Layoffs at Savage Arms.....

Makes sense considering they got acquired last year - this tends to happen.

Also, since the initial buying rush of Obama scare is over, all of the extra hired help is no longer needed since the demand leveled off. It still sucks for the people losing their jobs.

From the comments:
Good, they are nothing but a manufacturers of death tools. Would be glad to see them shut down. This nation doesn't need any more guns what so ever. And the employees should be ashamed of themselves for helping make such a filthy tool that has caused nothing but deaths.]

not that Savage makes 'assault weapons', but the entire industry is going to take a back to normal hit [thinking]

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/09/news/companies/assault-weapon-sales/

Firearms retailers couldn't keep their shelves stocked in 2012 and 2013.

But "that's done now," says Kielbasa. "From what I see in the industry right now, it's back to normal."

Many rifle manufacturers ramped up production last year in response to the sales spike, said Rommel Dionisio, industry analyst for Wedbush Securities. But demand has since stagnated, he said, and there's now a glut of gun inventory,

Give it an other year, the GOP will float an other Romeny and let Hilary win, then we will do what we always do and run around like *******s buying up every God damned thing in the industry again.

I guess if they'd go into the AR business, and put out a decent AR in .308, or even .300WM, they'd be golden. AR 10s are the latest craze, and they would benefit from their reputation for outstanding accuracy.

Can't sell guns if there isn't any ammo. I can't understand why someone isn't stepping up and starting a new ammo factory, especially in 22. The demand is there and with all the new shooters it should remain strong.

Can't sell guns if there isn't any ammo. I can't understand why someone isn't stepping up and starting a new ammo factory, especially in 22. The demand is there and with all the new shooters it should remain strong.

And how long does it take to get all the requisite permits, how long to get the machinery made (I doubt there's ammunition maker-makers with inventory just sitting around), how long to find a competent workforce, etc. etc.?

Apparently manufacturing rimfire is batshit complicated and expensive (from a standpoint of mfg ammo, by expensive I mean it isn't as profitable as compared to anything else). Then you are absolutely required to compete on price, not performance because .22 rim is a "disposable" caliber.

The incentive isn't really there. Well.. it is, but it isn't. To set up a whole new mfg line for .22 rim is a massive undertaking with the risk that it will not be profitable in a year.

Personally I disagree with everything I just typed, but I don't have 5 million dollars to set up a rimfire line.

Back
Top Bottom