LC9s slide difficult for her to rack...Better option for wife?

GlockJock

NES Member
My wife carries the Ruger LC9s, loves it, shoots it well, easy carry etc.. but...she's dealing with some arthritis that has set into her "getting older" hands (oh well there goes dinner if she reads this, but there's a good sub shop down the road)..
But in seriousness, she's suddenly having a very difficult time with racking the slide, locking it back etc.. Gun is perfect, 2 years old extremely well maintained, cerakoted etc. Works flawlessly, but she's suddenly having a much more difficult time with it than ever before...
I carry Glocks almost exclusively, so I'm probably the last person for her to ask advice from, so I figured I'd ask here. Which automatics do the ladies/wives/girlfriends here carry that might have easier slides to rack?

Any options/thoughts/advice appreciated...(I'm the king of sarcastic replies so I expect a fair share, but hopefully some advice also [emoji6])

From my understanding most of those sub-compact 9s will have a fairly stiff spring because the mass of the slide is so low.
How does she carry? If it is in a purse or hand bag where there is some room, maybe there is some type of modification or attachment for the slide out there that will give her a better grip and easier time with manipulation. Just thinking out loud.

If she and you don't mind stepping down to a .380, the Sig p238 is a real easy slide to rack. Some people don't like cocked and locked carry though.

She could try racking it at the LGS. It's even easier if you cock the hammer before racking it.

Last edited:
The Walther CCP is easier to rack. It has a lighter spring for return, making up the difference with the gas system. There is plenty of dislike for the CCP, though, among those who own them.

I have a bodyguard that I have trouble with for the same reason, arthritis. Bought a Sig P938 which is much easier to rack and shoot with the single action.

Have her try a Walther PK380....easiest slide to rack available on a semi auto, decent size for shooting performance, and because they aren't very popular you can get a used deal on one pretty reasonably. If you're worried about .380, get some Buffalo Bore and you'll essentially have a 9MM....

Have her try a Walther PK380....easiest slide to rack available on a semi auto, decent size for shooting performance, and because they aren't very popular you can get a used deal on one pretty reasonably. If you're worried about .380, get some Buffalo Bore and you'll essentially have a 9MM....

[popcorn]so.... .380=9MM ??

to the OP, it she'd like to try my non M&P BG380, which has a worn-in spring and is WAY easier to rack than when it was new, let me know.

it's not a 50 foot gun....ever.

The PK380 is a terrible gun, especially for an inexperience shooter, if you ask me.
I was at the range last week and there was a middle age woman shooting a PK380 in the stall next to me. She was having jams, failures to extract and light primer strikes in every single magazine.
She asked me to look at the weapon. I thought she might be limp wristing but I had the same problems.
That was the first time I had ever handled one and it felt nice in the hand and the slide was REALLY easy to rack.
However the rest of the gun is crap and controls are dumb:
-a trigger guard mag release
-a slide safety that is not a decocker and that you have to pull the trigger to decock.
-no slide stop, which is not great for clearing malfunctions.

A carry gun for a less experience shooter should be idiot proof and logically designed. This gun is not.

OP - have you considered a revolver? Sounds like a J frame S&W or a Ruger LCR are probably the ticket for your wife. 38 spl can be found in loadings that vary in power from 380 to 9mm and no slide to worry about.

another vote for the PPS M2. i think the slide is relatively easy compared to some others and i shoot it about as well as my VP9 and G19.

Don't dump the LC9s until you try grip tape. ArachniGrip Slide Spider looks good. It fits in the slide's groves plus has a patch on top.

With arthritis, the problem is often that squeezing the slide firmly enough to get traction hurts. Sandpaper type grip tape fixes that problem.

I have an LC9s. That slide is so small, and my hands are big enough that to guarantee a dud won't bounce off my hand and back into the port, I have to backhand(palm & fingers) rack it with 3 fingers(pinky, ring and social finger). Its spring is as strong as my 5" .45 and with 3 fingers on that little slide, if my hands are sweaty or I just oiled the gun, I didn't feel I had a solid grip. I spent an hour one day cutting skateboard tape into tiny strips and gluing them into the slide's groves. That made a BIG, BIG difference. The ArachniGrip tape is precision cut so it should be a 5 min installation.

Also, find some youtubes on racking guns for women. Technique makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Would she be ok with a revolver, like an LCR?

My mother ended up going this route.

I took her to the LGS and after trying all the other options in semi they had I got her to look at revolvers, she loves her new pistol. Her biggest concern was staying with 9mm so not to waste all of the 350 rounds she has. [rofl2]

The thing about arthritis it gets worse not better.If you can't find a semi that works for Her,then you might want to try a revolver with a light trigger job done to it.

Back
Top Bottom