Knives, IWB fixed blade versus folding

Hey guys, I have a few questions to ask to get your opinions. I have to go to Albany,NY in a few weeks for work where I obviously won't be ale to carry a firearm so I have been looking into carrying a good knife. I usually carry a Benchmade folder 154cm but was looking into eith buying a good fixed blade or a assisted folder. Then I saw there are some IWB fixed blades out there. I don't mind spending the money on a quality blade. I will be there the better part of a week and will be working at night in a store installing cabinets and such. I m not sure of the location where I will be working or staying. I am just looking for you opinions nd suggestions. I was really curious about the IWB fixed blades if anyone as any experience with them though I imagine carrying a folding blade clipped to my pocket would be faster. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last I looked, Albany has a 4" blade length limit? Since your job involves installing cabinets, you might look for a knife which can plausibly be explained as work related.

With practice, a fixed blade knife would be "faster", just more difficult to conceal. A folder clipped to your pocket can be fast (especially with the "Emerson wave" feature), however some city cops (e.g. New York) are quick to hassle/arrest anybody with a visible pocket clip.

I am not sure, I am going to look into that also but seeing as they NY is as bad if not worse than MA I am not holding my breath. Either way I am going to carry a good blade.

Can anyone recommend a fixed blade with good sheath with a blade size of 4" or under? It doesnt need to come with sheath that cn be work IWB but needs to be availible. I haven't settled on a fixed blade but I have been looking for a quality small fixed blade for a while now. I was looking at the ESEE-3. There is just so much stuff out there. I have a budget of $200 or under.

I like my Ontario knife co RAT-3 which is comparable in some ways to the esee but you can get them for about $70-80.

So do you need to have. License to buy it like here? Also, how do they know where it was purchased? Does every can have a serial number or something that can be traced to the state?

Last edited:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/87796-Custom-Knife-Group-Buy-Update/page7

I like to carry with a sheath and clip set up like I did on the nes group buy knives. Great for multiple positions. Iwb owb vertical horizontal left hand right hand you name it.

I'm currently carrying a Japanese style blade in this style sheath

iPhoto-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom