Legislative Alert - Sound Suppressor Bill Hearing July 14

I'm good friends with mirra's son , I'm pretty sure he's telling his dad to vote yes to pass the bill.

I would expect so, he's a friend of the 2nd Amendment. When I sent out tons of emails last year during the run up to the gun bill vote he was one of a very small number of legislators to respond to me at all and I think the only one to respond himself. We corresponded back and forth a bunch of times during that process and I ended up asking him for a lawn sign as he was up for re-election so I got to meet him when he personally delivered it to my lawn. It's a complete travesty that he is the far and away exception in how legislators behave in Mass. The only other legislator who was as receptive, though through an intermediary, has been Senator Tarr and his staff still send me notification of important goings on at the state house.

I agree with your assessment of how the AG would likely act.

Also unlike the BATFE, who has technical people that actually know which end the bullets come out, MA has no such expertise. Having recently seen what a veteran MSP Trooper/Ballistics "ex-spurt" had for a resume wrt firearms expertise (he visited a dozen or so factories) and what he wrote and testified to wrt a low-capacity gun/mag/clip (yes the SKS has both) being large-capacity, I would have less than 0% faith in their reviewing any suppressor against the AWB!

Can always get a revolver with a suppressor, bolt action rifle, etc... Those should be compliant.. I've got a few pre-ban ARs that would promptly get one of these if it becomes legal.

Can always get a revolver with a suppressor, bolt action rifle, etc... Those should be compliant.. I've got a few pre-ban ARs that would promptly get one of these if it becomes legal.
Most semi auto handguns would be fine too as they can have a threaded barrel as their 1 permitted feature.

Unless it changed magically, it's 1 killy feature allowed.

Handguns/Pistols:
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistolgrip;
(ii) a threadedbarrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barreland that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

And I don't think a single handgun I own would qualify any of those features so that threaded barrel wouldn't be an issue.

Just as a baseline, a Glock 34 weighs 26 oz & a SIG 226 weighs 35 oz.

Last edited:
And I don't think a single handgun I own would qualify any of those features so that threaded barrel wouldn't be an issue.

Just as a baseline, a Glock 34 weighs 26 oz & a SIG 226 weighs 35 oz.

It's mainly stupid heavy stuff like maybe 50ae for hand guns . But it's mainly stuff like mp5 ar15 pistols tech nines , mac10 etc .

It's mainly stupid heavy stuff like maybe 50ae for hand guns . But it's mainly stuff like mp5 ar15 pistols tech nines , mac10 etc .

So other than maybe a hand cannon, stuff that generally gets SBR'd in this state not your average handgun.

This portion of the AWB is more about why we can't have AR pistols than threaded barrels on Glocks & SIGs.

Do they allow audio/ visual aids at these thing?
You know most of these morons gun knowledge comes from movies.
Suppressor = reduced noise to little mouse fart " Blip".

If the legislation isn't written correctly and the existing MGL corrected as a result we will end up with another huge grey area akin to SBR's. I believe this is what Login is fretting about.

When was the last time a flash suppressor violation was prosecuted? Has one ever been? If the law isn't enforced it loses its efficacy.

Me?... I never fret, especially over something that is highly unlikely to pass. [wink]

However, assuming...

A) Silencers will be allowed in this state.

B) The MA AWB stays in place as currently written

C) Isn't even an assumption... a silencer is very much a flash suppressor.

D) Fact... neither the state or 94 federal AWB (which MA laws mirrors), defines what a flash suppressor is or isn't.

I don't see anyway one could legally put a silencer on a post ban "assault rifle".

As to whether or not anyone has ever been prosecuted over a flash suppressor as a stand alone violation doesn't mean it can't happen, or put another
way... who amongst is willing to be the test case?

I'm as pro 2A as as they come, but even I have to acknowledge and concede there's only so much we can accomplish in this shithole.

I just hope the even more hardcore don't throw a monkey wrench into the works by demanding any relief on the possession of silencers
also includes being able to use them on their 'evil black rifles'.

I agree with your assessment of how the AG would likely act.

Also unlike the BATFE, who has technical people that actually know which end the bullets come out, MA has no such expertise. Having recently seen what a veteran MSP Trooper/Ballistics "ex-spurt" had for a resume wrt firearms expertise (he visited a dozen or so factories) and what he wrote and testified to wrt a low-capacity gun/mag/clip (yes the SKS has both) being large-capacity, I would have less than 0% faith in their reviewing any suppressor against the AWB!

