legalaity of mag extensions

There's no right answer here. Most of the time if a cop can't jam a magazine with more than ten rounds that's the end of the equation.

Except for the cops breaking the fixed mag AR in Dedham I've never heard of a more vigorous effort to screw over a person.

I know you do. But that's the point. When we as gun owners adopt the repressive language of high capacity I think that we lose.
I agree. I was going on a tangent, and apparently was unclear. I was using standard capacity to mean the full, design capacity.

My point was that IFF an individual thinks that they want to have some extensions on hand "for the apocalypse" AND they think that would count as "constructive possession," then they might as well squirrel away a couple standard capacity magazines instead.

Since this starts with the assumption that said person is doing something illegal, and I'm definitionally not qualified to give advice on such topics, this is really just keyboard bravado on my part.

There's no right answer here. Most of the time if a cop can't jam a magazine with more than ten rounds that's the end of the equation.

Except for the cops breaking the fixed mag AR in Dedham I've never heard of a more vigorous effort to screw over a person.
Well the Norfolk Superior Ct case I testified at, the prosecution had a 15-yr veteran state police ballistics "ex-spurt" testify (written and oral) that a standard Norinco SKS held 11 rds in the internal mag and 11 rds in the clips to feed it!! I was able to refute that testimony with a US Army Training Circular on the SKS from 1969, however the ADA and arresting officer were trying hard to jam up this guy with large capacity gun and feeding device charges. Thankfully the judge was able to see thru their bullshit and throw out those charges.

I think the drawback of a 10 round mag with the appearance of a 11+ round mag (i.e., one with an internal block, even permanently installed) is that if you are carrying it and get stopped for a broken tail light, the cop takes your gun and examines the mag (and I guess with or without trying to load more than 10 rounds in it), you could be arrested for having a LCFD. That is a low-likelihood chain of events, but there have been recent threads where someone was jammed up and got to spend their life savings getting out of "LCFD possession" when the LCFD in question was a 100% legal pre-ban, so it stands to reason this could happen in the case I just described.

I think the drawback of a 10 round mag with the appearance of a 11+ round mag (i.e., one with an internal block, even permanently installed) is that if you are carrying it and get stopped for a broken tail light, the cop takes your gun and examines the mag (and I guess with or without trying to load more than 10 rounds in it), you could be arrested for having a LCFD. That is a low-likelihood chain of events, but there have been recent threads where someone was jammed up and got to spend their life savings getting out of "LCFD possession" when the LCFD in question was a 100% legal pre-ban, so it stands to reason this could happen in the case I just described.
Well any ltc holder has the right to carry a so called large capacity feeding device. It says so right on the license.

Well any ltc holder has the right to carry a so called large capacity feeding device. It says so right on the license.

Yeah, but you can and will still get arrested for doing so by ignorant police (i.e. carrying a legal pre-ban) and will have to spend 10k+ to "prove" your innocence. I saw someone recently posted that a person was stopped for potential OUI in MA, the cops checked his gun and he had a legal pre-ban, he was arrested and had to hire a lawyer etc. OUI was dropped and he ended up with just the mag charge IIRC, which was also eventually dropped but after great trouble and expense. Of course I can't find the thread now, but it was recent.

Yeah, but you can and will still get arrested for doing so by ignorant police (i.e. carrying a legal pre-ban) and will have to spend 10k+ to "prove" your innocence. I saw someone recently posted that a person was stopped for potential OUI in MA, the cops checked his gun and he had a legal pre-ban, he was arrested and had to hire a lawyer etc. OUI was dropped and he ended up with just the mag charge IIRC, which was also eventually dropped but after great trouble and expense. Of course I can't find the thread now, but it was recent.
Lol if anti gun cops are examining your mags you're going for a ride and paying an attorney one way or another. They will invent something. There is no punishment for them stacking garbage on you. The benefits of "running a clean ship" are only realized later when your attorney gets to embarass them.

Yeah that was my post.

Back
Top Bottom