• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO checking what guns you own just beacuse?

Ok I'll give the back story now that big LEO supporters are getting butthurt..... Basically my girlfriends younger fresh out of the academy BPD rookie took it upon him self to look up what guns I own and when I wasn't around start rattling them off at the dinner table to her and her family. Iv met this guy all of one time. I have a great repor with her family and no reason for any such search other than he wanted to try and act like a bad ass LEO

So he is using his position to "check you out" for personal reasons, not department. That is SO not legal. Probably ran a CORI on you too. I would be so pissed and all over this if it were me.

I would start with his chief and go UP from there with this. The suggestion of Firearm Record Bureau in Chelsea as well as Comm2A is also what I would do, this is a gross violation of your privacy at the very least, by the man, act like it!

I don't care how HOT she is, this twerp needs a smack down.

Last edited:
To me that sounds like somebody is say a mountain biker, but doesn't want the public to know about his bike riding hobbits, where he rids, and doesn't want the local police to know about his extensive bicycle collection.

That sounds ridiculous right?

Nope - sounds very reasonable actually.
My personal property is nobodies business but mine. I've got a license to drive. Does that give them permission to come over and demand to know how many cars I have, where I use them, what models they are, and how much gas I have for them?

I asked this question of a LEO. When they run your plate and the information comes back, they can then click on another spot and get the firearm information.

He told me that some officers feel reassured when they stop a gun owner. They know the person has had a background check, is not a felon, and generally law abiding.

I have recent experience with this- I was stopped for going way over the limit on rt 2.

SP asked "Know why I stopped you?"

ME: I was speeding (and admitted the speed to within 3 mph).

SP: When was your last speeding ticket?

ME: 2005.

SP: Correct. Do you drive for a living? You have a good driving record.

Blah blah blah- to make a long story short, it was more of polite conversation and he gave me a warning. LTC never even came up. I don't expect SP to act "nice", but this guy was.

Ok I'll give the back story now that big LEO supporters are getting butthurt..... Basically my girlfriends younger fresh out of the academy BPD rookie took it upon him self to look up what guns I own and when I wasn't around start rattling them off at the dinner table to her and her family. Iv met this guy all of one time. I have a great repor with her family and no reason for any such search other than he wanted to try and act like a bad ass LEO

I would sue boston pd. Hopefully they would fire this criminal from the force. He a rookie and already breaking the law? He is one of those people who should not be wearing a uniform

In this context, your first pass at settling this should be to sit down with the jerk over a beer, explain to him that what he did was unprofessional, unethical and in fact illegal. Tell him it gravely offends you and why.

Get a sense for what kind of person he is. If it seems this relationship will last, he may be your bil one day and you need to know now if he's just protecting his big sis or if he is a "problem".

If that settles it, great. Of not, you need to decide whether to proceed. If you do that, knock off one last piece with the gf first, because that will END the relationship.

So he is using his position to "check you out" for personal reasons, not department. That is SO not legal. Probably ran a CORI on you too. I would be so pissed and all over this if it were me.

I would start with his chief and go UP from there with this. The suggestion of Firearm Record Bureau in Chelsea as well as Comm2A is also what I would do, this is a gross violation of your privacy at the very least, by the man, act like it!

It would be a sad day for the Commonwealth if anonymous were to hack into the FA10 db and wipey wipey.... [rofl][banana]

You guys do realize that there isnt a whole lot LE can do once he/she accesses the records, right?
Example. Guy gets arrested for domestic A&B on his wife. His LTC is suspended by the licensing authority. The detective working the shift (me) gets tasked with rounding up the arresteds guns, and his Lt. tells him to get "the list" off of CJIS. Hapless detective prints up "the list" showing roughly 20 transactions over the years. Said detective then goes to the arresteds house to retrieve the guns, only to be told by the wife (our A&B victim) that sorry, there are no guns here saucifer.
End of story.
No SW was obtained, no dogs shot, no guns taken.
As far as Rob B goes, he had that officer that ran his info by the short hairs, and didnt pull the trigger, pun intended.

