legality/ethicality of shooting coyote with paintball/bb in MA

Camo, and a K-bar. Take him out silently

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Thy will come right up to you if you don't try to scare them off. Their instinct is to get you on the ground. Gotta get close to do that. I've had one at my feet, trying to get to my leashed beagle.

Few things that can go wrong.
For one pellet guns and paintball guns are "load" in the quiet night or day.
Also if you get hung up trying to shoot a coyote with a paintball or BB gun "cruel and unusual punishment" might be the charge of choice?
.177 cal pellets gun unless you go into the ear and hit that tiny tiny brain will only piss a coyote off.
Oh and m pretty sure you need a hunting license for coyote and they have open and closed season.
Theres a lot going on with varmints. Carry and if they get close defend yourself.

Wow, started this thread 7 years ago, good to see it found. In that time, coyote issue still hasn't changed. Sometimes see them just crossing the street in daylight.

However, a few years ago at the 4th of July parade while walking to town I struck up a convo with one of the POs doing traffic. "Say, hypothetically, if someone were to shoot a coyote with a paintball gun, would there be anything wrong with that?". His response, "hypothetically, you should miss and scare it off, otherwise it's potentially cruelty to animals".

My goal was to try to just let yotes know this territory isn't safe for them, go to a different spot. So a paintball gun would do that, those things sting like mad, but would be better to use a paintball that doesn't make a color, just stings. Don't know if they make non exploding paintballs;-)

Our dog is now 16, she doesn't go far from the house, 10'.
Mark your teritory, piss all over your yard.

Thanks!

Shotguns: Only shot sizes up to and including FF (.230 inches diameter). Slugs, single balls and buckshot may only be used during the shotgun deer season.

Rifles and handguns:
-Daytime hunting: During the period from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset, there are no restrictions on size or caliber of rifles or handguns.

-Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.

Few things that can go wrong.
Another thing that could go wrong, someone mistakes your paint ball gun for a real gun and calls the police.

That being said, I think the best solution is a paint ball gun with the clear paint balls that SERE posted.

Back
Top Bottom