• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO checking what guns you own just beacuse?

Is it legal for LEO to search what fire arms an individual owns just because he wants to know for his own personal reasons? Also if it is legal are they allowed to disclose that information with anyone on or off duty. This is a search being done under no investigation just strictly for personal use without the persons concent....

Thanks for the help and any links would be apreciated

I don't disclose what I own with everyone. I don't feel it's their right to search what I own or keep in my house and share that information with just anyone. I'm sure their are also LEOs out there who don't want their personal collection shared with everyone.

I doubt this would be legal. Cops can't just run your plates just because. Why should they be able to just check to see what guns you own? Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they do it.

How the the **** this is legal is beyond me...Someone with legal knowledge should be able to give a clear answer.

Hell no its not legal.....that is unless it is!!! But seriously within what curcumstances ? come to your house and ask you to open your safe ? I think not.

hkSONY996.jpg

hkSONY996.jpg

Because it shouldn't be any of their business ^^^^^^^^^^.

Last edited:
Is it legal for LEO to search what fire arms an individual owns

Are you talking about like at a traffic stop? That is what I assumed you meant

Some of you guys need to loosen the tin foil hats a bit.

OP it sounds like you want to keep your firearms ownership a secret. Why is that?

That would require some sort of firearm registry. We all know that FA-10s aren't to be used for that purpose. [/sarcasm]

Why not? Who the **** has the right to know? NO ONE!

To me that sounds like somebody is say a mountain biker, but doesn't want the public to know about his bike riding hobbits, where he rids, and doesn't want the local police to know about his extensive bicycle collection.

That sounds ridiculous right?

i have a right to privacy. If iv broken no laws and I am not under any type of investigation I don't understand how it's legal for a LEO to go to work and search what I own just for fun. My collection what or how many are in my collection is for me to know or disclose as I choose.

Maybe you should spènd some more time at the kids table and just watch the grownups for a while longer before you actually step out into the world and venture out on your own..You havent heard of the desire by gov for registration and then what comes next ? Anyone ? Thats right confiscation.

OP it sounds like you want to keep your firearms ownership a secret. Why is that?

The police are not your friends. Any discussion between you and a police officer should always be limited. Maybe the weather, the traffic, maybe "am I under arrest", "am I free to go".

Under no circumstances should anyone be telling police what they have in their house, regardless of whether it is firearms related or not. It isn't that is it just none of their business, it is none of anyone's business but your own.

I just want to know if any one with a badge in the state of Massachusetts can legally look up specifically which and how many firearms I own. Just for their own personal knowledge. Also if they are allowed to go around and disclose that information with anyone they choose.

Any LEOs want to chime in with what the response or reaction might be if the victim of such an event were to report it to the town PD? I would think the sharing part in particular would be an issue, but maybe it's seen and treated as no big deal in reality.

The answer is NO. A LEO cannot access the FRB database just for the fun of it or for his own knowledge. There needs to be a legitimate criminal justice purpose for any law agency to do so.

Therefore, based upon state law as cited above, the DCJIS will not disclose the names and addresses of those who possess firearms licenses or firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, or ammunition to ANY individual or entity. The only exception to this policy is that such information will be disclosed to law enforcement and criminal justice organizations and personnel when that data is sought for legitimate criminal justice purposes.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb...rms-licensees-and-firearms-owners-sept-13.pdf

I was in the office of a shift commander (social visit, friend of mine) when the dispatcher brought in a list of the guns the FRB thought I owned at the time because "he thought I would find it interesting".

So, there does not appear to be any need to certify to the FRB that the request is for official purposes - the fact that it is coming from an LE agency appears to be enough.

Similarly, my wife once got a call from a police officer who ran my plate because he wanted to find out where the good matches were at. (and yeah, I know I just ended a sentence with a preposition....so it be).

EVERYTHING I own is MY business! Why would YOU want ANYONE to know what you possess???

Last edited:
So I'm gonna say NO. It is not legal for anyone to take/read/view/peak... at information from the Criminal Justice Information System and use it for "personal" reasons. That would be a violation of said Information System.

Back
Top Bottom