I'm surprised that a denial by the owner/spouse would mean end of story. NES conventional wisdom says a search warrant would be obtained and all your drywall would get smashed in until the cops were satisfied.

In this context, your first pass at settling this should be to sit down with the jerk over a beer, explain to him that what he did was unprofessional, unethical and in fact illegal. Tell him it gravely offends you and why.

Get a sense for what kind of person he is. If it seems this relationship will last, he may be your bil one day and you need to know now if he's just protecting his big sis or if he is a "problem".

If that settles it, great. Of not, you need to decide whether to proceed. If you do that, knock off one last piece with the gf first, because that will END the relationship.

You're absolutly right and that fact that he could become my BIL is the only reason I haven't gone buck wild calling his department and com2a. I'm def. going to sit him down and let him know it's not cool.

Nope - sounds very reasonable actually.
My personal property is nobodies business but mine. I've got a license to drive. Does that give them permission to come over and demand to know how many cars I have, where I use them, what models they are, and how much gas I have for them?

With guns and cars, nobody has to come to your house and demand anything. The information described is available in a computer somewhere. If somebody with the authority wants it, they will get it. I know this, you know this, I see no reason to hide or keep in secrecy any of it.

In the OPs updated situation, that authority was abused.

With guns and cars, nobody has to come to your house and demand anything. The information described is available in a computer somewhere. If somebody with the authority wants it, they will get it. I know this, you know this, I see no reason to hide or keep in secrecy any of it.

Updated situation or not our rights are our rights. You can disclose your personal information with any LEO you want but don't try and tell everyone they are paranoid and to give up our rights acting like its no big deal

I think SJan has guns buried on his property and he's really terrible at acting like he doesn't.

Call in the backhoes.

Just to put this in perspective...in the very State, near the very Community, where a war was started, fought, and won for the specific reason that authorities had knowledge of the possession of the People's arms and were acting on that knowledge, we are discussing the finer points of a different, arguably more oppressive, government performing unconstitutional actions (2nd and 4th) to the same end (ultimately disarmament), and seem to be content with that.

The irony...

Updated situation or not our rights are our rights. You can disclose your personal information with any LEO you want but don't try and tell everyone they are paranoid and to give up our rights acting like its no big deal

That's the thing. I don't see it as personal information. It just doesn't bother me that people know I own guns. I guess i'm in the minority here on this point.

Hello ....., If this can be proven beyond 'hearsay', he said she said, I would contact the Firearm Record Bureau in Chelsea, read them chapter and verse of the law and demand an explanation as to why he was given this information, do it in writing and send it by fax. retain the copy of fax. , and last but far from least contact the Comm2A lawyers with this story, they would pursue this, probably for free, you can find their link at the bottom of Gun Sense #13. This is a violation of the law, and I have no idea why a cop would do it......he needs legal justification, as in investigating a crime.......

Tell John Doe to line up his witnesses, get their statements.

Sincerely,
Mark Shean & Son
www.mafirearmsafety.com

Now I'm obviously not gunna put my girlfriends brother on blast and have him loose his job etc but I emailed a lawyer during this thread to see if they could clear it up and this is the email I received from the lawyer.

FRB knows the chapter/verse of the law. They give access to a PD, doing this isn't a officer joe calls FRB and says "hey, can you please give me a list of bob smith's guns" . . . it's all done by computer. There is tracking if the need arises, but FRB can't really do much against an officer who screws up.

BPD was mentioned and if that was either Boston or Brockton, there is enough corruption there so that a complaint is not likely to be acted upon at all. Thus my comment earlier about complaining to the DA and let them deal with it. Even if they choose not to prosecute, merely an inquiry from the DA is likely to get some brass' panties in a bunch over the behavior of an officer.

See above.

I would sue boston pd. Hopefully they would fire this criminal from the force. He a rookie and already breaking the law? He is one of those people who should not be wearing a uniform

If all you want is satisfaction, willing to spend 5 years in the court system along with $5-10K out of pocket for revenge, have at it. IMNSHO this is not the most effective way to deal with it.

I agree, this is probably the best approach to take.

I'm surprised that a denial by the owner/spouse would mean end of story. NES conventional wisdom says a search warrant would be obtained and all your drywall would get smashed in until the cops were satisfied.

I agree with Bill. I know of chiefs that have expressed that they would proceed with prosecution under MGL C. 269 S. 10 for failure to turn over the guns on the list and let the court sort it out. No idea how these end, but it would cost the person a lot of money and if he didn't hire COMPETENT counsel who KNOWS MA gun laws and how the FA-10 system works, he might well be forced to take a plea.

I think SJan has guns buried on his property and he's really terrible at acting like he doesn't.

Call in the backhoes.

Well that is one cheap way for SJan to get his property prepped for planting season! [It's an old joke.]

That's the thing. I don't see it as personal information. It just doesn't bother me that people know I own guns. I guess i'm in the minority here on this point.

Yes, you are in the minority. Some/most of us want to make the choice of who to tell and how.

you know what happened to think right? Think thought he was gunna fart but he shit himself.

The law says its illigal to look up my private information for recreation use if you will. Its private information.

any search of private containers (home/car trunk/gun vaults) would need a warrant. I am not giving any information about contents, unless they present a legal document citing a reason for the search.

If you cant see it from the street, its no one's business

They would actually have 'more' permission to check vehicles (in my example) because the drivers license/car registration is a privilege. Incorrectly, a firearms license is also treated that way.

If I didn't want anyone to know how many mountain bikes I had, that's my choice for whatever reasons I have. As long as the legal-to-own item is used legally, and there is no suspicion of said item(s) being used in a crime, a physical search is unwarranted.

I agree with your conclusion on the OPs updated situation but, I don't agree with your premise of 'just because there might be a record somewhere' there is no longer a right to privacy.
That's my only point.

... If I didn't want anyone to know how many mountain bikes I had, that's my choice for whatever reasons I have. As long as the legal-to-own item is used legally, and there is no suspicion of said item(s) being used in a crime, a physical search is unwarranted. ...

I know a guy that has a bicycle he spent around $6k on.

I think HE has a pretty good reason not to share that as general knowledge.

(I bought my bike for around $150 from, if memory serves, the Bicycle Barn(?) something like 20 years ago)

Do you all believe that every legal gun owner in the state has every gun in his possession, in the State's data base?

Beyond the records destroyed by flooding, there is a possibility that others may not be listed. Look at the guns collected in buybacks. Some have been in families for many, many years.

My guess is a lot guns in good shape don't get turned into Walmart gift cards.

I know a guy that has a bicycle he spent around $6k on.

I think HE has a pretty good reason not to share that as general knowledge.

Exactly!

As a funny/coincidental side note: I have a friend with a 8k dollar bike. I've got a pic from a trip we all took and the 'bike pile' in the condo was worth north of 40K. We didn't blab that around the mountain.

-geting off topic tho - apologies.

He was probably just checking to make sure you weren't a rapist or diddler for his sister. It's not legal really as it's technically an abuse of the system, but every cop in America with a sister or daughter has done it.

OP - when you sit down with this young cop, tell him that this BS ends here and now, or you'll go after his badge. Tell him he broke the law, show him the relevant mgl citations and tell him you have access to lawyers that would love to chew him up and spit him out. He sounds like he's trying to be Mr. Big. Now's the time to set some limits.

OP - when you sit down with this young cop, tell him that this BS ends here and now, or you'll go after his badge. Tell him he broke the law, show him the relevant mgl citations and tell him you have access to lawyers that would love to chew him up and spit him out. He sounds like he's trying to be Mr. Big. Now's the time to set some limits.

I basically agree with this approach.

I would also tell him that you are not going after his badge because he us your girlfriends brother but that his next actions/words may change your mind.

I would also tell him that you are not going after his badge because he us your girlfriends brother but that his next actions/words may change your mind.

I would be concerned about threats being used against OP in determining him "unsuitable" at next renewal.

I would be concerned about threats being used against OP in determining him "unsuitable" at next renewal.

Then the answer is easy, don't talk to him and just go after his badge. Any way you look at it any talk about this with him can be looked as a threat in the wrong eyes.

Back
Top Bottom