have a couple other bad spots, but the LPD is a good crew and they keep 'm pretty well contained.

Unfortunately we have Fitchburg next door.....Total dump. They have two, not one, but two friggin' methodone clinics in Fitchburg...the city of Boston only has one. I'm sure methodone is great stuff, but it tends to attract folks who don't want to do much aside from methodone.....oh yeah, and rob the few people who do work. The former mayor of Lowell is actually the mayor of Fitch-hole (local term) now. She did a lot of work to clean up Lowell and is now giving it a shot in the Dirty-burg (local term). Fitchburg is an unfortunate fissure on the anus of Leominster.

I am shocked to hear they let the guy out on $200 bail considering I've gotten traffic violations more expensive than that here. I do wonder if the fact that the name Soto is not rare to see in the arrest logs has something to do with it. He could be a regular customer. I'm not sure on the first name, but the last name of the alleged gun-toting bad-guy is not an uncommon site in these situations.

Just thought I would defend the ol' home town a bit considering it's one of the most productive and clean cities in the vicinity and in general a good city.

As a long time resident of Worcester, just the thought of Leominster and Fitchburg duking it out brings a smile to my face. See? ---> [grin]

Back
Top Bottom