Not so coincidentally, 5 of the 7 states that presently prohibit suppressors also have an AWB in place (MA, CA, HI, NY, NJ).

MD and CT have an AWB, but allow sound suppressors, and both also list 'flash suppressors' as an "evil feature".

Not knowing any other details of either states AWB laws, I'd be curious how both of those states deal with the dilemma?

It's possible, but highly unlikely an exemption was made, it's even more unlikely Healy would make an exemption.

I can hear it now...

'CAN YOU BELIEVE THE AUDACITY OF THESE GUN NUTS?!? NOT ONLY DO THEY WANT SILENCERS, THEY ALSO WANT SILENCERS FOR THEIR
MACHINE GUNS!!!!.

Not for nothing but putting a suppressor on a .223 AR is one of the silliest things you could do. In order for the suppressor to be effective that bullet needs to stay subsonic. That means your big bad evil black rifle now shoots a .223 caliber projectile slower than a .22 cal handgun. Not only that but you will never get consistent cycling of the bolt bc there just isn't enough gas to work it.

.300blk is a different story entirely as that round was basically designed to be shot suppressed.

I would love to put a suppressor on my AR9mm SBR though because with 147 gr bullets that would be simply awesome.

We have gone round & round on this debate before.

Well you have to phrase the article in a national context. Even in higher crime areas with less gun control murders with legal suppressed firearms don't exist. I did some quick googling, and I compiled a preliminary list of all the homicides I could find
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ARoZxNbE4HxQlvYcHTmc59Os89R-CHGnsuMTLTEqIP0/edit?usp=sharing

Shit even Mother Jones couldn't find a single murder to prop up this article, just wild speculation and ad hominem attacks.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics...s-states-legalize-silencers-supressors?page=2

But I mean it still happens. With either home made stuff, stolen or purchased by proxy. This case study does a pretty good examination of the issue.
https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/files/2015/02/Silencer-caselaw.pdf

In it they find that from the 153 total cases from 1997-2007 that involved a suppressor, only 2% of those cases involved a suppressor used in the commission of a violent crime. Most of the crimes involving suppressor were from drug war and RICO stuff; organized gangs that can get around legislation. Good read, would recommend if you want something to chew on for a bit.

Not for nothing but putting a suppressor on a .223 AR is one of the silliest things you could do. In order for the suppressor to be effective that bullet needs to stay subsonic. That means your big bad evil black rifle now shoots a .223 caliber projectile slower than a .22 cal handgun. Not only that but you will never get consistent cycling of the bolt bc there just isn't enough gas to work it.

.300blk is a different story entirely as that round was basically designed to be shot suppressed.

I would love to put a suppressor on my AR9mm SBR though because with 147 gr bullets that would be simply awesome.

Don't disagree with your logic, but isn't the MK12 suppressed?

Edit: Or are you just talking about in order to make the suppressor really work?

Last edited:
But when it comes to a vote even our best, most factually based evidence will not matter. The vote will go exactly along party lines. Remember that the people up there are politicians, and the only thing that matters to them more than the safety and well being of their constituents is their chances of being reelected. The R's will vote yes and the D's will make no effort to educate themselves on the topic and vote no. Prove me wrong. (please please please do.)

Don't disagree with your logic, but isn't the MK12 suppressed?

Edit: Or are you just talking about in order to make the suppressor really work?

For it to be truly effective you need to get rid of the sonic boom/crack. Otherwise it's just slightly muffled & you can hide the flash a bit better.

A bullet does not have to be subsonic for a suppressor to be effective. Have you ever heard a suppressed supersonic rifle round? Sure, it isn't like a bb gun, but it is clearly quieter than a rifle that isn't suppressed.

I will be there and i will record it like i had for last August's H4121 and the Lowell city council meeting this past whenever (ltc restriction meeting).

- - - Updated - - -

ayyy

I'll tell dad to check his inbox. Also if he votes no he's getting shit for Christmas.
Well even if you cant make it at least you have an "in" with one vote lol

A bullet does not have to be subsonic for a suppressor to be effective. Have you ever heard a suppressed supersonic rifle round? Sure, it isn't like a bb gun, but it is clearly quieter than a rifle that isn't suppressed.

From Advanced Armament (maker of some of the best rifle suppressors on the market):

18) Does ammunition choice affect sound output? What are subsonic rounds?
Subsonic” means that when the projectile leaves the barrel of the firearm, it is traveling under the speed of sound, which is approximately 1050fps.

Rounds traveling over 1050fps will break the sound barrier, creating a sonic crack that typically will be louder than the suppressed gunshot.

Back
Top Bottom