• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

L.A. to install subway body scanners to detect "mass-casualty" weapons

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Los Angeles is first in US to install subway body scanners
The machines scan for metallic and non-metallic objects on a person’s body, can detect suspicious items from 30 feet (9 meters) away and have the capability of scanning more than 2,000 passengers per hour.
“We’re looking specifically for weapons that have the ability to cause a mass-casualty event,” Wiggins said. “We’re looking for explosive vests, we’re looking for assault rifles. We’re not necessarily looking for smaller weapons that don’t have the ability to inflict mass casualties.”
Signs will be posted at stations warning passengers they are subject to body scanner screening. The screening process is voluntary, Wiggins said, but customers who choose not to be screened won’t be able to ride on the subway.

It's voluntary, but if you don't do it, no subway for you. I'm sure they won't be stopping people who are legally carrying a firearm and ask to see their papers, right? And I'm sure these machines have been tested for health hazards for years before being implemented right?
Everyday the noose gets tighter.

We are the absolutely WORST country in terms of respecting privacy. I think I'm now up to ~50 countries visited, including all of the 'BRIC' countries within the last 12 months. Most other countries including those in hot zones successfully employ simple metal detectors combined with security that focuses more upon who you are, not what you might have on your person. Also known as profiling is OK when warranted.

Somehow we are supposed to believe that backscatter technology is safe because it only penetrates clothing, not skin. Glad I have TSA Pre because as much as I fly, I don't want to be going through those things frequently.

It's voluntary, but if you don't do it, no subway for you. I'm sure they won't be stopping people who are legally carrying a firearm and ask to see their papers, right? And I'm sure these machines have been tested for health hazards for years before being implemented right?
Everyday the noose gets tighter.

It's Commiefornia. It's not like this is going to be an issue for anybody who is leagally carrying a firearm. After all, as of December, 2017, there are only like 197 concealed carry permits issued to the over 10 million residents. And, lets's be honest. If you are one of those 197 residents who could afford the permit, the chances are you aren't riding the subway.

I call BS on the ability to detect a "mass casualty" device - since a freaking lunchbox will probably set the scanner off.

And I'm wondering about "single casualty" devices, knives and guns. To my knowledge, carrying a knife or gun isn't illegal anywhere in the US - the illegal part is carrying it without being licensed, if a license is needed. So how do you stop someone to see if they are legal without harassing the law abiding.

Yes, I was chuckling while I typed this.

It's Commiefornia. It's not like this is going to be an issue for anybody who is leagally carrying a firearm. After all, as of December, 2017, there are only like 197 concealed carry permits issued to the over 10 million residents. And, lets's be honest. If you are one of those 197 residents who could afford the permit, the chances are you aren't riding the subway.
Wow, I didn't realize there were so few people with an LTC in LA. That aside, do you really think once this is in place it's going to just stay in California?

sounds like a nice situation rife for a lawsuit....
Wow, I didn't realize there were so few people with an LTC in LA.
?

There are less people in the entire state of CA with carry capable licenses than there are in MA. Ponder that for a moment.....

-Mike

There are less people in the entire state of CA with carry capable licenses than there are in MA. Ponder that for a moment.....
-Mike
I have to admit, I didn't know the populations of both states. The Google machine tells me it's around 6.8 million in MA, and about 39.5 million in CA. HOLY S#!T!:emoji_astonished:

It's voluntary
Here in the DPRM, it is not voluntary once you have indicated you are giving a govt checkpoint permission. Specifically, if they demand you submit your belongings for further search, you cannot withdraw consent.
f you are one of those 197 residents who could afford the permit
The permit cost is no big deal. The issue is being important enough for the licensing officer to be starstruck that (s)he is in a position to do something for you.

The permit cost is no big deal. The issue is being important enough for the licensing officer to be starstruck that (s)he is in a position to do something for you.

I misspoke to a degree. When I mentioned affording the permit, I was more alluding to the fact that those 197 or so folks are most likely part of the "special class" (i.e. connected to law enforcement, politicians, friends of the aforementioned, etc) and not part of the unwashed masses.

I misspoke to a degree. When I mentioned affording the permit, I was more alluding to the fact that those 197 or so folks are most likely part of the "special class" (i.e. connected to law enforcement, politicians, friends of the aforementioned, etc) and not part of the unwashed masses.
Sort of like NYC ... despite brushes with the law, the NYPD licensing officer's report on Sean Penn described him as an impressive applicant. 20 or so years ago I knew an NYC cop who was assigned to the licensing unit. He told me he was instructed to approve no more than 25% of applicants, and that included the target only permits.

But, I do know a "not famous" attorney who has a NYC carry permit - and I actually saw the thing.

I wonder what they will think of my grenade lighter?...

iu

For you oldtimers...

iu

Nope, but the manufacturer wants to take it "Nation-Wide"...

Wow, I didn't realize there were so few people with an LTC in LA. That aside, do you really think once this is in place it's going to just stay in California?

Nope, they are just the test dummies. It will be everywhere in short order.

Some company just got a sweetheart deal from some politician.......bank on it.

Of course not... They already said it was voluntary. Sort of how like taxes are voluntary.

Well, looking at the way the picture has it set up, it's only pointed at the escalator. So yeah, if you "voluntarily" take the escalator down with no warning, then you've consented. Exactly like how if you "voluntarily" work, you have to pay taxes. Perfect comparison!

Didn't MSP and NYC police already test something similar to this a few years back? If I recall, MSP set up a test stand at Logan.( I saw it in Terminal B) NYC had it in a van on city streets.

I mean they know AR's are at minimum like 22 inches long and about 10 inches high with a 30 round mag... Not exactly a seecamp there... Idiots doing idiot things

Sort of like NYC ... despite brushes with the law, the NYPD licensing officer's report on Sean Penn described him as an impressive applicant. 20 or so years ago I knew an NYC cop who was assigned to the licensing unit. He told me he was instructed to approve no more than 25% of applicants, and that included the target only permits.

But, I do know a "not famous" attorney who has a NYC carry permit - and I actually saw the thing.
Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were also approved for unrestricted carry licenses by NYPD, despite their well-publicized struggles with heroin and cocaine addiction. Guess money really does talk!

Back
Top Bottom