legality/ethicality of shooting coyote with paintball/bb in MA

I am in a very populated suburb and have 2 small dogs under 20lbs. We have seen a coyote in our backyard, in our frontyard.

we have a trolley run in the backyard that we used to use, but now we go outside with an airhorn and golf club when hooking the dogs up.

We have also started walking them on the street, and have seen the coyote at night not far from us.

There is a strip of conservation land behind the houses that runs the length of the block, and some more across the street where I am thinking this coyote lives.

I would like to scare it off so it stops thinking my pets are potential snacks. Was wondering about taking a paintball gun with me when I walk the dogs, or even if I see it at night. Same with a bb pistol I have (450 fps, so this will inflict damage). I don't want a wounded coyote, nor do I know what is legal. Was wondering some have advice for MA residents as what can be done, and what might work. Thanks.

Not going to hurt anything with a paintball, unless maybe you hit him in the eyes. Too bad you can't get ones that glow at night so you could spot him again in the future. I say shoot away.

paintballs sting quite a bit. my hope was that he doesn't come to this area if he were to be hit with a few of them.

5.56 means that i lose my license forever. that is not my goal, though it would solve the coyote problem.

Can civilians buy the pepper balls? Not only would it physically sting the yote, the pepper would really make him associate pain with your property.

Last edited:
Call animal control and tell them the animal is threatening you and you would like it removed, you have small animals and there are small children in the area.

Then get one of these

http://www.airgundepot.com/hatsan-at44pa-10-shot-pcp-22-caliber-air-rifle.html

and kill the bastard. Go for a head shot, shouldn't be to hard. No one will hear the shot.

Nice. Though that costs more than my SW 15-22 AR;-).

Was at walmart today looking at airguns. The BB/.177 in rifle for about $100 w a scope that shoot at about 900 fps. That is pretty close to the speed of a 22lr, not quite the same mass however. Would imagine it would do some damage, they have hollow point .177 pellets that expand. But really don't want a wounded yote, probably more dangerous.

As to the suggestion to call animal control, they respond in like 4hrs to 48 hours. They would need to get there within a few minutes...

Can civilians buy the pepper balls? Not only would it physically sting the yote, the pepper would really make him associate pain with your property.

Not sure, but its a good idea, played paintball with a guy whos dad worked for a sheriffs department and got some pepperballs and was using those. He was unpleasantly shown to his car never to return [thinking][laugh]

hang one of these 4 feet off the ground and put a nice hunk of meat through it and near the top of it. Hang it at night. Wake up in the morning and you'll hopefully see him after he tried to jump up for the meat.

hand_held_hook_shadow.jpg

22 with a silencer, Done

Except in Mass, a suppressor is illegal. Someone said to use a bow or crossbow. That is your silent weapon of choice for killing the yote. If you don't want to kill then a paintball gun is your only option as it will leave no blood and therefore no real evidence you hurt the thing. And someone posted the law that allows you to kill the thing so using a bow/crossbow is a no-brainer.

I'm far from an expert, but I don't think an air gun will be very effective against a coyote....you only get one shot and I doubt its going to be a kill shot unless you're a really great shot. I would not trust any FPS ratings on an air gun sold at Walmart either.

Was at walmart today looking at airguns. The BB/.177 in rifle for about $100 w a scope that shoot at about 900 fps. That is pretty close to the speed of a 22lr, not quite the same mass however. Would imagine it would do some damage, they have hollow point .177 pellets that expand. But really don't want a wounded yote, probably more dangerous.

I had a paintball gun with me once while walking my dogs. A coyote made a run on them, and after shooting a few paintballs at it, the coyote turned tail real quick. I guess he wasn't too hungry

22 short is not much louder than a pellet gun. My son and I shoot them all the time through his Golden Boy. Don't even need hearing protection.

Theoretically it could kill a Yote, but I think it would take a lucky shot or several follow up shots. The Golden Boy will hold 21 of them. [grin]

Within 500 feet of a dwelling it is a no no, unless you have permission

My buddy over the wall told me about this same problem last night. Apparently they saw 2 coyotes in their back yard last night. Without really knowing everything, I told him possibly a high powered air rifle and shovel, or poison meat trap, shovel, hush.

I know that the poison trap would probably be illegal, but my grandparents generation wouldn't have had to ask permission so I say go for it.

Also far cheaper than that air rifle that was posted! Maybe not legal fees associated with getting caught[wink]

Last edited:

Poison not good unless you know only they would eat it. Too many other things potentially eat it and it goes thru food chain killing everything. Don't want the neighbor's cat dying from me...

Two years ago my neighbor on an adjacent street asked me to help him with his coyote problem. He had three to four that came in to his yard every day and night. He wanted to tell his neighbors we were going to shoot them but I told him not to, because once you announce it they own you. I had him pick up some cherry bombs and firecrackers. I came down just before dusk, shot the first yote with ( don't laugh ) my .30-06 because it was that or a .22, then right away had him light a pack of firecrackers. Of course the neighbors came running out, and when one said " that was louder than a firecracker" out comes the cherry bomb. He then says"oh, okay" the other coyotes took off and so far he hasn't heard a thing from them. Worked for us, but you know the people and the safety issues better than I do. I had a very safe backdrop to shoot into and shot from an elevation. Good luck!

If the coyotes are bothering you then they are probably bothering your neighbors too. How about a visit to everyone with a house within 500ft of yours and explain to them that animal control is useless and you want their permission to shoot the coyote when it comes. Then visit your local PD and explain the situation to them and that you have neighbor permission to shoot the thing. They will probably tell you to call on the non emergency line if you take a shot so they won't send someone out if a call comes in.

EDIT: make sure to take the shot at least 150ft from the road to be within MA law. Written permission from neighbors might be good too just as a CYA.

A) Everything is illegal in MA* and I am betting that JWPAolli knows of a reg/law or two that covers shooting wildlife with a paintball marker.
B) That means will you need to judge what the typical EPO/Moonbat neighbor/cop will think if they see a coyote with a paint spot. Yup, they will make the shooter's life miserable. YMMV.

More yapping short legged lap laying shit producers need to die before the liberals will admit that maybe wildlife management is a good thing. But you can bet that means only professionals are trained enough to hunt.

* No, really, I am convinced everything is illegal in MA to some extent or another. We have ~2200 laws, ~700 of which are felonies and about ~1500 of which are misdemeanors. Just think about that.

Back
Top Bottom