• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Law on inheritance of a firearm

Hello all I did a search on this topic but it didn't really answer my question and that post was back from 2006. If need be please move this post sorry I'm a noob. Recently while doing some cleaning my grandmother found my grandfathers old shotgun. She said it must have been sitting there for 25 years or so untouched. As far as we know his brother gave it to him in the 60's and that my grandfather did not have an fid or ltc and we don't have any papers for it. My grandfather passed away back in 2001, is there anyway for me to inherit the firearm or does she have to hand it over to the local PD. I have a LTC A and live in the same state that the firearm is in. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
my girlfriend and I just rencently did the same thing with her dads shotguns. you can FFL them. you can bring the gun to the FFL of your choice, all you need in additin to the gun is your grandmothers full name and current address. in our case we just photocopied her mothers drivers license. they log in the firearm and an FFL fee later you own the shotgun

Thanks for the info guys. After doing some more searching I found some answers to my questions. Typical noob sorry.... now to find a FFL in south eastern mass. I figure I'd go to C&F in middleborough.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a FFL in south eastern MA, I don't mind taking a drive either, maybe a member here that would be willing to do a transfer for me. I called 2 places and they said they wouldn't do it, the reason that they wouldn't do it is because there is no way of telling if the firearm belonged to my grandfather or the guy down the street. I am going to try C&F today when I get off work.

Not to get off topic

Since the OP is properly licensed, couldn't he "hold" it for her indefinitely? She could then specifically include the shotgun in the will and not have to deal with an FFL.
Since it would then be a clear inheritance issue, he could file an FA-10 and be done.

Last edited:
Since the OP is properly licensed, couldn't he "hold" it for her indefinitely? She could then specifically include the shotgun in the will and not have to deal with an FFL.
Since it would then be a clear inheritance issue, he could file an FA-10 and be done.

But he would be in possetion of an unregestered firearm.. ??????????

No, because she can't legally be the owner in this state.

Since the OP is properly licensed, couldn't he "hold" it for her indefinitely?

That's an unregistered transfer, and it's illegal. The truth of the matter is that even an unlicensed person giving a gun to a licensed owner for a short while to 'hold' is not a completely legal situation either.

jadek said:
But he would be in possetion of an unregestered firearm.. ??????????

Guns are not registered in MA, certain transfers and acts of importation are.

I would like to thank everyone who posted on this thread to help me out, great people on this forum with quick response times. I went to C&F in Middleborough, MA and they took care of me; I'm 100% legal. C&F is a very small shop been opened for 5 months great guy. I think I may go back tomorrow and get a M&P 45 or glock pre 98 of course.

Back
Top Bottom