Leaving a gun in a car?

3. Can I leave my gun in my car if I need to go into the store on my way home from the range or from hunting?

A: If your handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun is transported in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, §131C (i.e. unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container) then the gun may be left unattended in the vehicle. Weapons transported in this manner will automatically be considered "stored or kept" in compliance with the safe storage requirements of §131L.
A person leaving a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun in an unattended vehicle is required to lock the rifle or shotgun in a case/container or in the trunk, or install a mechanical locking device on the weapon (i.e. cable or trigger lock).

This is from the AG's web site. I didn't think this was allowed.

Is it legal to leave a gun in your car during the day while you're at work?

Matt

Yes.

I have done it before in both MA and RI (spoke to an investigator from the state police with the AGs office). However you need to take into consideration where your car is, how visible the weapons are and if you really want to deal with the hassle in the event they are stolen from your vehicle.

One of the few upsides of the Mass Gun Control Act of 1998 is that you can leave a weapon secured, locked, unloaded in your trunk. However, if the gun gets stolen, you may be deemed as "not a suitable person" by your chief and have your LTC revoked.

Circumstances and situations, I think, can determine how prudent it is to lock your gun in your vehicle. If you have a 'sport and target" LTC and you secure your weapon unloaded in a locked container in your locked trunk when you leave the range, and on the way home stop at the local convenience store to buy milk or rolling papers (just kidding there) you will probably have no problem whatsoever. On the other hand if you are spending the day in Boston and decide to park your car somewhere on Washington Street, you might have a big problem.

Let your own good judgement prevail.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom